Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jan 03 2013
By: jimniner Monster Hunter 37 posts
Offline

When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

53 replies 547 views Edited Jan 3, 2013

Let me start by saying I want a PS Vita.  I wanted it from the moment I first saw it.

 

That being said, I'm not stupid or wasteful, and I already own a PSP.  I love my PSP.  I travel a lot and take it with me everywhere I go.  I use it to watch movies, play games, and sometimes even listen to music.  When I saw the PS Vita, I thought that Sony had listened to what the PSP community had been asking for: bigger screen, dual analog sticks, better wifi ... and on those issues, they did.

 

The touch screens are overkill, but look cool.  Still no common iOS/Android games available (Angry Birds, Bejeweled, etc.).

 

What really gets me are the following:

 

1 - Absolutely no consideration for the fact that PSP owners bought Sony's "media of the future" UMD games and movies.  There's no plan to carry that media forward onto the Vita.  They want us to re-buy that material at what they see as "friendly" prices.  $10 may sound friendly, but not when you have dozens of games and movies ... then you're talking about hundreds of dollars just to play/watch what you already own for the PSP.  This is a huge fail, and will continue to be the deviding line for most PSP owners who would like to upgrade.  There are many PSP games that are still better than most of what has been released for Vita, and we'd like to be able to play what we already own and love on the new system (in addition to new Vita titles).

 

2 - New proprietary media.  Seriously Sony!  The card you made is larger and twice as expensive as Micro SD cards.  What the heck? Quit trying to skewer us and just make it simple.  We'd buy more downloads if we could afford more memory.  Your new media card is no faster than Micro SD, and doesn't hold any more data.  This was another huge fail for you that is turning PSP owners off.  We already shelled out for the MS Pro Duo cards, don't hose us over again with something completely new and useless in any other device.  Even sticking with the PS Pro Duo would have been a better solution than another completely new format.

 

3 - No TV Out.  I know Sony doesn't think this one is a big deal, but when you travel a lot like me, it's an awesome feature that gets a lot of use.  Why would I buy and updated version of a product that doesn't even do all the things the old one does?  The back touch panel is nifty, but I'd rather have TV Out.

 

4 - Price.  No, I don't think $250 is too high for a bundle deal.  However, when you can get a brand new X-Box for $200, shelling out even $225 for a handheld just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Two things confuse me about this pricing strategy:

     (1) If Sony assumes that PS3 owners are a target for this product, why would they pay the same for the handheld as they did for the PS3?

     (2) For those of us that don't own a console system, why would we shell out more for a handheld than for a console?

 

5 - Games.  I know this is a dead horse that has been beaten, but this issue won't go away.  Sony assumes that the selling point for games is the pairing with the PS3, but it's not.  I don't own a PS3 and don't plan to.  I know dozens of PSP owners that are the same as me.  If I have to buy a PS3 to play God of War: Ascension on the PS Vita, then I won't buy either.  That's lame.  Sony has an amazing catalog of PS2 and PS3 games that should have PSP and PS Vita counterparts.  The PS Vita needs to stand on its own apart from the PS3.  The PS3 connectivity needs to be an added benefit, not a critical component of getting people to buy the PS Vita.  Too many of us don't want a PS3, and that connectivity requirement is a hindrance to us, not a benefit.

 

I want to give Sony money and take home a Vita.  However, I don't want a Vita if I still need to take my PSP too.  What Sony has proven in the last year is that fear of piracy is more lethal to the viability of their hardware than piracy is.  They shouldn't worry about people hacking the PS Vita, because practically nobody owns one.  The PSP 3000 is still outselling the PS Vita in Japan and the US!  That should tell Sony something, but if they're hearing it, they are painfully slow to react.  The Vita is dead on the vine if Sony can't convince PSP owners like myself to upgrade.  That's a simple fact.  Newcommers to the Sony handheld world just won't sustain that market for them.  They need to be able to sell a PS Vita to every PSP owner to make the numbers to get developers interested in making games for it.  This should have been a no brainer.  It should have been a piece of cake.  But what is plaguing the PS Vita right now is the fact that PSP owners are not interested in it until the concerns I've listed above are adequately adressed.  Offering us the opportunity to buy downloads of games we already purchased on UMD is far short of the mark to get us to buy a Vita.  We're looking at nearly $400 just to get out the door with the unit (in a bundle), a case, a screen protector, and a memory card (32 GB - the absolute minimum if everything is from downloads).  Asking us to cough up another $200+ to re-buy our games and movies is insulting.

