Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Re: Why does it take forever for everything on the PS3 to download?

Jun 5, 2011

Garyxyz851 wrote:

OP go to speedtest.net run the test and then post your speed results here so we can determine if your internet is slow.

Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars

geeze...OP don't bother.  The point of my earlier post was that anyone used to the speed on the other system is going to consider psn slow.  It's perception.  Has nothing to do with isp speeds.

For the people complaining...how often do you d/l 7 gigs of data?  it takes a while.

Message 11 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

?

Message 12 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Jun 5, 2011

Garyxyz851 wrote:

Lol @ you kid, your internet speed determines how fast you download things, a herp a derp? welcome to my block list. OP, run the speedtest and that will give you your answer.

Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars Free userbars

lmao...he didn't ask if his internet is slow.  he asked why psn is so slow.  Have heard it a million times.  The part that irked me was "...so we can determine if your internet is slow."  And then what?  Twenty posts telling OP to "...get better net dude."  Yes, your internet speed does determine how fast you download things, but you're only going to notice when there is a change in such functionality.  He could be running 56k and his argument that some servers run slower than others is perfectly valid.

Not a kid.

Thank you for adding me to your block list (I feel so important)

peace.

Message 13 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jun 5, 2011

First: Make sure your firmware for your router is updated to the latest.

Second: You need to do a speed test on your connection to see what speed you have coming into your house. (like previously stated)

Third: Look to see if anything else on your network is using bandwidth, if so and not needed, kill it.

Fourth: You just may have slow internet,  or PSN has high bandwidth usage.

I downloaded inFAMOUS in probably 3 to 4 hours, on a 24 mbps down connection, with boosts up to 30. and thats with 4 other people connected to the internet also.

Message 14 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

?

Message 15 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 6, 2011

I actually found a way to speed up downloads, especially for big games like inFamous which is 7 gigs.  Just a comparison, before making these changes I tried downloading the game and 2 hours later it was barely at 10-15%.  And that's being generous.  So I did some searching, tried all the suggestions with no noticable improvement.  Even tried port fowarding which provided marginal improvement but not enough to satisfy me. 

Then I found an old forum talking about Privoxy, basically you instally this small program on a computer wired to your router and your computer does all the hard work.  Your PS3 connects to the internet through the computer and if it's done right, you get much much much improved download speeds.  I tried it along with port forwarding and within an hour, the same inFamous game download was up to about 70%.  It can downloaded at privoxy.org or you can just do a search for playstation+privoxy and you should be able to find a download link with a step by step tutorial with a on how to set it up.  It's really not that hard, just a few simple steps on you computer then your playstation.

The only downfall is that your computer has to be on anytime your PS3 is connected and downloading or if you don't want this set up all the time you have to set it up each time, which after a few times it becomes pretty easy if you know what you're doing.  I guess playing online games it does alright connected by itself, but if you're downloadig anything big which would take a while, I would go with this setup.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Message 16 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I'm having the exact same problem, I need to wait 10 hours for mine to download.

Get your Portable ID!

Message 17 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2152 posts

Jun 10, 2012

just choose to download in the background and leave your ps3 on when you go out of the room, also its possible your internet speed could be slow

http://freeps4gameslegal.blogspot.com/

Message 18 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Jun 10, 2012

My PS3 doesn't take too long to download content overall. It's either your connection or you have too much stuff on your PS3's hard-drive that is slowing it down.

Message 19 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Jun 10, 2012

running speedtest.net on your computer is going to do NOTHING for the PS3...... because you are not running it on the PS3.... kinda defeats the purpose of seeing what the PS3's download speeds are if you're not using the test on the PS3.....

You cant run speedtest.net because the browser does not have an up-to-date flash player.

The PS3's speed-test is only an estimate and not an accurate representation of the bandwidth.

And this whole notion of NEEDING N-wireless routers is a joke. YOU DONT NEED IT. Unless you have an ISP that delivers higher bandwith that a wireless G router, you'll never see the full benefit of an N router.

I quite literally threw away my N router a few days ago because I simply had no need for it and I paid too much for it. I still have my 10 year old wireless g router that I paid $60 for brand new and my bandwidth is not affected vs 802.11N.

Im paying $80/mo for 40down/20up and im getting on average 35down and 13up, through a Cable modem... not a FTTH serivce, and I live in a dense city with a population of over 1.3million

If you want to understand about how wireless technology works, do some homework, and also do homework on how to properly setup your network. Assuming that because its NEW that its faster, you're just wasting money, especially when you think replacing something is going to make things better. Otherwise, you're be "chasing the speed" which is a waste of time and the only thing you're going to get out of it is frustration.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 20 of 73 (3,591 Views)
0 Likes