Dec 04 2012
By: NeonRTDreams First Son 5 posts

What have you done to your PS3 to prevent YLOD?

13 replies 496 views Edited Dec 4, 2012

Hi. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot or anything but I'm new here.

I wanted to know if there is anything else I should be doing?

My PS3 was blowing really, really hot air, and not much of it. About 5 to 10 mins after starting the system it would ratchet up to the highest setting on the fan, and stay there. Whether I was gaming or watching a movie or just in the XMB listening to music. In fear of YLOD (this behavior wasn't typical on my PS3) I started looking around for tips and tricks.

What I have done so far (and so far it has worked)

1. I switched out the hard drive for a larger SSD, 120GB Corsair Force GT. (I read where they use less power, run cooler, and they are faster than the traditional HD's.)

2. I already had the "cool" running power supply - the APS-226 power supply.

3. Took off the old thermal pads and cleaned the pad areas and used new thermal pads. These are high performance fiberglass reinforced with 5.0 W/m-K (almost x5 the heat transferring power of the old pads that were in my unit).

4. Cleaned off the old TIM paste and used IC Diamond 7.

5. I switched out the old 15 blade fan for a Talismoon Whisper 19 blade fan. (Be careful, these are not supposed to replace the 17 blade fans, even though they will fit.) (Also, quality control seems to be an issue with these, By reading reviews I guess I got lucky and got a good one. My fan doesn't wobble/grind/short out/etc.) I have read that if your concerned, just get the Sony 19 blade, it's just as good as the Talismoon.

6. I added a fan controller (it works great!) - Just do this search on eBay - Externally Adjustable PS3 Playstation 3 Fan Mod Speed Controller - Resist YLOD - He's in the UK, but I got the controller and controller knob in about a week after ordering it.

7. I set my PS3 on a laptop cooler to help airflow around the unit. The bottom felt hot, but since I put it on the laptop cooler, it feels fine underneath it now.

8. Installed a little fan in the back of my entertainment center, to pull room air over the PS3, and exhaust it out the back of the entertainment center. The center doesn't have any glass doors or anything, so I get pretty good airflow through the cabinet. (Before, the air in the cabinet felt warm when I stuck my hand in there. Now I can actually feel air movement and the air feels cooler.)

The unit was a Feb. of 2007 unit and has worked great up until about a month ago. Then is started getting hot. I got a message once telling me that it was overheating (I did NOT have any artifacts/glitches/etc.) so I shut it down and then performed the above steps. The unit has never had YLOD.  

Now it works like it did when new. BUT, is there anything else I should do?

Message 1 of 14 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Re: What have you done to your PS3 to prevent YLOD?

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

I have a launch day 60Gb and an 80Gb, both upgraded to 500Gb hdd's.

Other than replacing the thermal paste.... nothing. And they're still going strong.

Plus my room temp is a nice 68*F and I have an air purifier in every room to keep dust accumulation down

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 14 (478 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 4, 2012

That's a good idea, using air purifiers to keep dust and contaminates down. I didn't think of that, thanks. I do buy the canned air and use my vacuum's upholstery attachment to keep the dust out of the PS3. It gets cleaned about once a month. When I took it apart it had some dust in it on the bottom underneath the fan, but no "dust bunnies" or clumps of anything and the heatsink fins were unobstructed and clear.

Indoor temp varies from 66 (dead of winter) to 74 (summertime when it's like 100 degrees in the shade). I also run a dehumidifier, keeps my humidity below 45 to 50% (it depends on how high the humidity is outside).

I would like to get as much out of my PS3 as I can. So far, it hasn't really let me down.

Message 3 of 14 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3165 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Once every few month's I clean out the vent's if I notice dust piling up, but other then that I do nothing else. I have a 60 gb ps3 from 07 with an upgraded hdd of 320 gb. It did die on me once but that was because I had killed the power supply and had it fixed and it's been running for almost a year without problems.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 4 of 14 (462 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24488 posts

Dec 4, 2012
Message 5 of 14 (457 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Dec 4, 2012
I pray everytime time I turn it on xD I hope that keeps it runing forever.
Message 6 of 14 (450 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 4, 2012

NeonRTDreams wrote:

Hi. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot or anything but I'm new here.