 

Sony can do better.  

 

I hope that they do, or I'll be buying a PSP 3000 instead of a PS Vita.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 54 (547 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
11816 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013
Well, you just managed to summarize all the "problems" people keep talking about
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 54 (512 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/22/2012
Online
1084 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013

He did do a good job of listing the problems. A lot of what I have been thinking too. He is right about the psp units also. In my part of north carolina they all sold out. Even all the used one. I know someone that was looking for one at cristmas and said none to be found. There were plenty of vitas though.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 54 (494 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 06/20/2012
Online
2462 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013
The PSP isn't outselling the PSV in America, that's mere speculation. The only place where the PSP is indeed outselling the PSV is Japan~.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 54 (486 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013

jimniner wrote:

Let me start by saying I want a PS Vita.  I wanted it from the moment I first saw it.

 

That being said, I'm not stupid or wasteful, and I already own a PSP.  I love my PSP.  I travel a lot and take it with me everywhere I go.  I use it to watch movies, play games, and sometimes even listen to music.  When I saw the PS Vita, I thought that Sony had listened to what the PSP community had been asking for: bigger screen, dual analog sticks, better wifi ... and on those issues, they did.

 

The touch screens are overkill, but look cool.  Still no common iOS/Android games available (Angry Birds, Bejeweled, etc.).

 

What really gets me are the following:

 

1 - Absolutely no consideration for the fact that PSP owners bought Sony's "media of the future" UMD games and movies.  There's no plan to carry that media forward onto the Vita.  They want us to re-buy that material at what they see as "friendly" prices.  $10 may sound friendly, but not when you have dozens of games and movies ... then you're talking about hundreds of dollars just to play/watch what you already own for the PSP.  This is a huge fail, and will continue to be the deviding line for most PSP owners who would like to upgrade.  There are many PSP games that are still better than most of what has been released for Vita, and we'd like to be able to play what we already own and love on the new system (in addition to new Vita titles).

 

2 - New proprietary media.  Seriously Sony!  The card you made is larger and twice as expensive as Micro SD cards.  What the heck? Quit trying to skewer us and just make it simple.  We'd buy more downloads if we could afford more memory.  Your new media card is no faster than Micro SD, and doesn't hold any more data.  This was another huge fail for you that is turning PSP owners off.  We already shelled out for the MS Pro Duo cards, don't hose us over again with something completely new and useless in any other device.  Even sticking with the PS Pro Duo would have been a better solution than another completely new format.

 

3 - No TV Out.  I know Sony doesn't think this one is a big deal, but when you travel a lot like me, it's an awesome feature that gets a lot of use.  Why would I buy and updated version of a product that doesn't even do all the things the old one does?  The back touch panel is nifty, but I'd rather have TV Out.

 

4 - Price.  No, I don't think $250 is too high for a bundle deal.  However, when you can get a brand new X-Box for $200, shelling out even $225 for a handheld just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Two things confuse me about this pricing strategy:

     (1) If Sony assumes that PS3 owners are a target for this product, why would they pay the same for the handheld as they did for the PS3?

     (2) For those of us that don't own a console system, why would we shell out more for a handheld than for a console?

