Aug 21 2013
By: mgzin66 Sackboy 437 posts

Why are people so hung up on exclusives?

35 replies 231 views Edited Aug 21, 2013

Being a gamer for a veryyyy long time, this is one subject I have never understood. People really get wound up about exclusive for "their" console. Is it so one platform can stick out their tongue at the others and say "hahaha look what we have and you don't"? Frankly, it torques me that there are exclusives.  From a business side I understand it's to sway people; from a consumer side it should really make us all a little upset.

I may be old, but I still love to game.

Pong, Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis with Cd, Atari Jaguar with Cd, PS, PS2, Xbox 360, and now...PS4.
Message 1 of 36 (231 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: Why are people so hung up on exclusives?

Aug 21, 2013

mgzin66 wrote:

Being a gamer for a veryyyy long time, this is one subject I have never understood. People really get wound up about exclusive for "their" console. Is it so one platform can stick out their tongue at the others and say "hahaha look what we have and you don't"? Frankly, it torques me that there are exclusives.  From a business side I understand it's to sway people; from a consumer side it should really make us all a little upset.

You nailed it.  It's done by people who are looking for a reason to claim that their e-peen is bigger than everybody else's, or as a way to try and make their decision to buy a physically inferior product look better.

Message 2 of 36 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Aug 21, 2013

mgzin66 wrote:

Exclusives suck from a consumer perspective, but it's also the only real reason to choose one platform over another. So yes, exclusives matter...they matter a lot.

Message 3 of 36 (208 Views)
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Aug 21, 2013
Bingo

I have always been one to play each for their exclusives. Now while Sony has the better ones doesn't mean Xbox exclusives are bad. I play Sony for games like uncharted-heavy rain- mlb so on.
I had played Xbox for halo(which I stopped after awhile as they were not fun to me anymore), gears and Alan wake.
Nintendo - who does not like Mario and I'm a su cker for Zelda.
This time around though sticking with ps Maybe get an Xbox when price heavily drops as quantum break looks interesting.
If you add me- let me know your from forum. I get a lot of request.
Message 4 of 36 (203 Views)
Sackboy
437 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2013

@ xclay.....

I figured the real reason to choose one of the other would be, reliability, the potential for expansion, value for what your paying for,  attributes that suit you, etc etc and not just because there is one title another doesn't have....

Pong, Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis with Cd, Atari Jaguar with Cd, PS, PS2, Xbox 360, and now...PS4.
Message 5 of 36 (194 Views)
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Aug 21, 2013

What? Nothing to do with e-peen, exclusives are really why you would buy one console over another, if x1 keeps getting better exclusives would you still be glad you got a PS4 instead? It's software that drives hardware.

Message 6 of 36 (192 Views)
Sackboy
437 posts

Aug 21, 2013
So the hardware could totally blow but have "better games, i.e. storyline, but look like complete a**, lag, stutter, and the like and that's what you would get?

I buy a console for what I think it will do compared to the other.

Message 7 of 36 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2013

Did I say that moron? The 2 work hand in hand it's not rocket science. Great hardware is useless with good hardware and vice versa. Hardware is totally sueless without compelling software.

Message 8 of 36 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
437 posts

Aug 21, 2013

Yeah you did....It's software that drives hardware. Name calling is not needed, so grow up and talk sensibly next time.

Message 9 of 36 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Aug 21, 2013

Again your an idiot, saying software drives hardware (It does), doesn't mean i sauid the hardware can be trash..lol, go back to school.  Again, without good siftware hardware is useless.

Message 10 of 36 (176 Views)
0 Likes