Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 02 2010
By: FairlyOddChelle Lombax Warrior 149 posts

Where's my free three months?

13 replies 26 views Edited Jul 2, 2010

"Playstation Plus will be available starting later this month for a full year subscription for $49.99 or a three month subscription for $17.99. In addition, for a limited time, we will be offering three months free. Every month we'll be adding new content......."

This is exactly how it was said at E3. Feel free to YouTube the press conferences. I still have it on my Tivo and also recorded on my cellphone  (had to sent it to my boyfriend because he kept questioning if I was sure about the 3 months free). If it was an added three month bonus, then it should have been worded entirely different. Perhaps, "...for $49.99, with three months for free. Or a three month subscription for $17.99". He shouldn't have broke in his speech. Instead, it was said as a completely different sentence and separate thought. I'm completely disappointed in Sony. They need to find a way to rectify this. The "free" 3 months did not have any contingencies when stated at E3. I am interested in this service, but I feel like we deserve that free three months that was given to us.

For a company that spent so much time and energy exhorting the virtues of a free online service, to charge for marginally useful access and other nebulous online things, this is just another slap in the face of PS3 owners who were previously told that rumble is last gen, backwards compatibility is great and the versatility of their system in allowing other operating systems to be used on their hardware was a great feature.
- Lono, Sarcastic Gamer

Message 1 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Re: Where's my free three months?

Jul 2, 2010
Not gonna happen. If you want PS+ you're going to have to pay for it.
Message 2 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Jul 2, 2010

You should be glad they're giving 3 months free at all even if it's only included with the 1 year subscription. There's no point in them giving 3 months free without a purchase because chances are you won't be paying customers so why should they care?

Message 3 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

Jul 2, 2010

You have to buy the year to get the "bonus" three months free, you bum.

----------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssjTeXas
YouTube ssjTeXas
Message 4 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3109 posts

Jul 2, 2010

It's still a current offer.

As you can see from the Ad:

Edit: Nevermind I miss-conceived your article.

Message 5 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Jul 2, 2010

HK_TEXAS wrote:

Right...it makes me a "bum". It's not a matter of being cheap. It's a matter of right and wrong. If it was a mistake on their part, they can at least own up to it. The other system usually offers a free month of their online service with the purchase of many titles. So, it would sense for them to give users a free month of it, since it is new and all. Then when it was stated as three, I was a bit shocked, but grateful and excited. Regardless of how people feel, there is obviously no denying that they are in the wrong.

And where in his quote do you see/read "bonus"? 

For a company that spent so much time and energy exhorting the virtues of a free online service, to charge for marginally useful access and other nebulous online things, this is just another slap in the face of PS3 owners who were previously told that rumble is last gen, backwards compatibility is great and the versatility of their system in allowing other operating systems to be used on their hardware was a great feature.
- Lono, Sarcastic Gamer

Message 6 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Yes it sucks that Jack misspoke. It was a mistake, don't expect Sony or any company to ever admit to a big mistake, as that opens them up for a lawsuit. Anyway you won't be getting 3 months free unless you join. So join now and you'll get the service at $3.33 a month, it's really pretty easy to get your moneys worth out of the service. If you like this months Avatars, you now just have to get $2.33 worth, if you just play one of the games they offer for a few hours, you'll get your moneys worth. Some months are going to be better, and some worse, just depends mostly on what games you already have bought from the store.

Trust me I'm as cautious about my money as anyone, but really we're talking $3.33. 4 games a month, avatars, themes, other DLC, store discounts, auto downloads of game updates, and future services which you can expect Netflix without the disc, Hulu Plus, Cross Game Chat, etc etc. Sony has given gamers plenty of freebies over the years, they still allow free online gaming, but expect most things from here on out to be part of PS+, they are a business, and considering I own both consoles, Sony treats their customers far better than the competition.

Message 7 of 14 (26 Views)
PlayStation MVP
155 posts

Jul 2, 2010

FairlyOddChelle wrote:

HK_TEXAS wrote:

Right...it makes me a "bum". It's not a matter of being cheap. It's a matter of right and wrong. If it was a mistake on their part, they can at least own up to it. The other system usually offers a free month of their online service with the purchase of many titles. So, it would sense for them to give users a free month of it, since it is new and all. Then when it was stated as three, I was a bit shocked, but grateful and excited. Regardless of how people feel, there is obviously no denying that they are in the wrong.

And where in his quote do you see/read "bonus"? 

the other system offers those free months with flagship titles whose main selling point is online play

Message 8 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8450 posts

Jul 2, 2010

FairlyOddChelle wrote:
The other system usually offers a free month of their online service with thepurchase of many titles.

Bingo. 

And with PSN+ you get 3 free months with the purchase of 12.  Jack may have misspoke at one point in the press conference, but I remember clearly hearing him state a little later that anyone that purchases the one year subscription would receive 3 months free.

Taken out of context, you can make anything out of anything anyone says.  The FULL context of the press conference was that you buy 12 months, you get 3 free.  I was never confused by this fact.

Message 9 of 14 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
238 posts

Jul 3, 2010

People seem to think that this statement is a promise of three months absolutely free with no strings attached.  But that's not what was said.  The quote you provided was "For a limited time we will be offering a free three months."  Why would they use the phrase "offer" it if it was absolutely free, they would just deliver free PSN+ content to the normal PSN store.  The word "Offer" had strings attached.  You have to buy a year to get it.  It's still being offered so he didn't mis-speak, he didn't promise something and not deliver.  People are simply assuming it meant free with no strings and now they are getting upset that their assumption was wrong.   

This happens in advertising all the time.  For example those interest free for one year offers they make all the time.  Read the fine print and it says, if you don't pay the full amount by the end of the year you will be charged 1 years interest.  So if you don't read and meet the fine print details you don't get the item interest free at all.

I think it was mis-leading the way he said it and I don't entirely disagree with people who are bummed about it. But when hear the words "Limited offer" I ask for clarification and look for the fine print EVERY time!   

Message 10 of 14 (26 Views)