 

5 - Games.  I know this is a dead horse that has been beaten, but this issue won't go away.  Sony assumes that the selling point for games is the pairing with the PS3, but it's not.  I don't own a PS3 and don't plan to.  I know dozens of PSP owners that are the same as me.  If I have to buy a PS3 to play God of War: Ascension on the PS Vita, then I won't buy either.  That's lame.  Sony has an amazing catalog of PS2 and PS3 games that should have PSP and PS Vita counterparts.  The PS Vita needs to stand on its own apart from the PS3.  The PS3 connectivity needs to be an added benefit, not a critical component of getting people to buy the PS Vita.  Too many of us don't want a PS3, and that connectivity requirement is a hindrance to us, not a benefit.

 

I want to give Sony money and take home a Vita.  However, I don't want a Vita if I still need to take my PSP too.  What Sony has proven in the last year is that fear of piracy is more lethal to the viability of their hardware than piracy is.  They shouldn't worry about people hacking the PS Vita, because practically nobody owns one.  The PSP 3000 is still outselling the PS Vita in Japan and the US!  That should tell Sony something, but if they're hearing it, they are painfully slow to react.  The Vita is dead on the vine if Sony can't convince PSP owners like myself to upgrade.  That's a simple fact.  Newcommers to the Sony handheld world just won't sustain that market for them.  They need to be able to sell a PS Vita to every PSP owner to make the numbers to get developers interested in making games for it.  This should have been a no brainer.  It should have been a piece of cake.  But what is plaguing the PS Vita right now is the fact that PSP owners are not interested in it until the concerns I've listed above are adequately adressed.  Offering us the opportunity to buy downloads of games we already purchased on UMD is far short of the mark to get us to buy a Vita.  We're looking at nearly $400 just to get out the door with the unit (in a bundle), a case, a screen protector, and a memory card (32 GB - the absolute minimum if everything is from downloads).  Asking us to cough up another $200+ to re-buy our games and movies is insulting.

 

Sony can do better.  

 

I hope that they do, or I'll be buying a PSP 3000 instead of a PS Vita.


1. There was consideration made in Japan, but games prices are more expensive there so they needed that Passport program. Sony wasn't ever going to have a free upgrade path for anyone. I'm surprised that anyone was buying into the UMD movies, they were too expensive to begin with, so IMO it wasn't a surprise that format failed. The "digial copy"/Ultraviolet format makes far more sense today.

 

2. Given the priracy problems the PSP had, it is not a surprise that Sony went with a proprietary format for the VIta. While the prices seem to be expensive, it is about the same as other Sony branded memory sticks. The big difference is that there is no 3rd party format available, once/if that happens prices should go down.

 

3. This might happen. There is still that accessories port on the top of the Vita that no one knows what it is for.

 

4. The same was true for the PSP, it started out at $250 and was far more expensive than the PS2, and it didn't seem to negitvely effect sales. The difference this time around is that there are other simular devices like smartphones and tablets that some customers might find more useful to invest in for the same cost.

 

The price should be coming down this year. An independent source estimates it costs Sony $160 to make a Vita, so IMO Sony is trying to make the most profit for as long as possible. 

 

5. Actually there is very little Vita PS3 interaction in the majority of Vita titles, but I think that will change next year. Sony should be trying to attract more PS3 owners with more Vita interaction, with experiences like the Wii U, but this will probably be optional and not a requirement. Sony is also discouraging PS3 ports on the Vita, encouraging more independent efforts.

 

There is also the fact that only a fraction of the PSP games are available to download on PSN, so most likely you wouldn't be able to download all the games you already own on the PSP. I suggest you hold on to your PSP, as the Vita won't ever be a complete replacement for that product.

 

For me including the Vita in the PS+ program is a big incentive to buying a Vita, with the savings you get with accessing those full Vita games, PSN games, and PSP downloads. If that doesn't appeal to you, I suggest waiting until the price drops, or you see some games you can't live without...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 54 (476 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 05/26/2010
Online
323 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013

so when you upgrade to blu ray are they supposed to blu ray all your old dvds? or standard def tv to hd? do you think they should upgrade you for free? what a moron

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 54 (449 Views)
Monster Hunter
Registered: 01/02/2013
Offline
35 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013

While i sympathize with you about spending money on bought items you already have i totally 100% agree with AriesSiren.

