Highlighted
Nov 09 2013
By: Dead-Sync MVP Support 3819 posts

Why I KNOW I'm making the right choice

[ Edited ]
52 replies 572 views Edited Nov 9, 2013

I really don't want to sound like THAT guy who sets up a war on X1 vs. PS4, but I just want to make a general observation of the market as I see it. I'm switching from 360 to PS4, and earlier (near E3) I really didn't know if I wanted to switch. A few months later and really seeing the PS4 as the best option for me, I knew I made the right choice and I've been INSANELY exicted for the PS4 since. However, TODAY I found interesting is Microsoft released a video today as a demonstration of their core X1 features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM

...and I thought I couldn't be sold on the PS4 any further, but boy, this sure is a nail in the coffin.

The video showcases the X1 entertainment features which are, in fairness, unique to that platform. I don't want to discredit that, or people who value general entertainment out of a box. If that's something you want, then more power to you, and Im happy the option exists for those people.

However, this video really made me reflect on how VASTLY different both companies are in their approach (which is, above all technology aside, or even game exclusives, what led me to my decision). I think Sony has something really special here with the PS4, and their attitude towards building a real gaming device, with commitments to better gaming services, more game options (ie. indies and 1st party studios), and obviously the hardware to back it up.

I found myself watching the video and wondered: if a demonstration of X1's best features are a usage which is VERY impractical (ie. they switched between like 6 apps in 20 seconds), then what exactly ARE the features? Should we be excited about SWITCHING activities, or should we be excitied about the activities themselves? I know its a feature demo: however I can't see many people doing this. Heck, they barely went half a mile in a race in Forza (again, I know its a demo.)

Anyways I just want to say that I think Sony has something really special here, and I hope they see that their strength lies in with the fact that: similar to how you don't need good graphics to make a great game, you don't need fancy trivial OS features to have a great video game console.

I am now more than ever, excited to join the PSN family and play some GAMES! Smiley Happy

Cheers.

SUPPORT: DATABASE | LIVE CHAT | SYSTEM UPDATES | REPAIRS

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800-345-7669 (Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm PST)

Message 1 of 53 (572 Views)
Wastelander
734 posts

Re: Why I KNOW I'm making the right choice

Nov 9, 2013
Welcome!
Message 2 of 53 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4356 posts

Nov 9, 2013
Something that I have taken notice of is how similarly different the graphics are for both systems. While they both, in all fairness, have insane graphics, the X1 goes for that ultra-realistic look while PS4 goes for that ultra-HD look. Yes there is a difference.
Message 3 of 53 (546 Views)
Splicer
62 posts

Nov 9, 2013

same thought sprang to mind while watching some side by side comparisons

Message 4 of 53 (542 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
847 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Yeah I'm not gonna lie that video makes me want an X1. I'm most likely going to get one and use it as an entertainment device. PS4 is great for gaming, but as far as features go (useless or not) the X1 has the best.

Message 5 of 53 (528 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3334 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013
There was like two things in that video I liked.

Other than that I face palmed when he bought up the tv part.
I love sonys interface more. Looks sleek and swift
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 53 (518 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4356 posts

Nov 9, 2013
I'm sticking with Playstation 4. Sony Exclusives > Microsoft Exclusives (I will say though, I really wish we had Dead Rising 3. Not gonna lie, that game is SICK)
Message 7 of 53 (517 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
3819 posts

Nov 9, 2013

BRB_Krew wrote:

Yeah I'm not gonna lie that video makes me want an X1. I'm most likely going to get one and use it as an entertainment device. PS4 is great for gaming, but as far as features go (useless or not) the X1 has the best.

Sure, definitely not denying that. I just feel me personally that as a gamer, I want the best gaming device. If I want to switch to Netflix, Im ok going through the normal process of backing out of a game, saving, going to a main menu, and picking Netflix, and if I want to watch TV, Ill hit the input button on my TV remote, or if I want to take a Skype call, Ill open my computer. Call me old fashion, but I think theres something to be said about a comapny that focuses on its core values and roots.

SUPPORT: DATABASE | LIVE CHAT | SYSTEM UPDATES | REPAIRS

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800-345-7669 (Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm PST)

Message 8 of 53 (516 Views)
Lombax Warrior
182 posts

Nov 9, 2013

I'm right there with you. Same reason why I left the Xbox bandwagon. Sony just really committed itself to making a better game system versus a entertainment system. MS on the other hand wants to keep pushing all this extra stuff on GAMERS that have nothing to do with playing games. They have forgotten why we buy these consoles. That's why Sony is going to win this generation, becuase they know that gamers buy consoles to play games and really focused on that. 

Message 9 of 53 (515 Views)
Wastelander
734 posts

Nov 9, 2013
X1 = put on the shades were bumping up the brightness

Ps4 = bring an extra pair of undies cause youll need a change after you see the 60fps 1080p hd graphics
Message 10 of 53 (508 Views)
0 Likes