Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
13 posts

Re: Will Dualshock 4 also be wired? (When plugged in will signal travel through wire and not bluetoo

[ Edited ]
Aug 26, 2013

It does turn off the BT radio when wired. PS Support have confirmed it to me in the past, and as you saw in that video, when wired, the EMR levels are practically nil.

As for the 'tin foil hat' issue, I'm talking about the idea that EMR is potentially carcinogenic and how many people refute that claim. I actually don't know what to think. Is it true?

At least I can say this: You yourself say to hold the controller outside 3 feet, but how are we to game with a controller that far from our laps?

Message 11 of 21 (381 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1859 posts

Re: Will Dualshock 4 also be wired? (When plugged in will signal travel through wire and not bluetoo

Aug 26, 2013
@BBurgSteve: Now you're just being hard headed... It is clearly obvious that the Dualshock 3 is connected wirelessly through Bluetooth, and when it is connected via USB, Bluetooth shuts off and continues to use its signal through the cord. It's common sense.

Case in Point: Sony's Pulse Elite Headset runs on the same way the Dualshock 3 does (Only a fool would try to question that...) It receives its functions through Bluetooth via its transceiver (the same way the Dualshock 3 picks up its functions from the PS3).

Now, if you plug in your headset to an audio device via audio cable, it cuts ALL of its Bluetooth featutes off and focuses on the audio device. Same with the Dualshock 3. When you plug it to a USB cable, the Bluetooth features turn off and focuses on the connection through the cable.

You want proof? Access the Recovery Menu of the PS3. It CLEARLY tells you plug in the controller via USB Cable. Guess what happens if you unplug it in the process? YOUR CONTROLLER WON'T SYNC BECAUSE BLUETOOTH IS NOT ACTIVE!

Again, its just common sense... -_-
Message 12 of 21 (378 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 23, 2013

Jraslp, have you confirmed that the Bluetooth radio of the Dualshock 4 does turn off when wired to the Playstation 4? As far as I can tell, it does *not* turn off (unlike the DS3).

If it did turn off, then, you wouldn't be able to wirelessly connect your DS4 to your PS4 and then connect it *wired* to your PC and see button/stick activity show up on *both* the PC and DS4!

Let me ask you this, why would Sony design it like this? Especially if you want a true wired connection for LAN events/trade-shows/tournaments, etc?

Message 13 of 21 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Nov 26, 2013

This is unfortunately confirmed... the Dualshock4 is not nor can it be used in a wired mode on the PS4.  I've just tried everything and to no avail.   This is unfortunate.  Sony please fix this in an update.  

Message 14 of 21 (200 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5453 posts

Nov 26, 2013

seventec_ wrote:

This is unfortunately confirmed... the Dualshock4 is not nor can it be used in a wired mode on the PS4.  I've just tried everything and to no avail.   This is unfortunate.  Sony please fix this in an update.  

Then, if you would, please, explain how I was able to follow the prompts to do my initial system update while the controller was plugged in.

When you say "tried everything", what do you mean?

Grindhead_Jim

Message 15 of 21 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1413 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

seventec_ wrote:

Then, if you would, please, explain how I was able to follow the prompts to do my initial system update while the controller was plugged in.

When you say "tried everything", what do you mean?

Yes, and seven, please explain how a few nights ago I was able to plug in m DS4 to my PS4 via the USB cord to charge it, while playing a game with it?

Message 16 of 21 (193 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 29, 2013
BaltRavensFan20 and Grindhead_Jim. Point is that it uses bluetooth signals and not the cable for communication, when wired. Not that you cant play at all.
Message 17 of 21 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1413 posts

Nov 29, 2013
Then he should have been a bit more specific. The way he worded it made it sound like you couldn't use the controller at all when you are using the usb cable with it.
Message 18 of 21 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 29, 2013
DS3 can and does work through the USB when plugged into the PS3. It does not turn off the BT when plugged into a devoce with no drivers for it however so it can charge and still be used. If you don't believe me install the USB drivers on you PC and you'll notice the controller works on PC but not the PS3.

I assume its the same for DS4 since it can be used with PC already.
Message 19 of 21 (174 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 4, 2013
I too would like to be able to use the controller in "wired" mode. My gaming area is about 20ft from the PS4 and I experience interference (stuck joysticks and missed button presses) pretty frequently. I ran a USB cable to no avail.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a future update. The fact that the controller works on PCs and PS3s when plugged in is promising.
Message 20 of 21 (162 Views)
0 Likes