Weather you like it or totally hate it Sony is a business and like any other business they must make decision to get a large profit from what they are selling. Why do you think they have made the change to the memory cards?

Besides if you actually wanted the vita that much you would purchase it.. Me being a PS3 user and not a previous psp user; i love the system, and once you try it you will be hooked. The Vita is no longer a sole gaming device it is a multimedia console that although is expensive is worth it.

New PS Vita Player! Looking for new friends Add me! ( KombatKingx209 )
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 54 (440 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/14/2001
Offline
1006 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013

First, welcome and thanks for posting. Having a conversation about this is a good thing(tm).


It sounds like you have really enjoyed your PSP. I really enjoyed mine before I finished up the UMD games on it and sold it off when I picked up a PS Vita. I think you've gotten your money's worth from the console and the games you bought for it, dollars spent per hour of entertainment value.


You really can't link the Vita and PSP together in terms of capability. The Vita is a far, far superior handheld in every respect as far as I'm concerned. The market has really changed, and time marches on.


Let's go point by point, though, because your opinion is important and I want to speak to your concerns as best I can.



jimniner wrote:
...

The touch screens are overkill, but look cool.


I disagree, they're very responsive and when developers use them appropriately they are quite good.


 Still no common iOS/Android games available (Angry Birds, Bejeweled, etc.).

While there are very few small, mobile-style bite-sized games, they do exist. Sunflowers is a great game which was ported from iOS. Jetpack Joyride is out this week for PS Vita (and PS3) and is an excellent port, and is free to play to boot. Treasures of Montezuma Blitz is a Bejeweled-style match-three free-to-play game that got a lot better with a couple of patches.


jimniner wrote:
... 

What really gets me are the following:

 

1 - Absolutely no consideration for the fact that PSP owners bought Sony's "media of the future" UMD games and movies. ...


No UMD drive, and really you can see why. A mechanical, spinning disc would eat battery pretty fast. The disc capacity would be low compared to games they want to put out today, and that mechanism could be replaced with high capacity memory, the rear touch pad, and more. It opens up lots of things.


That said, I agree that I would have liked to see the ability to send in a UMD and at least get a token discount off of the digital PSP game if it existed. Remember not everything that hit UMD was ever turned into a digital download because it takes developer time and money to do that, not necessarily Sony time and money.


Developers need to make money, and developers have long said that the PSP piracy rate killed their businesses. Are they going to go back and make a digital version of a game they never made money on or made so little on, or are they going to make something new hopefully for Vita with all the great features -- Near, LiveArea comments, Trophies, front and back touch options -- we want at a higher price point and potentially new money? I'd like them to spend their time on the Vita so they can succeed, wouldn't you?


jimniner wrote:
...

2 - New proprietary media.  Seriously Sony!  The card you made is larger and twice as expensive as Micro SD cards.  What the heck? Quit trying to skewer us and just make it simple.  We'd buy more downloads if we could afford more memory.  Your new media card is no faster than Micro SD, and doesn't hold any more data.  This was another huge fail for you that is turning PSP owners off.  We already shelled out for the MS Pro Duo cards, don't hose us over again with something completely new and useless in any other device.  Even sticking with the PS Pro Duo would have been a better solution than another completely new format.

 


I think piracy is the main reason for this custom card format. You can't use it in a computer so hackers can't load hacking software into it easily. I didn't like coughing up the 100 bucks for the 32GB card, but I'm glad I did. Even though the cards have gone down to $60 lately, I'm not upset.


