PlayStation MVP
986 posts

Re: Why You Should NOT Game Share

Sep 18, 2012

jb_x105strike wrote:

Reason #3

Reason # 3 deals with protecting your personal information, fraudulent credit card purchases, and identity theft. When you create a PSN account you give out a lot of personal information such as first name, last name, date of birth, address, and so on. When you give out your email and password to game share you allow an untrustworthy person or even a complete stranger access to that information. I'll detail in a minute why this is undesirable. Among all that other information though is your credit card information. Say that the card does not belong to you and belongs to your mother. By giving another person this information you have also given them access to that credit card information and they can use that to make as many purchases as they want which they do and very soon there is no money in that bank account and/or credit card charges equalling hundreds, thousands, or possibly even millions of dollars. If it's the bank account you have just put your mother and possibly by extension, your entire family in an extremely unstable financial situation. Consider that that was your own personal credit card. You have just made yourself poor on your own.

As I said I'll now explain why protecting your personal information from those who have no right to it should be a priority. Many times personal information like your date of birth, first name, last name, address, and so on can be used to do certain things. For instance, your address could be used to locate your house and rob you. There have also been instances where knowing this information can allow that person to sign up for a credit card. Picture it, this person you just gave your personal information to just went and signed up for a credit card. He can then use that card as he wants, to purchase whatever he wants. A vacation to the Bahama's, a new 2013 Ford Mustang, a house, you get the picture. When somone does this they are literally pretending to be you and those charges are being made in your name and the credit card company is legally authorized to demand payment from you.. This is identity theft and I assure you it's not something you ever want to experience. It is painstakingly hard to reverse and can take several years to do so. Consider your actions caused your mother to have her identity stolen. You have just caused her a world of financial pain and forced her to spend several years correcting her credit score.

In short, keep your psn game and dlc to yourself and your own systems. I welcome all replies but please keep them constructive and relevant to the topic. I am open to debate but I ask you to do so with an open mind and a clear grasp of common sense and reason. I do not tolerate trolls and will not dignify them with much of a response except to state I believe the message to be a troll and will not feed it.

Okay i was agreeing to all the things you said until you brought up Reason #3. 

Giving out your email and password to someone and putting in a email and password for them can have different intentions.

Sure, you're a idiot for giving all access information to someone random and expect them to be "loyal" back to you.

Games are still operational without account access. This is by just signing out of the person console, leaving the ghost user account you created abandoned and the games useable on their personal account. Aka, no access to your information.

I just wanted to point that out since you said: quote:

When you give out your email and password to game share you allow an untrustworthy person or even a complete stranger access to that information.

Not everyone is stupid to give their information to strangers or people that aren't honest. 

photo 4fc81dda-42ac-43fc-8fa0-797ea986ead1_zpsd00221f5.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 312 (1,947 Views)
Splicer
48 posts

Sep 19, 2012

You seem to forget that a large majority of the people that make up the PSN user base are children and children rarely consider the consequences of their actions. Kids these days are entirely too trusting with people they meet online. Then you have the next biggest group, teenagers. Teenagers like to think they know everything in the world but they couldn't be farther from the truth. I disagree with your statement. There are thousands to millions of people on the PSN who are plenty stupid enough to hand their account info to someone they don't truly know for squat.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 312 (1,936 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2012

jb_x105strike wrote:

There has never been any game sharing feature on the PS3 at any point in time. Obviously you are confusing it with the game share feature on the PSP which is worlds aparts from what we are talking about here. The game data that is shared through that feature is also deleted when the PSP is turned off.

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

(Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.  If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'")

originally posted here...http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/game-sharing-explain-jack-tretton-comment...

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 312 (1,933 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 29, 2012

ok so i have this situation. I heard a guy in school saying the following " black ops 2 is about to come out! i think im gonna buy it at the        

PSN store and ill download it in my linked ps3 in my grand parents house!" but i have some questions, first of all, can you even share the whole game (digitally bought in the ps store) to another system? i completely opose to game sharing violation btw. 

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 312 (1,832 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4394 posts

Oct 29, 2012

PRL_ wrote:

ok so i have this situation. I heard a guy in school saying the following " black ops 2 is about to come out! i think im gonna buy it at the        

PSN store and ill download it in my linked ps3 in my grand parents house!" but i have some questions, first of all, can you even share the whole game (digitally bought in the ps store) to another system? i completely opose to game sharing violation btw. 

First of all, Black ops 2 hasn't been announced yet to be available on the Playstation store, secondly it is possible to download full length games on multiple consoles from the same account.

*/_\*
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 312 (1,815 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Oct 30, 2012

Please don't listen to the topic creator, you have 5 game activations for games prior to November 2011 and 2 game activations for dates after that. The reason is, you just paid 60 dollars for a digital version of a game. Because these games do not cost the publisher distrubtion and production costs the price of the product should be roughly half of the total. IE 30 dollars. That is why you get two account activations. You should not share your account information with strangers but with family it should be fine, unless you don't trust your family for some reason...

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 312 (1,795 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 30, 2012

Exactly.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 312 (1,783 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Oct 31, 2012

Gamesharing will become obsolete soon since online passes have been created. The companies we bought games from obviously never wanted us to share them with family, friends, or strangers. 

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 312 (1,769 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 4, 2012

dude can you **bleep** your just mad because u have no. friends that would gameshare with you... really i dont see nothing wrong with gamesharing beside when it use to be 5 user now that taking money from the dev that made the game.. now that it 2 ppl that can gameshare, it basically you & one person that two ppl on one user so get it right.

lucy i'm home you have a lot of explaining to do...
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 312 (1,739 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Is gamesharing okay if you own 2 PS3S and you use the same account on both?

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 312 (1,713 Views)
0 Likes