First Son
5 posts

Re: What have you done to your PS3 to prevent YLOD?

Dec 5, 2012

Wow, I did not know that. Thank you for that info as well. With so much speculation and misinformation out there, I'm glad that I stumbled into the right group of people that actually cared enough to go the extra step and to provide accurate and correct, guides/tips.

Message 11 of 14 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8116 posts

Dec 5, 2012
I have only repasted my CELL/RSX twice and did plenty of internal cleaning.

My Dec. 2007 CECHL01 is still going fantastic and has plenty of mileage on it. The only issues are some artifacts in Skyrim but I never see them anywhere else. (Skyrim may be buggy, causing that)

I intend to keep the PS3 for a long time. When the GPU goes bad (plenty of artifacts) I would plan to replace it.
Message 12 of 14 (83 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 10, 2013

2 Playstation 3s Original design (Phat)  with poor airflow design and lead free solder, both succumbed to YLOD purley down to bad design on SONYs part, original games made for the PS3 used not much of the CELL CPU hence the PS3 not running very hot and 'coping' , later games such as BF3 etc that hammered the PS3 caused the CPU to heat up and melt the paste - This will happen to all original PS3 machines with the lead free solder -Sony should have recalled their expensive hardware and reballed the chips regardless of age as the design was flawed - Microsoft at least admitted their fault and replaced some machines!!.

Both my machines were reflowed using the Hairdryer method (Genius Idea), however once running he airflow is so strangled and the fan runs so slow the PS3 will cook again and fail!

Im currently trialing a method where ive reflowed the machine to get it back on , fitted a fan control (Get the digital one not just a POT on a wire!!) to speed up the fan inside the PS3 ( This fan is awesome when it is cranked up dont waste money on buying fans etc the one inside needs turning up) and to substantially increase the airflow ive cut a 90mm square in the bottom of the case where the fan is located and fitted a push fit grill these grills make the mod look tidy. Cutting the hole makes the fan louder but the airflow much better through the whole machine , it blasts out of the back grills(Someone else did this and was ridiculed on this forum,  he was a bit rough but the difference is amazing).

Ive also refitted the heatsinks using Arctic Silver, the ceramic sludge Sony used wasnt even unformly spread on the chips.

The PS3 gets warm in use now and is noisier but nowhere near as hot as before and it has been hammered and is showing no signs of failing ...Yet.

If only Sony had used a better solder and vented the case better these consoles would have lived forever the comparison in games with rival machines the PS3 is still way better and its a shame we have to try and correct faults and expect the YLOD - we should pay our money a rely on Sony to give us a great piece of kit without wondering when its going to fail, Sony in years gone by were the benchmark of exellence in home electronics and it justified their high prices, but sadly are tarnishing that image. 

Message 13 of 14 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Last Guardian
8351 posts

[ Edited ]
May 10, 2013
use a can of spray air. Once every few months clear the vents .Simple and easy. I keep mine on 24 hrs a day. I took out the extra warrenty' at the game stop for 25 bucks. If it ever breaks I get a new one. So don't worry to much about your machine. We live in a throw away world now and no one wants to spend money like they use to . So they make stuff cheap now . So just use your machine and enjoy it. If it blows up it blows up. lol
Message 14 of 14 (51 Views)
0 Likes