Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
2776 posts

Re: Why does it take forever for everything on the PS3 to download?

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2013

default1000 wrote:

Download speeds seem fine to me.  I take it your internet service provider must provide really slow internet.

That has nothing to do with it at all. Here's a comparison of speed tests done at the exact same time with my laptop and PS3.

Laptop computer (using wireless connection):

Connection Speed (Download) 41.98 Mbps

Connection Speed (Upload) 7.70 Mbps

PS3 (using wired connection):

Connection Speed (Download) 9.7 Mbps

Connection Speed (Upload) 2.3 Mbps

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
1,700+ followers | 100+ subscribers
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 73 (720 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15437 posts

Apr 11, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

default1000 wrote:

Download speeds seem fine to me.  I take it your internet service provider must provide really slow internet.

That has nothing to do with it at all. Here's a comparison of speed tests done at the exact same time with my laptop and PS3.

Laptop computer (using wireless connection):

Connection Speed (Download) 41.98 Mbps

Connection Speed (Upload) 7.70 Mbps

PS3 (using wired connection):

Connection Speed (Download) 9.7 Mbps

Connection Speed (Upload) 2.3 Mbps

PS3's speed test is not an accurrate representation of the actual speed.... My PS3's sometiimes tell me I'm getting 3.5Mb down/0.8up.... when in actuality I'm downloading closer to 25Mbps, since I am paying for a 30down/15up connection.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 73 (714 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15437 posts

Apr 11, 2013

Heblon wrote:

Very slow downloads with wired connection and 50 meg connection nothin is wrong my end psn have just messed up yet again! Wont be buying anything from psn store again. Keep up the good work sony! :smileywink:

Reset your modem and router... forward the proper ports for the PSN and games that you most commonly play online.

Your ISP could be throttling your connection also, known to happen. Call your ISP and see if there anything they can do on their end

I have 30Mb service and I am downloading Full PS3 games within 15 minutes.... just recently i downloaded Demon Souls as it was offered free for Plus subs and it only took me about 15-20minutes to download and its only 8Gb....

Don't blame Sony, PSN or your PS3 for something else unrelated to them, like your network equipment and configuration.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 73 (710 Views)
MVP Support
8079 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2013

kauffdog wrote:

I'm sorry but the PS3 HORRIBLE! I mean its 2013. My 360 is FAST on the install, updates, and downloads. All my kids 3ds are faster, iPods faster, wii and wii u faster. I can't believe after all these years Sony has been given a pass on this. Downloaded LBP2. Took30 min, THEN the update took 45. ANYONE that owns all 4 consoles (wiiu included) KNOW the POS3 is the worst of them all. Supposed to b the newest and its the slowest when downloading, installing, and updating. YES IM A PLUS MEMBER!  It's an insult to customers to settle for less performance with a console and company with this much clout. Wired or wireless my POS3 is the SLOWEST of all the wireless or wired devices in my home. I have an newest iPad, 3 iPods 4th gen, 3: 3ds, a wii on wireless, wiiu, 360, wiiu, nexus tablet,  2 iPhones. Now 90% of those devices r wireless. My 360 and POS3 are the only ones not wireless and the PS3 is THE WORST with a wiredconnection.  As I searached for these forums, logged in, typed this all out on my iPad and did reproduction read and spell check I'm still only 46% into the update for LBP2 and my screen saver feature kicked in. Simply put, anyone use any other device will see what I'm talking about Sony only gets away with this because so many of their customers didnt have a major network in their home.  I got 3 devices wired to router and ps3 is one of them and at the end of writing this, I'm only at 54% of the LBP2 update. It's bad hardware, and  horrible tech. I was a huge ps2 fan and love my GOW and  bought a bunch of ps3 titles online and via GameStop because I saved for a new 360 slim. So I got dishonored, black ops2, COD3, and many others. So the games are good. But I go and download LBP TODAY and when I'm done I got this MASSIVE update. Why the hell wldnt it justb included in the original download???? It's like downloading a game only to update it and download it again just to update it again. I seriously cld have just got in the car, drove to GameStop, bought the game, and then download the update for another 45min. Horrible, cheap, misleading, and anyone that owns all 4 consoles is settling for less by making their POS3 their main console. I want it to be great but Sony got $500 of mine nearly 6 years ago and hundreds since. For that priceAND HYPE, it should B better. NO! IT should be the best. 

Serious question:  How many 8, 10, 15GB games have you downloaded on Xbox, Wii, WiiU?

Games take longer to download on the PS3, because they are generally much LARGER on the PS3.  It takes longer to download a 15GB game (inFamous 2, DCUO, R&C: A4O) than it does to download a 1-2GB game (Super Mario Bros. U).  As for the Wii, considering 2GB is the largest SD card you can use in it, the largest downloads on that console are typically a couple hundred MB.

If you are going to claim another console downloads faster, at least find games of similar size to compare.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 73 (708 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1872 posts

Apr 11, 2013
i can download 8gb games in less than an hour...
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 73 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Apr 12, 2013
Yea ure complaining about the wrong thing,, if anything that's what Sony has gotten right. They can't put out good psn plus stuff or good new stuff every week. I find myself disappointed every week when the ps store updates. Also the games lately have been terrible very mad at Sony. My speed on connection has been amazing though.
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 73 (701 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
936 posts

Apr 12, 2013
Most of the kids complaining do not understand just because mom n' dad pay for 50 mega BITS per scond, that doesn't mean that's what you are getting. many factors from modem, router, how old the isp lines are and so on.

if it's taking hours for something as small as 2 gigs, something is not going right with something on you or your isp end.
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 73 (699 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Map route speed is 2.8 gigabytes and I've been trying to download vanquish. Its only 28 percent its been running for two days. Downloading a file this size on the internet I can do in about 30 minutes at max. What gives?
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 73 (654 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Apr 21, 2013
I get really good download speeds off of PSN. I have Time Warner Cable as my ISP, and I downloaded a 14gb game within 2 hours. I go through cat6 Ethernet cables, and I own my cable modem and have port forwarded the modem itself for PSN. If you lease you modem from your ISP, they can put speed limits on your modem and disable port forwarding.
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 73 (644 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
226 posts

Apr 21, 2013

The only times I ever had an issue with downloading from the PSN was when DCUO first came out as a BETA then again when it became free for PS+. Other than those 2 times I can download full games like InFamous in under 15 min, I've done 2 hour movies in 5 while watching them, I get relatively the same speed with my box (if I ever watched movies on it). Downloading from PSN is never the problem it is more the ISP killing the speed.

Just tested and my speeds are 

Download 28.3

Upload 31.0

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 73 (636 Views)
0 Likes