Hekseville Citizen
254 posts

Re: Why do people claim PSN is so slow?

Oct 23, 2013

CReaper21 wrote:

I'll just say that from my experience, having played certain multiplatform games(can't talk about downloads, as I've never downloaded anything on PSN before) on both consoles, Xbox 360 downloads updates at least 5 times faster than the PS3. I've downloaded a full update to Battlefield 3 on my Xbox 360 by the time my PS3 gets to 25%. And even once it does finally get done, I have to install as well. My Xbox 360 updates take literally 30 seconds to completely finish while just downloading + installing takes around 10 minutes on PS3.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, but the PS3 is notoriously slow, and a lot of people I've talked to feel the same way. I have both consoles connected to the same modem/router, both with optimised connections for gaming, but the PS3 just isn't anywhere close to Xbox 360 when it comes to download/install speeds.

Are the file sizes for the updates the same? I know a lot of the 360 updates are really small. Can't speak to the PS3.

I may be old, but I still love to game.

Pong, Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis with Cd, Atari Jaguar with Cd, PS, PS2, Xbox 360, and now...PS4.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 44 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Oct 23, 2013

JMBlakk wrote:
If your PSN is slow then you have slow internet is slow. Believe me you need 12mbps or better to play without lag on the PSN. I have 12 and it work great. Never had to over night download anything but DCUO.

Sorry, I don't believe you.:smileytongue:

I had 3MBps when I was still living with my parents; we had: 2 DSi's, 2 laptops/desktops, my Wii, PS3 AND 360 online at any given time, with ZERO lag. Later,  when they (yes, they) moved out, I upgraded to 10MBps, got a better router and was downloading 10+gb games within 1-2 hours.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 44 (346 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 23, 2013

mgzin66 wrote:

CReaper21 wrote:

I'll just say that from my experience, having played certain multiplatform games(can't talk about downloads, as I've never downloaded anything on PSN before) on both consoles, Xbox 360 downloads updates at least 5 times faster than the PS3. I've downloaded a full update to Battlefield 3 on my Xbox 360 by the time my PS3 gets to 25%. And even once it does finally get done, I have to install as well. My Xbox 360 updates take literally 30 seconds to completely finish while just downloading + installing takes around 10 minutes on PS3.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, but the PS3 is notoriously slow, and a lot of people I've talked to feel the same way. I have both consoles connected to the same modem/router, both with optimised connections for gaming, but the PS3 just isn't anywhere close to Xbox 360 when it comes to download/install speeds.

Are the file sizes for the updates the same? I know a lot of the 360 updates are really small. Can't speak to the PS3.

Not exactly, but fairly similar that they shouldn't have vastly different download speeds.

Specifically for the Battlefield games, as these are what I've personally experienced, they're usually only a few mb off, most likely because of console specific bugs/changes. But like I said, it shouldn't make a huge difference. The PS3 just downloads at much slower speeds.

To the person who asked me, I have both console connected to my router through a cable, and I've optimised my router settings to make sure both console always have a stable connection with an open nat. Both before and after the tweaks I have made, the PS3 has always been slower. I also have two PS3s, and it is like this with both of them. I have the first slim model, plus the older fat PS3 that I specifically went out and found for the backwards compatibility.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 44 (340 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1139 posts

Oct 23, 2013

They dont understand file size vs internet speed?  complain about your ISP not PSN.

Member: Geezers In Arms Mature Gaming Community
Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 44 (316 Views)
PlayStation MVP
189 posts

Oct 23, 2013

Well I have/had both consoles (traded the box for a DS4 and Eye 2.0) I can truly say I did not see much of a difference. I am on FiOS now and before I was using Optimum (cable service) but in truth i did not have many games for the box. I did download Alan Wake and that took about 10 min and it was like 12 for LBP 2, on the PSN I've downloaded 2 hour movies in 3 minutes and all this was before I had FiOS. So in my experience there was nothing to complain about when it came to download speeds, now waiting to install that is a different story.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2013
I'm personally upgrading from the 360 to the PS4. I hope Sony will improve upon their online services now that we need to pay for multiplayer gaming.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 44 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
904 posts

Oct 23, 2013

kisuma1 wrote:

JMBlakk wrote:
If your PSN is slow then you have slow internet is slow. Believe me you need 12mbps or better to play without lag on the PSN. I have 12 and it work great. Never had to over night download anything but DCUO.

Sorry, I don't believe you.:smileytongue:

I had 3MBps when I was still living with my parents; we had: 2 DSi's, 2 laptops/desktops, my Wii, PS3 AND 360 online at any given time, with ZERO lag. Later,  when they (yes, they) moved out, I upgraded to 10MBps, got a better router and was downloading 10+gb games within 1-2 hours.

Bandwidth has NOTHING to do with lag. Lag relates to ping. The lower the milliseconds, the better the connection you have. Bandwidth just determines the total download+upload you can do at any given time.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 44 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3283 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2013
Use to have both systems. Before I sold the crapbox 360. Back in the 2005-2008 days, I'd say live was much more superior in every way. After that to present, I would go with psn any day. More mature community, better games in store, stable connection.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 44 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
379 posts

Oct 23, 2013
Simple, Steam max out my connection. PSN does not
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 44 (274 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14242 posts

Oct 23, 2013

JMBlakk wrote:

12Mbps for "lag free gaming" ?

When I first moved out on my own a few years ago, when the PS3 launched, I had nothing but a 3Mb connection.... and I was lag-free playing games online....

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 44 (256 Views)
0 Likes