PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: sRe: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 10, 2013
Sony is having an event next month just for PlayStation, where you will probably start to hear the announcements you are looking for, and the rumor is that the PS4 will be shown there for the first time.....

There was a little Xbox news, and it is pretty interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=re1EatGRV0w
Message 51 of 54 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Re: When will Sony reach out to PSP owners?

Jan 10, 2013

BrendanCBear wrote:

jimniner wrote:

1 - Absolutely no consideration for the fact that PSP owners bought Sony's "media of the future" UMD games and movies.  There's no plan to carry that media forward onto the Vita.  They want us to re-buy that material at what they see as "friendly" prices.  $10 may sound friendly, but not when you have dozens of games and movies ... then you're talking about hundreds of dollars just to play/watch what you already own for the PSP.  This is a huge fail, and will continue to be the deviding line for most PSP owners who would like to upgrade.  There are many PSP games that are still better than most of what has been released for Vita, and we'd like to be able to play what we already own and love on the new system (in addition to new Vita titles).

I've said this before, backwards compatibility is never a requirement for releasing something. It's an additional feature. Let's assume I own a PS1, a PS2 and now I'm going to buy a PS3. There is no reason for me to buy a PS3 TO play old games. I'm buying a PS3 for PS3 games, Blu-Ray movies, but I'm not buying it to play classics. It's unfortunate that your physical collection is almost penniless in  value, but it's not Sony's responsibiltiy to dig you out. What they did was they underestimated the scene. They left the game image on UMDs completely unencrypted. If anything they should do a partnership with GameStop or another large retailer to let people exchange their UMDs for PSN title codes. It would be simple and a great way to get people to switch, but first they need to fix the Classics section as there are a lot of GREAT PSP titles missing, and even more PS1 Classics missing.

Not trying to be combative, but if you've said it before, why do you feel the need to say it again in response to the original camment in the thread?  A lot has been added since then.  

As I've said before, the example of DVD vs. Blu-Ray is a bad one ... because, in recognition of the fact that consumers will not want to abandon their existing DVD collections when upgrading to a blu-ray player, Sony made the Blu-Ray players backwards compatible so they would still play regular DVDs.  The PS line is a little different.  Here's where I don't understand Sony.  If the goal is to get your existing customers to upgrade to the newest version of the product, the biggest selling point ... especially for early adopters of gaming systems ... is to give them the ability to play their old games on the new system while the games catalog for the new system devlops.  I've never reallyunderstood why Sony doesn't do this.  I agree, that when a consumer buys a PS3, it is to play PS3 games ... but in the earliest months following release, the game catalog is still very young.  Additionally, there are always titles that you hold onto so you can go back and play them again in the future.  It's not a selling point to create a new system that only plays the old games ... but it is a selling point early in the product's life that it can, because the backlog of games for the new system is still in its infancy.

Like you said, there are some great PSP classics that are still unavilable for the PS Vita.  If they weren't a feature you're looking for, why would you notice that?  While the PS Vita game catalog is its infancy, PSP Classics are a viable option.  They aren't the only thing you're going to want t play on the Vita, but I would want to hold onto my GOW, Final Fantasy, and a couple other titles that I know are good while great games are being developed for Vita.

I agree with your idea of product codes for the downloads, but I also understand that Sony can't lay $50 million on the table just to make PSP owners happy while they try to establish the market for the Vita.  Even offering one or two PSP CLassics downloads with the purchase of a Vita would satisfy people like me.  I wouldn't care, except that there aren't a whole lot of titles pending release from series that I really get into. There are 3 or 4 games that I would buy new, and that's from the list of what's out and what we know is coming in 2013.  While that list is short, being able to carry over my PSP GOW titles would add to my game options on the Vita while new titles are in construction.

It's really a moot point, because Sony isn't going to do anything, and I can't really blame them too much.  It's too expensive, and they're too far into the release already to do anything like this without looking desperate.  What they'll really need is some big titles on the relase slate.    Potential Vita buyers need to see more coming out for it.  Right now the release schedule is pretty thin.  I am very impressed by the Vita, and will ultimately end up buying one ... I've pretty much come to terms with that.  I love my PSP, and the Vita is an even better piece of tech.  Right now, I'm just waiting to see what kind of price drop hits in 2013 and kind of want to see if we get any surprises at E3 (or sooner).  Until then, I will keep enjoying my PSP.

