Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Re: Why such terrible games on Playstation Plus for PS4?

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

I don't know I had an Atari and played Asteroids and Missile Command and the lot but when I got my Nintendo or Sega Genesis You couldn't get away with putting those type of games on a new console. I wouldn't stand for that with my Sega CD or 32X! But isn;t that exactly what's going on today? not just indie but remastered and remakes? It's nice Sony wants Indie games for their consoles but realistically wouldn't these titles be better for a phone or tablet? And wouldn't it be nice if an indie developer could make a good looking game with a captivating story sure maybe a B rate game instead of a AAA for a reasonable amount?

Like really there are games out there where you can make your own levels You can choose your characters hair, skin color, clothes and all else. Wouldn't putting out a set of intuitive tools that worked like that give an artist or story teller an easy way of making a low budget game that could still be good and still look on par with a decent game maybe a B game? Instead there are overpirced Development kits that work on maximizing the efficiency of like the GPU and crap that takes a developer a longer time to go through all the new processes they now have to go through to make a game so only a big budget studio can make a decent game. Or something so technical and unintuitive that it takes a hack or a nerd to make a game? I mean can you imagine if these people made even board games back in the day who would play them? I'm really sure these people are experts on fun! At least AAA games are Cool but indie games are like neat lol

Isn't it funny that apparently not a single indie game maker wants to make a game that is on par to a AAA title we are used to playing even if its a B rate version of one? I don't think this is the case - that they don't want to - it's that they can't so technically many of them are not even making a game they want to make! - from an artistical stand point. I think all this money would be better spent on tools so intuitive even a user could make a game, tell a story, maybe a collection of shared assests you can alter for aesthetic. Then maybe i'd be interested in indie games! Until then your pushing Asteroids for Atari to an owner of a Sega CD with a 32X or at least a guy with a smartphone or actually a PS4.

"All men are created equally!" ya but umm then they do stuff or something
Message 31 of 52 (495 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6002 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

@NSlaine I highly recommend reading my posts on the second page of this thread, those titles aren't possible on phone/Tablet/NES games if you are really into graphics. Indies do provide that awesome graphics pop that AAA studios provide, you just have to look for them, you are simply looking at titles that you can't get over the classic aesthetic look thereof.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Why-such-terrible-games-on-Playstation-Pl...

Please try to do paragraphs though, My head hurt trying to read that wall of text, no offense though.

Message 32 of 52 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12571 posts

Aug 7, 2014

When I was with Microsoft 360 they had ton of indie games for $1 and up. When Sony stole me to the PS4 their indie games are so much more different and I would say they are more so arcade games and not indie. I miss my 360 indie games and Sony is nothing like it.

Message 33 of 52 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

I don't know the new samsung tablet has 2 quadcore processors and even the ipad had the same gpu as the PS VIta so i think these games would be playable. Now I'll admit there are some indie games where I like the art and the story sounds interesting but gosdangitt it's an old school platformer! Or an indie title that has a unique mechanic but goshdangit I have a WiiU hey maybe it would be a fun mini game inside a game? How hard would it be for an indie developer to make a formulaic game? An RPG, A FPS, An action adventure like old school tomb raider? A 10-15Hr game that is just as derivative as everything else, has a story but didn't cost millions to make? How hard would it be to empower them to do this with tools they even have within a video game itself? Maybe I'm taking the Game Engine to new level of features anf intuitiveness.

Now sure most Indie game makers don't want to make a formulaic game but I would rather play one, and would be happy to if I like the story. I mean give me some things to kill some puzzles to solve, things to find and collect, tell a story and I'm excited! Hey a new game mechanic Great! interesting art even better! but I do want something that looks and plays like it was made in the ps1,2,3,or 4 era. not an 80's arcade game.

Message 34 of 52 (529 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6002 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

NSlaine wrote:

I don't know the new samsung tablet has 2 quadcore processors and even the ipad had the same gpu as the PS VIta so i think these games would be playable. Now I'll admit there are some indie games where I like the art and the story sounds interesting but gosdangitt it's an old school platformer! Or an indie title that has a unique mechanic but goshdangit I have a WiiU hey maybe it would be a fun mini game inside a game? How hard would it be for an indie developer to make a formulaic game? An RPG, A FPS, An action adventure like old school tomb raider? A 10-15Hr game that is just as derivative as everything else, has a story but didn't cost millions to make? How hard would it be to empower them to do this with tools they even have within a video game itself? Maybe I'm taking the Game Engine to new level of features anf intuitiveness.

Now sure most Indie game makers don't want to make a formulaic game but I would rather play one, and would be happy to if I like the story. I mean give me some things to kill some puzzles to solve, things to find and collect, tell a story and I'm excited! Hey a new game mechanic Great! interesting art even better! but I do want something that looks and plays like it was made in the ps1,2,3,or 4 era. not an 80's arcade game.

Even with paragraphs, this made my head hurt as well...

Are you saying these below are playable on a phone/Tablet, made as a mini game, and look like a game from the 80 's like NES? You are either trolling really hard or you might need to get yours eyes checked.

And those are all indie titles, high graphic ones you and others seem to be ONLY lavishing over. If you can get past the other game's aesthetics (the ones you are talking about), you'll find that a lot of the indie games can be fun, and have deep gameplay like the big boys.

