PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 Slim play PS2 games?

Nov 16, 2012

twtbird007 wrote:

The only option I could foresee at this time would be for Sony, or third-party, to develop a software emulation using a virtual machine software, and make it an icon on the home screen, so that when you click it, you pretty much are taken out of the PS3, and can only play PS2/PS1 games.  This could be a little cumbersome, and take a lot of memory, so a cost would be implemented to accomodate the software patch.  And I think that a minimum HDD size would have to be implemented for the patch (500 Gb HDD).  But with the emergence, and popularity, of virtual machine software, I do not see how it would take much to make it work.

If this was easy to do, it would have happened a long time ago....

Message 61 of 87 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
845 posts

Nov 16, 2012

I'll say this, when I got my first PS3 (the BC one) I was playing PS2 games like it was yesteryear. Games like Socom and Final Fantasy XII. I bought the adaptor so I could transfer all my data over.

Now I own a slim version as well and haven't even had time to play my beloved PS2 games. There are some I still want to play and I'll purchase them occasionally, but with the amount of great games coming out lately (Assassin's Creed 3, Ragnarok Odyssey, PSASBR, Halo, and many others) I just can't find time to play those older titles.

The PS2 feature is great, but I think it's only good for those who just hate the games made for this generation of consoles.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total Smiley Happy
Message 62 of 87 (722 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 12, 2012

and thats why i still have my ps2 because i knew i would become one of the questions of the chat . Smiley Tongue

Message 63 of 87 (668 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2787 posts

Dec 13, 2012

I dont' know if it's been said, not reading  7+ pages to find out, but the HARDWARE for BC with PS2 games was taken out among other things like 2 usb slots and the memory card reader in order to allow more airflow, cut down on heat (the fats were like an oven within an hour i believe), and of course to cut costs so they dont' lose so much on each one sold. The FAT was ridiculous.. it actually COST them 800 to make them I think (or 600)..... You want to play PS2 games then ya... get a PS2. I have two of them lol. One's in a closet as a backup. Although I still have to replace the lens or w/e on it rofl.

Message 64 of 87 (661 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 25, 2012

The reason it has a PS2 MemCard is because you can buy some classic PS2 games on the PSStore and save them on that MemCard. Also I too think that the removal of backwards compatibility is an outrage. Sony better bring it up! I also hate the removal of the OtherOS feature. But I guess right now we have to deal with it.

Message 65 of 87 (616 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 25, 2012

dan123912391239 wrote:

The reason it has a PS2 MemCard is because you can buy some classic PS2 games on the PSStore and save them on that MemCard. Also I too think that the removal of backwards compatibility is an outrage. Sony better bring it up! I also hate the removal of the OtherOS feature. But I guess right now we have to deal with it.

My understanding is that the PS2 Classics you buy on PSN don't use the PS2 virtual memory cards you can make on the PS3. That function is simply a carryover from the older PS3 models...

Message 66 of 87 (612 Views)
First Son
13 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 25, 2012

Sony having the Internal PS2 Memory Card on non-BC systems isn't an important issue with them I believe.  Nintendo has done the same thing with the Wii.

When they released the Wii Family Edition that was non-BC with Nintendo Gamecube games or accessories (which is now the only model in production) they didn't update their menu either.

Disc Channel still displays a generic Wii disc and a Gamecube disc image when loading a game or when no game is present. If you attempt to put a Gamecube disc in the system will eject it immediatly despite showing the image on screen. The non-BC Wii's still have the Gamecube Memory Card manager in their menu as well but is useless since it has no slots for a Gamecube Memory Card.

At least with Sony users of the non-BC PlayStations can still make use of the Internal PS2 Memory Card. When I had a 1st Gen Slim this is what I did after finding a Memory Card Adaptor on eBay.

-Had an Internal PS2 Card for all my backed up PS1 saves.

--- You can't use this card for PS1 games however in order to use the data you would need to transfer it to an Internal PS1 Card. I don't like a lot of stuff on the menu so this helped me reduce clutter.

-Used the Internal PS2 Card to back up PS2 data not being used.

--- I only have one physical PS2 Card now since one of my friends needed a replacement card.

So even though the non-BC PS3s can't play PS2 games there are several ways to make use of this feature unlike Nintendo who just left all the Gamecube menus on the non-BC Wii and you can't use them.

Now for PSN PS1 games you will need to create an Internal PS1 Card.

For PS2 Classics from PSN you don't need the internal PS2 Card since each game saves its data under "System Data Utility (PS2)"

Message 67 of 87 (605 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28983 posts

Dec 25, 2012

The internal PS2 memory card is still there for the users who still have a PS3 that is capable of playing PS2 games. It's more practical for Sony to have everyone use the same firmware, rather than develop two different versions.

Message 68 of 87 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Dec 25, 2012

Yeah, I have not downloaded the PS2 memory card on my slim and it saves everything fine. So I too think it is simply for the BC PS3's

~REVOLUTION_IS_MY_NAME~
Message 69 of 87 (594 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 5, 2013

Some people may have recently purchased a PS3 without having ever owned a PS2.  Once playing some PS3 games and browsing the Playstation network of games found PS2 games of interest. Therefore, being able to play older system games on the newly purchased PS3 would be nice; therefore, a question such as this arises.  And, yes, I'm that "some people." Smiley Happy

Message 70 of 87 (538 Views)
0 Likes