Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
2951 posts

Re: Which company won gen 7 in your eyes?

Jul 20, 2013

I'd say the two seventh generation winners are the Wii and PS3. You could make an arguement for either. The Wii sold the most consoles (by a pretty wide margin), but it was mostly due to it's low price tag and it's appeal to a wider audience. The PS3 ranked second in units sold despite having the most expensive console. The PS3 also arguably had the best selection of games and the best hardware of the seventh generation. The Xbox 360 is pretty clearly in third place, but it still made a strong showing and made big improvments over the original Xbox.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
2,000+ followers | 125+ subscribers
Message 31 of 50 (116 Views)
Welcoming Committee
8925 posts

Jul 20, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

I'd say the two seventh generation winners are the Wii and PS3. You could make an arguement for either. The Wii sold the most consoles (by a pretty wide margin), but it was mostly due to it's low price tag and it's appeal to a wider audience. The PS3 ranked second in units sold despite having the most expensive console. The PS3 also arguably had the best selection of games and the best hardware of the seventh generation. The Xbox 360 is pretty clearly in third place, but it still made a strong showing and made big improvments over the original Xbox.

Yea the Wii had a pretty decent selection of games that could appeal to more than just one area of gamers.

As for the PS3, from what I've seen so far, it has a good game selection as well... and that's one of the reasons why I've been looking into getting one.

Message 32 of 50 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1469 posts

Jul 20, 2013
I have a wii and never play it. I'm sure many people have wii's but never play them thats why i would say Nintendo did not win.

People are focusing to much on sale numbers. if we did that the thread should have ended on page 1.
Message 33 of 50 (108 Views)
Wastelander
680 posts

Jul 20, 2013
I was just snooping around some IR sites and saw that Sony and Nintendo sold around the same about of consoles last year.

PS2/PS3/PSP/PS Vita sales all added up to 23.5 million(182.7m SW)

Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS sold 23.73 million(147.02m SW)

Whoever said Nintendo doesn't sell software is absolutely right.

360 btw sold 9.9 million. They don't disclose software numbers.

With Nintendo getting so much of its money through download sales, Microsoft seeing money from LIVE and SCE straddling both forms of money making this next gen will be interesting.
Message 34 of 50 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4078 posts

Jul 20, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:
I was just snooping around some IR sites and saw that Sony and Nintendo sold around the same about of consoles last year.

PS2/PS3/PSP/PS Vita sales all added up to 23.5 million(182.7m SW)

Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS sold 23.73 million(147.02m SW)

Whoever said Nintendo doesn't sell software is absolutely right.

360 btw sold 9.9 million. They don't disclose software numbers.

With Nintendo getting so much of its money through download sales, Microsoft seeing money from LIVE and SCE straddling both forms of money making this next gen will be interesting.

what were the software numbers?

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 35 of 50 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Jul 20, 2013
In parentheses.
Message 36 of 50 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4078 posts

Jul 20, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:
In parentheses.

Oh I didn't notice that. I just know that the software sales arn't that great compared to hardware 

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 37 of 50 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2488 posts

Jul 20, 2013
It's a tricky question; I see a lot of people saying that the Wii lost momentum after the first 4 years and they are absolutely right. However, the PS3 didn't gain any momentum after about the same time frame. So, the way I see it, neither of them managed to be relatively successful through the generation. To me, to win a generation you've to be doing well the entire time, you don't have to be doing amazing, but you can't be doing poorly~.

The Wii had amazing titles at first, Mario Galaxy 2 was a game changer and whether we like it or not, the motion controls and move games moved millions of people back into partying with a console. But of course, after the first half of its Life, the Wii indeed lacked novelty. On the other hand, Sony had its worst start ever with the PS3. True, they had a huge comeback, but what about that first half of its life? It does detract a lot~.

So, if we don't judge based on sales numbers (in which case the Wii destroyed everybody), I'd think the XBOX 360 won. It's true that they lack the appeal of Nintendo's or Sony's exclusives but when you buy a console, you are hoping to buy a system that will give you fun during its entire lifetime, not just at some stage of its life. And in that regard, the XBOX 360 managed to do better than the other two, the other two had spikes (sustained, but spikes nonetheless), whereas the XBOX 360 managed to have a really good performance through the 7 years~.

And all that, without selling in Japan. For all the people who clamor that the PS3 was released one year earlier, let's not forget that the XBOX 360 only sells in two markets: America and Europe. The Japanese market will not buy it for whatever cultural **bleep** that drives them and that should count for something too. We are talking about a system that only sells in two markets vs the other two who managed to sell on three~.
Message 38 of 50 (76 Views)
Splicer
82 posts

Jul 21, 2013

You know... while typing this on linux from my PS3, i feel a great disdain... But it is microsoft.

Sale's number's are great to go off... woo00ooo00 yeah Wii hands down...

But if you knew the true number's from X-Box live's " Pay to Play "... then it paints a different picture. If you don't want to go off of this, then it is your choice. It's just that, money is a universal measurement on which i can gauge the validity of all thing's. It seem's very... selfish of me, since i can burn anything, just based off one factor. But... it is how i roll, so microsoft will have this gen from me. Next gen though? oh no no no no....

But hey, when people say to me " Skyrim is a rip off from Game of Thrones " i can easily parry with the fact Elder Scrolls has been around longer than a sub-par Television series, that no one knew about until it became such, Then Riposte with my favorite... Bethesda has made more money in a single day from their franchise than the entirety of Game of Thrones ( although i think up until the... 3rd season i think that garbage is up to, including the book's, has just passed the sales of Skyrim launch day. So... i can still say 2 day's of Bethesda launches )

The point of my previous paragraph is this... You need to be consistent with your reasoning. When you change the viewpoint to suit your favourite console, you start to become irrelevant.

Like Call of Duty League matches. Irrelevant.

Message 39 of 50 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jul 21, 2013
Sony wins..Playstation wins..However u wanna say it now can we end this?
Message 40 of 50 (44 Views)
0 Likes