Message 52 of 54 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Sony is having an event next month just for PlayStation, where you will probably start to hear the announcements you are looking for, and the rumor is that the PS4 will be shown there for the first time.....

I hadn't seen anything on that yet, but it's good to know.  I don't want folks to get me wrong, a lot of my original post was venting.  It kind of ticks me off that to get into a Vita I have to basically trash all my UMDs.  Not even because of the financial investment, but because there are some great games in there that I could play on the Vita while newer and better games are in the development process for Vita.  The Vita is awesome, I am not arguing that.  I just think Sony could learn a little from some other big producers in similar segments.  Retaining customer loyalty and brand loyalty is hard in this time of constant tech advancement.  It seems like we get some new gizmo every week that is going to "revolutionize" some aspect of some product segment.  I just feel like all the excitement I had about a new PSP, the PS Vitaby my consideration, was kind of deflated in the launch process and first year of life for the Vita.  I want Sony to get it back.  I really do. I want to feel a better sense of comfort that if I part with the $400+ it is going to cost to start over with the Vita, that I won't be wasting my money on a system that will be dead in the water a year later.  Right now, I just don't see any more support for the Vita in it's first year of life than I do for the PSP in its 9th.  I think that's what a lot of folks are waiting to see sorted out.  I really want Sony to knock my socks off this year with the Vita.  For the sake of the Vita, and the Sony mobile gaming product segment.  I don't want a DS (any version of it).  I don't like the design, and don't want to play Mario.  I want the Vita, but I want to buy it knowing that I have year's of great games coming, not months.

Message 53 of 54 (49 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2013

jimniner wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I hadn't seen anything on that yet, but it's good to know.  I don't want folks to get me wrong, a lot of my original post was venting.  It kind of ticks me off that to get into a Vita I have to basically trash all my UMDs.  Not even because of the financial investment, but because there are some great games in there that I could play on the Vita while newer and better games are in the development process for Vita.  The Vita is awesome, I am not arguing that.  I just think Sony could learn a little from some other big producers in similar segments.  Retaining customer loyalty and brand loyalty is hard in this time of constant tech advancement.  It seems like we get some new gizmo every week that is going to "revolutionize" some aspect of some product segment.  I just feel like all the excitement I had about a new PSP, the PS Vitaby my consideration, was kind of deflated in the launch process and first year of life for the Vita.  I want Sony to get it back.  I really do. I want to feel a better sense of comfort that if I part with the $400+ it is going to cost to start over with the Vita, that I won't be wasting my money on a system that will be dead in the water a year later.  Right now, I just don't see any more support for the Vita in it's first year of life than I do for the PSP in its 9th.  I think that's what a lot of folks are waiting to see sorted out.  I really want Sony to knock my socks off this year with the Vita.  For the sake of the Vita, and the Sony mobile gaming product segment.  I don't want a DS (any version of it).  I don't like the design, and don't want to play Mario.  I want the Vita, but I want to buy it knowing that I have year's of great games coming, not months.

When the PSP first came out there wasn't really anything like it. It was touted as a multimedia product that can store all your music, play video, and play games. Because the product was so unique at the time, there was tons of support from 3rd paries and accessory makers because they speculated that the product was going to do well. 

Flash forward to 2011, and now we are in an environment where Apple & Android have filled in that portable multimedia product void quite well, and the Vita's only unique aspect is that it can play advanced games. The multimedia aspects of the Vita will probably only to people that don't have a smartphone or a tablet. So I can easily see why the Vita (even in the best case senario) doesn't have the same amount of hype or buzz surrounding it. 

Having said that Sony's CEO recently said that while the Vita has performed "on the lower end of expectations" they are still committed to the product and will still support it for years to come. He also stated that the 3 core businesses Sony is going to concentrate on going forward are Imaging, Mobile, and Gaming; so in one way or another Sony will stay commited to the Vita. 

In your case you should wait until you see something that certainly attracts you to the platform. But I think Sony is really going to concentrate more on PSV/PS3 Cross-Play & Cross-Buy initiatives; since I believe it will be far easier to convince a PS3 owner to buy a Vita, rather than a brand new customer. I also believe that the Vita will be very important to how it will work with the PS4...

Message 54 of 54 (45 Views)
0 Likes