Jan 09 2011
By: nicroflame First Son 5 posts

Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

86 replies 49144 views Edited Jan 9, 2011

I have a PS3 Slim 250GB and I was wondering, why the heck is there the ability to make a PS2 Internal Memory Card, but not play PS2 games for it? I swear, a software update needs to come out to patch this because I think that it is REALLY stupid. When I put my PS2 game in, it says this version of the PS3 is not compatible with PLAYSTATION 2 GAMES. So you're telling me that you recognize that the disc is a PS2 game, but I can't play it?!?!?!?!? Does anyone else think that this is outrageous?

Message 1 of 87 (49,144 Views)
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Jan 9, 2011

So... they should come out with a patch to remove the ability to make PS2 memory cards in the newer systems.

Does anyone else think it outrageous? Probably.  Do I? No.

Message 2 of 87 (49,140 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jan 9, 2011

The firmware is basically the same for all PS3 models, but only the older systems have the PS2 hardware needed to run PS2 games.

PS3 Backwards Compatibility:

The NTSC (Japan/US) 20GB & 60GB models have the "Emotion Engine" CPU + "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU chip from the PS2 (along with 32MB of RDRAM) for full hardware compatibility. These models will play almost all PS2 titles (it is not 100% though, there are some older titles that will not run on the PS3). These models are long discontinued.

The NTSC 80GB MotorStorm/MGS4 bundle models (and PAL/Europe 60GB) have the "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU chip, but use software emulation for the EE CPU. These can be differentiated from the newer 80GB models because they have 4 USB ports. These models are not as compatible as the models with the EE chip, but they will still play most PS2 titles. These are also long discontinued.

The 40GB has none of the PS2 hardware and is not compatible with PS2 software at all.

The newer 80GB (2 USB) and 160GB models are just 40GB models with larger hard drives, so compatibility is the same as the 40GB (they can't play any PS2 games). This is true for the new PS3 "Slim" as well (which is a further cost reduced re-design of the 40GB system).

Basically, any model that has only 2 USB ports is not compatible with PS2 software, and there is nothing that can be done to make them compatible (there is no patch or emulator that can be downloaded). All PS2 compatible models have 4 USB ports.

All PS3 systems use software emulation to play original PlayStation (PSone/PS1) games. Yes, even the non-BC models can play PS1 games.

Also, most of the newer 2xUSB port models have less flash memory than the original. This makes upgrading the hard drive more of a hassle. Note that there were THREE revisions of the 40GB model. The 1st had the full 256MB of flash, while the later models (which includes the 80GB "Core" and 160GB models as well as the Slims) have only 16MB of flash. The limited flash means you have to re-install the firmware when you change the HDD.

Honestly I don't see why this is such a problem for you, but if the ability to make virtual PS2 memory cards really bugs you that much then use the "contact us" link below to suggest that Sony hide that feature on non-PS2 compatible models. For most people simply ignoring that feature is enough.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 3 of 87 (49,140 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Jan 10, 2011

the internal memory card is not onyl for ps2 its for both ps2 and ps1, and since every ps3 can play ps1s that section is still there no matter the console and honestly if you want to play ps2 games go buy a freaking ps2, you can probably get one for 20 bucks on ebay used. would you also like the memory card icons to be removed as well cause only the old fat ps3s had it, even tho you can plug a card reader in to any ps3 and use it?

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 4 of 87 (49,140 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Not really as if I really wanted to play PS2 games, I would go buy another PS2. Maybe one day, the PS2 library will become downloadable.

Message 5 of 87 (49,140 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9543 posts

Jan 10, 2011

why do people buy a PS3 to play PS2 games on?  I'll never understand the point of buying a next gen system to play last gen games on.  At some point you had a PS2.  Why did you get rid of it if it was so important to you to be able to play PS2 games?

Message 6 of 87 (49,140 Views)
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Jan 10, 2011

i only want the backwards compatibility for all ps3's so i could play my ( bought 2 years ago metal gear solid collection ) for the first time.

Message 7 of 87 (49,140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Dang what is wrong with you guys and the "Go buy a ps2" comments. I bought the PS3 first gen so I have BC for PS2 games and the fact that it can up convert the games to  720/1080p and smooth out the graphics is a godsend. In case you've never tried it, playing PS2 games on an HDTV sucks if it's not 480p which most PS2 games were not. When I bought my PS3 I was still playing a lot of PS2 games and it got bothersome switching between my CRT to my HDTV for gaming, so seeing as PS2 games looked better up converted on the PS3 then in 480i on my SDTV I made the switch and traded in my PS2.

Fact of the matter is it was a great assist to play older generation games on the same console as your current gen. plus help to adapt them to current generation TV technology. To me it was a punk move on SONY's part to eke more money out of continuing sales of the PS2 hardware by cutting the BC out of PS3's which gave a better PS2 experience for the current gen.

Message 8 of 87 (49,140 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2137 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Balmungsama wrote:

Dang what is wrong with you guys and the "Go buy a ps2" comments. I bought the PS3 first gen so I have BC for PS2 games and the fact that it can up convert the games to  720/1080p and smooth out the graphics is a godsend. In case you've never tried it, playing PS2 games on an HDTV sucks if it's not 480p which most PS2 games were not. When I bought my PS3 I was still playing a lot of PS2 games and it got bothersome switching between my CRT to my HDTV for gaming, so seeing as PS2 games looked better up converted on the PS3 then in 480i on my SDTV I made the switch and traded in my PS2.

Fact of the matter is it was a great assist to play older generation games on the same console as your current gen. plus help to adapt them to current generation TV technology. To me it was a punk move on SONY's part to eke more money out of continuing sales of the PS2 hardware by cutting the BC out of PS3's which gave a better PS2 experience for the current gen.

Some things never change. I remember those "go buy a PS2" comments 2 years ago.

I still play PS2 games though! Almost finished with Xenosaga EP3.

Message 9 of 87 (49,140 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28843 posts

Jan 11, 2011

mixedkidbx wrote:

why do people buy a PS3 to play PS2 games on?  I'll never understand the point of buying a next gen system to play last gen games on.  At some point you had a PS2.  Why did you get rid of it if it was so important to you to be able to play PS2 games?

Because they're locked into this thinking that it's "all or nothing". It's not only video games. I remember when CD first hit the market, I heard countless numbers of friends say "Oh great! I'm going to have to get rid of all my vinyl!". There's a lot of people out there who think they are replacing one thing with another, and not adding a piece to the puzzle.

Here's the thing that I don't understand though; you have the pro backward compatibility crowd who are clamoring for it and often say "I'd pay an extra $100 for it!".  That's the going price for a PS2, yet they will refuse to entertain the prospect of buying one. As if it's a violation of the tenets that govern gamerdom that it's verboten to own more than one console. Yeah, it's more convenient to have an "all in one" machine (and don't give this nonsense about "it only does everything" being a lie, it's a marketing slogan, you should have paid attention in English class the day they explained what a hyperbole is), but given the choice between not playing your PS2 games and playing them, the only person you're spiting is yourself.

Message 10 of 87 (49,140 Views)
0 Likes