Dec 27 2013
By: crisiscoreffvii Lombax Warrior 164 posts

Why are gamers corporate lapdogs?

20 replies 261 views Edited Dec 27, 2013

> people pay for product

> product does not work

> money is wasted

> people complain for compensation/partial refund

> corporate apologists tell paying customers to stop complaining about a non working product that they paid for

honestly, gamers seem to be the only group of consumers who are overly eager to bend over, spread'em, and let companies do what ever they want. now, i see how paying for online play, online passes, and on-disc dlc became strong in the industry.

- I try to fit "girlfriend" and "wife" in my posts, because I'm a non-lifting nerd who has a hard time getting noticed.

- I use mom jokes, instead of dad jokes because I'm a single mom baby and or have a stepdad.

- I campaign for equality until it benefits men (custody battle, retaliation to violence, portraying men as morons on tv, etc)

- I care about corporations more than consumers. I own no corporations...
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (261 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1151 posts

Re: Why are gamers corporate lapdogs?

Dec 27, 2013
I feel ya bro. I consider myself a gamer though and a strong one at that. So, please don't generalize your lapdog analogy

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
237 posts

Dec 27, 2013

I agree that a lot of gamers can be corporate apologists in general, but I also feel that a lot of the attacks on Sony right now are a little unfounded. The first few months of a consoles' life is usually the hardest. In fact, this is the first time I've bought a console at launch. The difference is that I know that there will inevitablly be problems and fewer games at a consoles' launch than about a year down the road. I think a lot of people who are complaining have never gotten a console on launch day, and don't realise that the PS3 (which is a 7 year old console) will of course be better than its successor in its first few days. 

Complaining is good. I encourage it. But the conplaints should be founded on good sense and not "ZOMG, PSN is down, SoNY, YOU Suckz; Ima go buy an Xbox now!" Because that's what I see. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (241 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2013

Bah, people who spend money on anything have a bad habit of becoming instantly brand loyal.

It has nothing to do with gamers specifically.

Your dramatic presentation does get an A+ however.

I sense underlying issues.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (240 Views)
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Dec 27, 2013

GrnDragn wrote:

I agree that a lot of gamers can be corporate apologists in general, but I also feel that a lot of the attacks on Sony right now are a little unfounded. The first few months of a consoles' life is usually the hardest. In fact, this is the first time I've bought a console at launch. The difference is that I know that there will inevitablly be problems and fewer games at a consoles' launch than about a year down the road. I think a lot of people who are complaining have never gotten a console on launch day, and don't realise that the PS3 (which is a 7 year old console) will of course be better than its successor in its first few days. 

Complaining is good. I encourage it. But the conplaints should be founded on good sense and not "ZOMG, PSN is down, SoNY, YOU Suckz; Ima go buy an Xbox now!" Because that's what I see. 

yeah, i realize that launch games will be limited and fully expect that. people really shouldn't buy a system without even seeing if there's enough games to hold them over for a while. and, the x1 threats  are definitely not happening anyway. but, these companies being unprepared for christmas players is pretty low, to be honest. they should have enough experience with servers and sales data to be ready for this. they really deserve the heat in this case.
- I try to fit "girlfriend" and "wife" in my posts, because I'm a non-lifting nerd who has a hard time getting noticed.

- I use mom jokes, instead of dad jokes because I'm a single mom baby and or have a stepdad.

- I campaign for equality until it benefits men (custody battle, retaliation to violence, portraying men as morons on tv, etc)

- I care about corporations more than consumers. I own no corporations...
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (228 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3156 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2013

GrnDragn wrote:

Keep in mind that a lot of the "the world is ending" posts are likely by the same people who flipped out at Microsoft in May/June and jumped ship to Sony, so it doesn't take much to rock their boat.

<sarcasm tag> Nintendo / Reggie should be out promoting that since no one is trying to access their servers on the Wii U, that their Nintendo Network is running smoothly. </sarcasm tag> (Actually I believe I read that the 3DS eshop crashed on Christmas Day, as well).

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
237 posts

Dec 27, 2013

crisiscoreffvii wrote:

GrnDragn wrote:

yeah, i realize that launch games will be limited and fully expect that. people really shouldn't buy a system without even seeing if there's enough games to hold them over for a while. and, the x1 threats  are definitely not happening anyway. but, these companies being unprepared for christmas players is pretty low, to be honest. they should have enough experience with servers and sales data to be ready for this. they really deserve the heat in this case.

Yeah, I always wonder why no-one is ever prepared when they know their launch/sales around the holidays are gonna be huge. But what I've learned over the years is that that stuff happens. No-one is every truly prepared for a large influx of players flooding their servers at the same time around certain points. What matters in the end, though, is how soon they can resolve the issues. I'll cut Sony some slack considering this was the fastest selling console in HISTORY, so most likely they weren't as prepared as they hoped to be. 

But as you said, the problem is there and it needs to be fixed soon. We can all agree on that. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Dec 27, 2013
There's a difference between being a lapdog and recognizing trends that the industry has had for years (like networks and servers crashing around the holidays).
I'm laid back, avoid trash talking, in my mid 30's, and play for enjoyment.

Currently playing--inFamous Second Son and SteamWorld Dig
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (198 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11063 posts

Dec 27, 2013

The situation sucks, but what can you do? You can be a complainant, you can illustrate more rational thought, you can say nothing, or you can go outside and build a bird house. What more is there to say that hasn't already been said?

During this crisis, I was able to finish up the campaign for Killzone: Shadow Fall that I've been working on. Sadly, I have had some trouble with syncing trophies earned and what have you, but all that can been done for now is wait until tomorrow to see whether things will be any different.

If you have any single-player games on disc along with an urgency to use your brand-new PlayStation 4 exactly at the same time as the rest of the world, why not play offline while the Sony doctors continue to patch up the overstuffed network?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (195 Views)
Lombax Warrior
237 posts

Dec 27, 2013

If you want real corporate lapdogs... talk to the EA Apologists. :cattongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (181 Views)
0 Likes