I wanted to know if there is anything else I should be doing?

My PS3 was blowing really, really hot air, and not much of it. About 5 to 10 mins after starting the system it would ratchet up to the highest setting on the fan, and stay there. Whether I was gaming or watching a movie or just in the XMB listening to music. In fear of YLOD (this behavior wasn't typical on my PS3) I started looking around for tips and tricks.

What I have done so far (and so far it has worked)

1. I switched out the hard drive for a larger SSD, 120GB Corsair Force GT. (I read where they use less power, run cooler, and they are faster than the traditional HD's.)

2. I already had the "cool" running power supply - the APS-226 power supply.

3. Took off the old thermal pads and cleaned the pad areas and used new thermal pads. These are high performance fiberglass reinforced with 5.0 W/m-K (almost x5 the heat transferring power of the old pads that were in my unit).

4. Cleaned off the old TIM paste and used IC Diamond 7.

5. I switched out the old 15 blade fan for a Talismoon Whisper 19 blade fan. (Be careful, these are not supposed to replace the 17 blade fans, even though they will fit.) (Also, quality control seems to be an issue with these, By reading reviews I guess I got lucky and got a good one. My fan doesn't wobble/grind/short out/etc.) I have read that if your concerned, just get the Sony 19 blade, it's just as good as the Talismoon.

6. I added a fan controller (it works great!) - Just do this search on eBay - Externally Adjustable PS3 Playstation 3 Fan Mod Speed Controller - Resist YLOD - He's in the UK, but I got the controller and controller knob in about a week after ordering it.

7. I set my PS3 on a laptop cooler to help airflow around the unit. The bottom felt hot, but since I put it on the laptop cooler, it feels fine underneath it now.

8. Installed a little fan in the back of my entertainment center, to pull room air over the PS3, and exhaust it out the back of the entertainment center. The center doesn't have any glass doors or anything, so I get pretty good airflow through the cabinet. (Before, the air in the cabinet felt warm when I stuck my hand in there. Now I can actually feel air movement and the air feels cooler.)

The unit was a Feb. of 2007 unit and has worked great up until about a month ago. Then is started getting hot. I got a message once telling me that it was overheating (I did NOT have any artifacts/glitches/etc.) so I shut it down and then performed the above steps. The unit has never had YLOD.  

Now it works like it did when new. BUT, is there anything else I should do?

It sounds like you have already done a pretty good job. Perhaps you didn't apply your paste down properly or make tight enough conncections. 

You may want to try putting on a new coat of paste and try again.

If you haven't already seen my guide, there is a video step-by-step tutorial that you can follow along with.

The link to my guide is directly below:

Message 7 of 14 (437 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
638 posts

Dec 4, 2012
I haven't thought about air purifier either.
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 8 of 14 (407 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Actually, I found that page through a different search, those were the vids that I used to take my PS3 apart and put it back together :-{)>

When I went through the PS3, everything was good, no missing parts or plugs, decent coverage with TIM, etc. When I reassembled I bent the two "plates" a little more than they were from the factory (the "plates" that have two screws in them that holds the heatsink/fan on). I did replace the TIM paste on the heatsinks. lol, I didn't just pull it apart and then stick it back together in case anybody wanted to know. Maybe that's all I had to do was bend each one of those things just a little bit so it would put a little more tension on the heatsink.

Now that it is completely fixed I hope I can keep it that way!

By the way, that is an awesome link for preventing YLOD, thank you again Logical Dolphin.

Honorable mention to -

fixmyplaystation (thermal pads) (which is also endlesselectronics.org, they have the same contact info and address, they are very helpful and friendly)

circuit5urgeon (fan controller)

totalconsoleusa (Talismoon)

and ... Xoxide (IC Diamond 7)

Message 9 of 14 (383 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 5, 2012
I appreciate the feedback. I think that page is getting plenty of exposure since it is on the first page on Google.

FYI: Fixmyplaytation was originally a separate company when I first made that page. The owner contacted me because he wanted to sell his business. I then introduced him to Endless Electronics, and apparently they later purchased that business...
Message 10 of 14 (379 Views)
0 Likes