Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
24476 posts

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 9, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

In all fairness, nobody knows what a potential new Playstation console will have. Anything you've read has been speculative to say the least. 

The other thing is, and this is only me mind you, we've seen that backward compatibility is a double edged sword. Consoles are loss leaders, and they need to sell games to make a profit. Selling  a console, and then you turning around and playing a ten year old game is essentially a loss for a hardware maker. Where's the incentive from a business standpoint to have a backward compatible console? I know there are many who say "it would totally sell like totally more totally consoles... totally". Yes, however if you want to make it up on volume, sales would have to go up signficantly. 

The "incentive" for a company to include BC so to speak to make the new system more attractive for owners of the previous system to buy, and thus help build up a user base.

The best example of BC in a product line is Nintendo's GameBoy & DS product lines. I believe those products did very well partially because it had BC, customers were assured that they can play their old games on their new system, and many of them feel that is important to them. I don't think in any of those systems have had software sales impacted because it had BC.

I also don't think that the PS2, Wii, or Xbox 360 had negitively impacted software sales due to the inclusion of BC. However I believe the PS3 did, because the PS2 library was much stronger at the time the PS3 was released in 2006.

IMO had the Vita included compatibility with PSP UMD games, I believe it would have sold better in the US and Japan....

We've also seen that "incentive" backfire, as gamers have often as they do, get it backwards. Which is part of reason why it was taken out of the PS3. Again, they don't make money on the console. That seems to be something that always gets lost in any discusion on this topic. If you buy a PS3 and zero games, then that's a loss. If you buy a PS3 and then buy ten games over the course of two years, you've just spent twice the amount of money that you did on the machine. That's how they make money. 

As for the impact, many steadfastly were clinging to their PS2 games because of that "strong library". Attatch rates didn't take off until well after the console's launch. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/17/ps3-attach-rates-soar/

The other thing I've often said is that there's a territoriality about this too. Much like a child who only wants a toy because someone else is playing with it, and then when he gets it the toy gets immediately cast aside, if people still had this feature they would never use it. But the big, bad, greedy corporation took it away! So now it's time to to bang the drum about how great this feature was. It's human nature. You always want what you can't have. Then there's the "nag factor" of asking the same question repeatedly until you get the answer you want. 

We've had five years of the nag factor, nothing's changed. Whether or not the next Playstation console will be able to play our current games, at this point is anyone's guess. However, the business model will not change. Consoles are still going to be loss leaders. 

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 84 (665 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 9, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

In all fairness, nobody knows what a potential new Playstation console will have. Anything you've read has been speculative to say the least. 

The other thing is, and this is only me mind you, we've seen that backward compatibility is a double edged sword. Consoles are loss leaders, and they need to sell games to make a profit. Selling  a console, and then you turning around and playing a ten year old game is essentially a loss for a hardware maker. Where's the incentive from a business standpoint to have a backward compatible console? I know there are many who say "it would totally sell like totally more totally consoles... totally". Yes, however if you want to make it up on volume, sales would have to go up signficantly. 

The "incentive" for a company to include BC so to speak to make the new system more attractive for owners of the previous system to buy, and thus help build up a user base.

The best example of BC in a product line is Nintendo's GameBoy & DS product lines. I believe those products did very well partially because it had BC, customers were assured that they can play their old games on their new system, and many of them feel that is important to them. I don't think in any of those systems have had software sales impacted because it had BC.

I also don't think that the PS2, Wii, or Xbox 360 had negitively impacted software sales due to the inclusion of BC. However I believe the PS3 did, because the PS2 library was much stronger at the time the PS3 was released in 2006.

IMO had the Vita included compatibility with PSP UMD games, I believe it would have sold better in the US and Japan....

We've also seen that "incentive" backfire, as gamers have often as they do, get it backwards. Which is part of reason why it was taken out of the PS3. Again, they don't make money on the console. That seems to be something that always gets lost in any discusion on this topic. If you buy a PS3 and zero games, then that's a loss. If you buy a PS3 and then buy ten games over the course of two years, you've just spent twice the amount of money that you did on the machine. That's how they make money. 

As for the impact, many steadfastly were clinging to their PS2 games because of that "strong library". Attatch rates didn't take off until well after the console's launch. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/17/ps3-attach-rates-soar/

The other thing I've often said is that there's a territoriality about this too. Much like a child who only wants a toy because someone else is playing with it, and then when he gets it the toy gets immediately cast aside, if people still had this feature they would never use it. But the big, bad, greedy corporation took it away! So now it's time to to bang the drum about how great this feature was. It's human nature. You always want what you can't have. Then there's the "nag factor" of asking the same question repeatedly until you get the answer you want. 

We've had five years of the nag factor, nothing's changed. Whether or not the next Playstation console will be able to play our current games, at this point is anyone's guess. However, the business model will not change. Consoles are still going to be loss leaders. 

My point is out of all the gaming systems that have had BC, the PS3 apparently is the only system where it may have worked against Sony's favor. That certainly doesn't mean that having BC is a bad thing to have, in fact having BC will probably help out the Wii U's sales a bit once that comes out...

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 84 (663 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Aug 10, 2012
I have a backwards compatible ps3 and I don't even use it to play ps2 games cause there's no point for me, they do look pretty good while playing them but I just don't. I really want a slim ps3 but I got this one.
Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 84 (647 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 13, 2012
I believe that demand for PS2 BC in the PS3 is much lower than some people think. I think most people have moved on and are content just playing PS3 games...
Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 84 (608 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Aug 13, 2012
I guess you are right, don't get me wrong there are some PS2 games I posses right now that I would play on my PS3 if I had the chance, but aside those 4-5 games there is really nothing else that drives me back.
And anyway PS2 are very cheap nowadays =P
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 84 (604 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 13, 2012
Also I think some of that demand has been satisfied due to the introduction of the HD remakes. Most of the most popular PS2 games have been remade for the PS3, and I believe that most people would rather play the new versions over the originals...
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 84 (601 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 16, 2012

STUPID! they should make a software update that actually puts the ability to make a internal ps2 memory card to USE!

Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 84 (576 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 16, 2012

MrQuincy87 wrote:

STUPID! they should make a software update that actually puts the ability to make a internal ps2 memory card to USE!

What are you talking about? The PS3 already has an internal PS2 memory card option (only usable on PS3s that can play PS2 physical games), and they made a device where you can import your PS2 game saves to your PS3 hard drive....

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 84 (573 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Nov 10, 2012

omg dum heads why have so many consoles hooked up switching back and forth when you can play ps1, ps2 & ps3 on the same console. yes ps2 compatibility was the best feture on the ps3 i say i would so pay for a newer ps3 with ps2 compatibilty.

Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 84 (395 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 16, 2012

The only option I could foresee at this time would be for Sony, or third-party, to develop a software emulation using a virtual machine software, and make it an icon on the home screen, so that when you click it, you pretty much are taken out of the PS3, and can only play PS2/PS1 games.  This could be a little cumbersome, and take a lot of memory, so a cost would be implemented to accomodate the software patch.  And I think that a minimum HDD size would have to be implemented for the patch (500 Gb HDD).  But with the emergence, and popularity, of virtual machine software, I do not see how it would take much to make it work.

Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 84 (371 Views)
0 Likes