Security isn't absolute, it's all about hurdles. Make the bar high enough and only the extremely determined will keep at it. The casual people -- people who pirated PSP games and movies like crazy and easily taught each other how to do it back in the day just because they could -- those people will give up and stop bleeding your business into the red.


jimniner wrote:
...

3 - No TV Out.  I know Sony doesn't think this one is a big deal, but when you travel a lot like me, it's an awesome feature that gets a lot of use.  Why would I buy and updated version of a product that doesn't even do all the things the old one does?  The back touch panel is nifty, but I'd rather have TV Out.

 


The number of people who used this feature versus the number of PSPs sold is probably infinitesimally small. I never, ever was tempted to use it. Especially since (a) it didn't exist on the original PSP (b) you had to BUY additional cables to use it which kills adoption right there and (c) games upscaled looked pretty bad in videos I had seen.




jimniner wrote:
...

4 - Price.  No, I don't think $250 is too high for a bundle deal.  However, when you can get a brand new X-Box for $200, shelling out even $225 for a handheld just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Two things confuse me about this pricing strategy:

     (1) If Sony assumes that PS3 owners are a target for this product, why would they pay the same for the handheld as they did for the PS3?

     (2) For those of us that don't own a console system, why would we shell out more for a handheld than for a console?

 


The Vita is a new product with new technology and features, the PS3 is six years or so old and has gone through several revisions of its very old components to miniaturize them down and cut costs. The Vita just costs more. How much does a smartphone cost off contract? $600. You can't carry the PS3 with you and play it anywhere. You can with the Vita. The PS3 is a great console -- still highly recommended to my friends even if the PS4 may be coming out in Fall 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if Vita owners like me have a good excuse to wait for the first PS4 price cut by having a blast with our Vita systems in the meantime.


jimniner wrote:
...

5 - Games.  I know this is a dead horse that has been beaten, but this issue won't go away.  Sony assumes that the selling point for games is the pairing with the PS3, but it's not.  I don't own a PS3 and don't plan to.  I know dozens of PSP owners that are the same as me.  If I have to buy a PS3 to play God of War: Ascension on the PS Vita, then I won't buy either.  That's lame.  Sony has an amazing catalog of PS2 and PS3 games that should have PSP and PS Vita counterparts.  The PS Vita needs to stand on its own apart from the PS3.  The PS3 connectivity needs to be an added benefit, not a critical component of getting people to buy the PS Vita.  Too many of us don't want a PS3, and that connectivity requirement is a hindrance to us, not a benefit.


The selling point for games is entertainment, and there are no connectivity requirements between games.

You NEVER have to buy a PS3 game to get the Vita game when a game exists on both platforms. You can buy the Vita game. Example: PlayStation Battle Royale All Stars. You can buy the Vita digital download version. You can buy the Vita card version at retail. Or you can buy the PS3 version of the game and get a Vita version digital download voucher in the box for free. It's your choice. Sly Cooper 4 coming in 2013 will be the same way.


The only Cross Play game I can think of now is a special LittleBigPlanet 2 download from PS3 to the Vita to let you play part of LittleBigPlanet 2 on the Vita when you buy a $5 DLC pack for LBP2. It's that specific. LittleBigPlanet for PS Vita -- an excellent game I bought at retail on day one since me and my kids love the LBP games -- has no connection or data sharing with LBP1 or LBP2. You don't need LBP Vita to do the Cross Play in the LBP 2 levels.


It sounds like you might not know what the Cross initiatives really mean and how they are implemented. They're really icing on the cake for PS3 owners and a bullet point to encourage buying it. No PS3? No problem, the Vita games play great on the Vita and you don't have to use Cross Save or Cross Play. Cross Buy is just a perk, it doesn't take away from the Vita game.


jimniner wrote:
...

