Reply
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10866 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

VorxDargo wrote:
that is pay to own, you don't have to pay to actually play any multiplayer games. completely different things.

I am talking about Playstation Plus.

 

What is it you are talking about, again?

Message 11 of 43 (146 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/30/2010
Offline
2302 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

multiplayer, using PS+ to by games, discount movies, DLC is fine but after promising us they would NEVER charge online multiplayer people like myself had good reason to be upset over this. as i stated before free online multiplayer not only was one of key factors in making PS3 a contender to the x-box but it also made it one of a kind.

now if they made it so that PS+ user got a little bit more fuctions but still left a free to play option for other people then things would be different. but to force people who what to connected to friends who are on the other side of the country or on the other side of the world pay to do this instead of having it free like it's been for years. that is what is wrong here.

Message 12 of 43 (140 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10866 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

VorxDargo wrote:

multiplayer, using PS+ to by games, discount movies, DLC is fine but after promising us they would NEVER charge online multiplayer people like myself had good reason to be upset over this. as i stated before free online multiplayer not only was one of key factors in making PS3 a contender to the x-box but it also made it one of a kind.

now if they made it so that PS+ user got a little bit more fuctions but still left a free to play option for other people then things would be different. but to force people who what to connected to friends who are on the other side of the country or on the other side of the world pay to do this instead of having it free like it's been for years. that is what is wrong here.


Unfortunately, maintaining those servers you use isn't free.  The internet service required to serve hundreds of thousands of gamers isn't free.

 

Imagine starting up a gaming service for your neighborhood or your city.  The internet service for a server capable of hosting, say, 100 gamers simultaneously, would cost in the thousands of dollars per month.  The servers themselves would cost thousands of dollars initially and thousands of dollars per year to maintain and upgrade regularly.  How long do you think you'd be able to maintain this system for free to your customers?  Where is all of your operating cash coming from?

 

Now, expand that to include hundreds of thousands of gamers across hundreds of different games.

 

Sony is not breaking any promises (that they never made in the first place).  Multiplayer gaming remains free on the PS3 and the PS Vita.  Most online components of the PS4 will remain free (PSN Store, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Messaging, Social interaction, etc).  The only thing being added to PS+ is the ability to play online multiplayer, and then only with games from developers that decide to utilize it.

 

There are a number of confirmed PS4 games that will be free to play online.

 

With PS+, you are basically paying for the free games and other benefits and getting online multiplayer as a 'bonus' (since it is not currently included with PS+).  With XBLG, you are bascially paying to connect your 360/XB1 to the internet (you can't do anything online without it).

 

As for me, I will continue to pay for PS+, even though I don't play a lot of online multiplayer.

Message 13 of 43 (136 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/30/2010
Offline
2302 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

everyone keeps saying they are doing this for money, they were bringing in the same amount as x-box live with the current way things are set up and the current PS+ that is why PS3 was able to last as long as the 360 because dispite what everyone keeps saying they were making money! to keep falling back on they need money  when they're a multi billion dollar company and have kept a so called dying online community on for this long just proves other wise.

Message 14 of 43 (131 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/28/2010
Offline
124 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013
work...
Message 15 of 43 (126 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 09/13/2007
Offline
4404 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

ChangeDaBullets wrote:

What are you all doing to buy time while we wait patiently for the PS4 ?


 

I have "Splinter Cell: Blacklist" next month, then "Grand Theft Auto V" in September, then "Beyond Two Souls" and "Batman: Arkham Origins" in October.

 

And in between all those, I'm just trying to get caught up on my backlog list of PS3 games.

I won't knock them all out before I get a PS4, so I know my PS3 is still going to get a lot of use post-PS4.

 

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 16 of 43 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
2670 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

To people complaining about Sony charging us to play MP... Welcome to the future buddy!  I don't know why every gamer feels so entitled and wants everything for free.  You wonder why PSN is so laggy and slow compared to XBL.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 17 of 43 (119 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/09/2013
Offline
4945 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013
Play PS3. I'll probably get the PS4 as a graduation present next year.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 18 of 43 (114 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5476 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

Making redundant threads instead of posting in existing ones.

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/How-are-you-killing-time-in-gaming-while-...

 

Oh wait.....That's what you're doing. Smiley Embarassed

 

I guess I'm responding in redundant threads.



ne1atall wrote:

Making redundant threads instead of posting in existing ones.

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/How-are-you-killing-time-in-gaming-while-...

 

Oh wait.....That's what you're doing. Smiley Embarassed

 

I guess I'm responding in redundant threads.


This^.

 

That said, I don't buy my time, I bide it.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 19 of 43 (110 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 09/13/2007
Offline
4404 posts
 

Re: What are you all doing to buy time?

Jul 21, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

To people complaining about Sony charging us to play MP... Welcome to the future buddy!  I don't know why every gamer feels so entitled and wants everything for free.  You wonder why PSN is so laggy and slow compared to XBL.


Lag still exists on the Xbox. And will still exist on the PS4.

We are paying for a more stable PSN, not for dedicated game servers.

MP will still be peer-to-peer, like PS3 and Xbox 360, unless otherwise noted. (Like how MS announced Halo 5 will have dedicated servers.)

 

But, I'm fine with this. I'm a PS+ subscriber anyway. If it means it will reduce the chances of being suddenly kicked from PSN while playing MP, it is worth it. It doesn't mean we all have to love the idea, though.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 20 of 43 (109 Views)
Reply
0 Likes