Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/29/2011
Offline
220 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Jul 21, 2012
I would rather Ps3 games be available via PSN just like Pseud games are. I also wish we can play the PSP games we download on our ps3s instead if having to transfer them to a PSP it Vita. But those are just minor issues for me. Doesn't bother me 1 bit.
Ps3| Vita
Message 41 of 84 (414 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 02/04/2011
Offline
226 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Jul 21, 2012

MageOfRevenants wrote:
I would rather Ps3 games be available via PSN just like Pseud games are. I also wish we can play the PSP games we download on our ps3s instead if having to transfer them to a PSP it Vita. But those are just minor issues for me. Doesn't bother me 1 bit.

The ability to play psp games on your ps3 would destroy their PSP console sales (and even a part of Vita sales).

 

Of course, having the ability to play physical ps2 games on any PS3 system won't hurt them since PS2's are no longer in production. They only thing affecting them would be the sale of PS2 HD Remasters (not many of them to begin with).

@Sony - Ditch your faulty eCommerce Payment system and get one that actually works. This is getting old real fast. But I guess you dont want our money if you wont accept funds from our cards Smiley Sad
Message 42 of 84 (412 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/29/2011
Offline
220 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Jul 21, 2012
Still would be cool reguardless. Don't give a **bleep** about sales.
Ps3| Vita
Message 43 of 84 (410 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/07/2012
Offline
14 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 8, 2012

Its rediculous how ps3s cant play ps2 games. Its only because older ps3 can play ps2 games, just like the older xbox 360s could play reg xbox games until the hardware got better and the old system's hardware got taken out for new hardware and then the ps2/xbox games are not compatible with the system anymore.

Message 44 of 84 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 8, 2012

lolkillz60978 wrote:

Its rediculous how ps3s cant play ps2 games. Its only because older ps3 can play ps2 games, just like the older xbox 360s could play reg xbox games until the hardware got better and the old system's hardware got taken out for new hardware and then the ps2/xbox games are not compatible with the system anymore.


That isn't correct. The all X360 models can play certain original Xbox games, this is accomplished with a software emulator, the only requirement is that the X360 must have a hard drive equipped to play original Xbox games...

Message 45 of 84 (315 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/11/2012
Offline
1042 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 8, 2012

lolkillz60978 wrote:

Its rediculous how ps3s cant play ps2 games. Its only because older ps3 can play ps2 games, just like the older xbox 360s could play reg xbox games until the hardware got better and the old system's hardware got taken out for new hardware and then the ps2/xbox games are not compatible with the system anymore.


From what I remember they had to remove the hardware that gave the PS3 bc to maintain the price, at least thats what they told us. If this is correct, the next generation shouldn't have trouble being bc compatible right?

Message 46 of 84 (313 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 8, 2012

Arkthur_us wrote:

lolkillz60978 wrote:

Its rediculous how ps3s cant play ps2 games. Its only because older ps3 can play ps2 games, just like the older xbox 360s could play reg xbox games until the hardware got better and the old system's hardware got taken out for new hardware and then the ps2/xbox games are not compatible with the system anymore.


From what I remember they had to remove the hardware that gave the PS3 bc to maintain the price, at least thats what they told us. If this is correct, the next generation shouldn't have trouble being bc compatible right?


A lot of people think that, but it was the decreased cost of the Blu-Ray drive, CPU & GPU  that helped drive down the cost of the PS3. PS2 BC probably contributed less than 3% of the PS3's manufacturing cost before it was removed.

 

Since the PS4 is rumored to be powered by a totally different chipset class than the PS3, it isn't expected to be able to run PS3 games...

Message 47 of 84 (308 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/11/2012
Offline
1042 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 8, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Arkthur_us wrote:

lolkillz60978 wrote:

Its rediculous how ps3s cant play ps2 games. Its only because older ps3 can play ps2 games, just like the older xbox 360s could play reg xbox games until the hardware got better and the old system's hardware got taken out for new hardware and then the ps2/xbox games are not compatible with the system anymore.


From what I remember they had to remove the hardware that gave the PS3 bc to maintain the price, at least thats what they told us. If this is correct, the next generation shouldn't have trouble being bc compatible right?


A lot of people think that, but it was the decreased cost of the Blu-Ray drive, CPU & GPU  that helped drive down the cost of the PS3. PS2 BC probably contributed less than 3% of the PS3's manufacturing cost before it was removed.

 

Since the PS4 is rumored to be powered by a totally different chipset class than the PS3, it isn't expected to be able to run PS3 games...


That sucks, well my PS3 is practically new so no harm in keeping it alive a couple of years Smiley Happy

Message 48 of 84 (304 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28523 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 8, 2012

In all fairness, nobody knows what a potential new Playstation console will have. Anything you've read has been speculative to say the least. 

 

The other thing is, and this is only me mind you, we've seen that backward compatibility is a double edged sword. Consoles are loss leaders, and they need to sell games to make a profit. Selling  a console, and then you turning around and playing a ten year old game is essentially a loss for a hardware maker. Where's the incentive from a business standpoint to have a backward compatible console? I know there are many who say "it would totally sell like totally more totally consoles... totally". Yes, however if you want to make it up on volume, sales would have to go up signficantly. 

Message 49 of 84 (296 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Aug 9, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

In all fairness, nobody knows what a potential new Playstation console will have. Anything you've read has been speculative to say the least. 

 

The other thing is, and this is only me mind you, we've seen that backward compatibility is a double edged sword. Consoles are loss leaders, and they need to sell games to make a profit. Selling  a console, and then you turning around and playing a ten year old game is essentially a loss for a hardware maker. Where's the incentive from a business standpoint to have a backward compatible console? I know there are many who say "it would totally sell like totally more totally consoles... totally". Yes, however if you want to make it up on volume, sales would have to go up signficantly. 


The "incentive" for a company to include BC so to speak to make the new system more attractive for owners of the previous system to buy, and thus help build up a user base.

 

The best example of BC in a product line is Nintendo's GameBoy & DS product lines. I believe those products did very well partially because it had BC, customers were assured that they can play their old games on their new system, and many of them feel that is important to them. I don't think in any of those systems have had software sales impacted because it had BC.

 

I also don't think that the PS2, Wii, or Xbox 360 had negitively impacted software sales due to the inclusion of BC. However I believe the PS3 did, because the PS2 library was much stronger at the time the PS3 was released in 2006.

 

IMO had the Vita included compatibility with PSP UMD games, I believe it would have sold better in the US and Japan....

Message 50 of 84 (293 Views)
Reply
0 Likes