 

I want to give Sony money and take home a Vita.  However, I don't want a Vita if I still need to take my PSP too.  What Sony has proven in the last year is that fear of piracy is more lethal to the viability of their hardware than piracy is.  They shouldn't worry about people hacking the PS Vita, because practically nobody owns one.  The PSP 3000 is still outselling the PS Vita in Japan and the US!  That should tell Sony something, but if they're hearing it, they are painfully slow to react.  The Vita is dead on the vine if Sony can't convince PSP owners like myself to upgrade.  That's a simple fact.  Newcommers to the Sony handheld world just won't sustain that market for them.  They need to be able to sell a PS Vita to every PSP owner to make the numbers to get developers interested in making games for it.  This should have been a no brainer.  It should have been a piece of cake.  But what is plaguing the PS Vita right now is the fact that PSP owners are not interested in it until the concerns I've listed above are adequately adressed.  Offering us the opportunity to buy downloads of games we already purchased on UMD is far short of the mark to get us to buy a Vita.  We're looking at nearly $400 just to get out the door with the unit (in a bundle), a case, a screen protector, and a memory card (32 GB - the absolute minimum if everything is from downloads).  Asking us to cough up another $200+ to re-buy our games and movies is insulting.

 

Sony can do better.  

 

I hope that they do, or I'll be buying a PSP 3000 instead of a PS Vita.


Sony is listening. Their survival depends on it.

It still sounds like price is your big sticking point on the system. If it gets cheap enough you'll look the other way on the little things that will become less important over time.

Black Friday had some great deals on the system, really. I paid $250 for the wifi unit + $100 for the memory card when I picked up mine, and they were selling the wifi unit with a small memory card and a game for $200 in some cases. Look around, get a deal with a gift card or on sale -- retailers are playing ball here, you just have to keep your eyes open.

I recommend CheapAssGamer.com, they're a great site for tracking retailers weekly deals and game deals. Hit the forums, you won't be disappointed. They have a fun podcast too.

In the end I hope you can treat the Vita as a new platform that happens to also allow you to play some PSP digital games on it from the back catalog. Those games do go on sale from time to time -- I bought GTA Chinatown Wars and found it played so much better on my Vita with the dual sticks than on the PSP that I finished it off finally after getting the Vita.


I haven't mentioned PS Plus, either, which is a huge value for the Vita over the PSP. You could buy nothing but Plus for a year on Vita and have plenty of games to play, including some quality digital PSP downloads and discounts on games if you are done with the free ones. That should definitely be on your radar as part of any bundle -- $5/month for a rolling updating library of great downloadable games can't be beat.

PSNProfiles.com - InfinityDevil
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 54 (402 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 11/27/2012
Offline
37 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013

 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?
 

so when you upgrade to blu ray are they supposed to blu ray all your old dvds? or standard def tv to hd? do you think they should upgrade you for free? what a moron

equal rights for all
 
 
Okay dipstick, let's pretend like you understand your own point.  When you buy a blu-ray player, you can still play your old DVDs on it.  You don't have to buy the Blu-Ray version of a DVD you already own unless you want to.  That's not even close to being the same issue.  
 
You make my point for me.  When Apple updates the iPad, iPod or iPhone, you don't have to buy new versions of the apps/games you already own.  They just work.  When Sony updates it's portable gamer, you lose access to your old games.  You would think the PSP Go would have taught them this lesson.  Nobody bought that unit either.
 
 
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 54 (400 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 4, 2013
The big issue with the PSPgo was that Sony could rarely get the digital PSP versions to come out at the same time as the retail version, mainly because the digital rights were never mandated for PSP releases. So you had notable exceptions for a digital PSP games like FF VII Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts. Not only was the PSPgo too expensive, you could only play a fraction of the PSP games available, so it isn't too surprising that it failed.

With the Vita, I believe practically all the retail games are available for digital download at the same time as the retail release

Apple uses the basically the same hardware (and same OS) for their line of products, so apps can easily be compatible. There is very little in common (technology wise) between the Vita and PSP. It took them months to make the Vita compatible with PSone and PSP games, and still not all of them are compatible...
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 54 (394 Views)
Reply
0 Likes