Indies in General can make great games just like AAA studios, you just have to look for them. Both sides , AAA and Indies, produce good and bad games, try not to dismiss one developer over the other due to what you feel are budgetary constraints, you could miss out on some great games!

Having a broad paintbrush saying all indie titles only produce crap or only produce old style visuals not to your liking when that is not the case at all. Just gotta break that wall, that attitude and try some of these games before bringing judgement on them without doing so, you may suppose yourself and enjoy them.

Message 35 of 52 (516 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

I wouldn't say Indies make bad games but yea maybe the cgi looks impressive sometimes but so does world of warcrafts and diablo's but the gameplay is entirely different. Most of these games gameplay don't look that far off from Segas Dreamcast and likely could be played on a tablet. But what I am saying is you don't see an indie developer making a regular formulaic game and thats becuase they can't. It should be easier to do. Is it that hard to make a game with the typical traits all of the retail games have? Obviously yes or they'd do it! So make it easier for them and then they'll make games a console owner would want to play.

Other than that the games look good but they also like a 2d version of the 3d world. but look at pixeljunk it plays on the Vita so it would play on a tablet Fez is a PC game and would play on a tablet to Resogun a 2d game with 3d backgrounds Strider looks like something from the dreamcast Trine loks like another 2D game with 3D backgrounds. No Man's Sky has procedurally generated levels I guess that could be cool but its what turned me off on Deep Down. Not that these games don't look good or fun but they do look like I'd like them alot more if I was still 10.

Message 36 of 52 (507 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6002 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

NSlaine wrote:

I wouldn't say Indies make bad games but yea maybe the cgi looks impressive sometimes but so does world of warcrafts and diablo's but the gameplay is entirely different. Most of these games gameplay don't look that far off from Segas Dreamcast and likely could be played on a tablet. But what I am saying is you don't see an indie developer making a regular formulaic game and thats becuase they can't. It should be easier to do. Is it that hard to make a game with the typical traits all of the retail games have? Obviously yes or they'd do it! So make it easier for them and then they'll make games a console owner would want to play.

Other than that the games look good but they also like a 2d version of the 3d world. but look at pixeljunk it plays on the Vita so it would play on a tablet Fez is a PC game and would play on a tablet to Resogun a 2d game with 3d backgrounds Strider looks like something from the dreamcast Trine loks like another 2D game with 3D backgrounds. No Man's Sky has procedurally generated levels I guess that could be cool but its what turned me off on Deep Down. Not that these games don't look good or fun but they do look like I'd like them alot more if I was still 10.

Yet you've tried none of them to give a better review and judgement... Your view on the games you tried to give an opinion about are quite funny though as they aren't at all like your describing but you didn't even touch on Outlast, Soma, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, Source, and the other titles. You don't have to though, your reflection kinda tells me you kinda don't know what your talking about. Apologies for coming into this thread, I won't bother you guys or this thread anymore...

Message 37 of 52 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2014

Well take a look at gameplay one thing I can say about all of these games except maybe pixeljunk is that they look good and look much better than Mario 64, but honestly I'd rather play Mario 64. Take a look at a successfull indie like Minecraft the thing about that game is it plays like a 3d game. Or you can compare something like Outlast to say the very first Resident Evil I know I'd rather play the first Resident Evil and I haven't tried it either - Which they're re-releasing for Ps3 and Ps4 . Now I am disappointed I missed out on Contrast but most of these games don't have a story you know with dialougue and charecter development and a plot nor do they play in a 3d world which has been the thing since the first Playstation.

Or just look at the Entertainment industry - the thing is no matter who you are or what you do or even how successful you are more people dislike you than like you. Micheal Jackson may be the perfect example of this he is one of the most successful artists ever in music but alot more people hated him than ever liked him. And you can look at all the Ps3 AAA titles that are free on Ps+ that I pass on too I've never played Crysis and it doesn't look like I'm going to either.

The thing is yeah video games are fun, but so is music, so are movies, TV, Reading, Bars and Clubs, Friends, Sports, Family, the Internet, and Poker. So even if your indie your still competing with all of this for attention and the best of the best of each of them If i'd rather listen to Jay-z on youtube than play your game then thats what I'm going to do. I just think its covenient (or unfortunate) nobody makes a indie game thats like a regular game - like the TV show version of a movie maybe less special effects but everything is still there - Maybe the Gaming Industry should Empower them with easy to use intuitive tools to do so I know alot more people would make games if they could make a game they want and alot of gamers who'd play a B game over an arcadey style game.

Message 38 of 52 (478 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11686 posts

Aug 7, 2014
Again not all games will appeal to everyone.. It is not sonys fault that the games being offered up to this point has any of your interest..
>

Message 39 of 52 (464 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

PS+ on PS4 is... Underwhelming.

[ Edited ]
Aug 11, 2014

The PS3 gets games like NBA 2K14 and Crysis 3 but us PS4 users get crappy indie games.. WTH?!?! Give me games I'll actually enjoy playing!

Mod Edit: Removed "Games and Platforms" label. -- XiomaraRose

Message 40 of 52 (521 Views)