Highlighted
Aug 07 2013
By: GamerJon92 Uncharted Territory 1422 posts

Why no Star Wars: The Old Republic free to play on ps3 yet

[ Edited ]
22 replies 1285 views Edited Aug 22, 2014

and if it ever happens make the download like 20gb not 1gb the download the extra crap i want to use the donwload manager unlike dc univerce 

added label feedback.ideas. GuardianBelle

Message 1 of 23 (1,285 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Why no Star Wars: The Old Republic free to play on ps3 yet

Aug 7, 2013
Message 2 of 23 (1,274 Views)
VP of Gaming
29187 posts

Aug 7, 2013

GamerJon92 wrote:

and if it ever happens make the download like 20gb not 1gb the download the extra crap i want to use the donwload manager unlike dc univerce 

And who are you talking to exactly?

Message 3 of 23 (1,268 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12011 posts

Aug 7, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

Because it never will be. It's PC-Only.

well i wouldnt say never, it is entirly up to bioware to get it on the playstaion platform.. 

>

Message 4 of 23 (1,257 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 7, 2013

Teus wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

well i wouldnt say never, it is entirly up to bioware to get it on the playstaion platform.. 

Right, it's entirely possible Bioware could decide to push it multiplatform. Might be a better business move if they did. Larger audience is always good.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 5 of 23 (1,246 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Aug 7, 2013

Shadelon wrote:

Teus wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

Right, it's entirely possible Bioware could decide to push it multiplatform. Might be a better business move if they did. Larger audience is always good.

Larger audience, sure, but you're neglecting the cost associated with not only porting a game to PS3 (substantially different architecture), but also all the servers necessary to host an MMO.

And that money isn't going to come from BioWare, it'd come from EA (the publisher), so that's where the decision would fall to first. So yeah, good luck with that.

A PS4 port would be more likely, as development cost would be less, but still don't hold your breath.

Message 6 of 23 (1,241 Views)
Last Guardian
12011 posts

Aug 7, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

Shadelon wrote:

Teus wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

Larger audience, sure, but you're neglecting the cost associated with not only porting a game to PS3 (substantially different architecture), but also all the servers necessary to host an MMO.

And that money isn't going to come from BioWare, it'd come from EA (the publisher), so that's where the decision would fall to first. So yeah, good luck with that.

A PS4 port would be more likely, as development cost would be less, but still don't hold your breath.

you think that ea would pass up the chance to make more money?

keep in mind even in free 2 play they gotta make money somehow... thats what microtransactions are for...

>

Message 7 of 23 (1,235 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 7, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

Shadelon wrote:

Teus wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

I said "multiplatform", I never specifically said PS3. I actually agree it should go to PS4 over PS3. It would be miles easier and the PS4 would probably fit the required specs better. Cramming it down into PS3's old and crappy specs would be a feat and a half.

And I'm not holding my breath. I only said it's possible they could go multiplatform with it. I hate Star Wars as it is so I wouldn't give a crap either way.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 8 of 23 (1,234 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 8, 2013

Teus wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

Shadelon wrote:

Teus wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

you think that ea would pass up the chance to make more money?

keep in mind even in free 2 play they gotta make money somehow... thats what microtransactions are for...

But the question is, at what cost do they have to spend FIRST to develop the game for a different platform? Its not just about making money.... its about balancing how much money needs to be spent in order to make a profit.

A lot of PC games never came to consoles because they're simply too much trouble... other games, they're just terrible on console.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 23 (1,202 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 8, 2013

If you want SWTOR, just get it on PC.... It doesn't take much to run this game.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 23 (1,201 Views)
0 Likes