I realize what happened to you sucks but now you know that you can and should backup everything you care about. It does not matter if the ps4 has all of these features you are talking about. The HDD could always completely fail and you could lose everything.
Once your system locks up its too late even for safe mode, and we can not backup movies purchased from psn. The PS3 does not have the ability to identify a bad game file and fix it before corruption occurs , that is why I started this conversation, a game freezing should not have to lead to losing everything , a game not downloading properly should not have to lead to losing everything. And cloud save is not enough and only helps with game save data, what about movies from psn , what about themes, what about games, there needs to be a safe way to reboot when a game freezes that does not risk corruption like a reset button, the PS3 and PS4 need to be able to locate and fix or delete bad files without compromising the entire HDD.
|When it comes to protecting your data, redundant backups on different locations [e.g. local, external, cloud] is your best friend.
|Depending on the movie, you can back it up to an external device or a PSP. Movies purchases are a one time download for they are treated as a physical copy. The movie purchase/rental agreement is clear on these things. It is up to you to be proactive and back them up before your HDD fails/becomes corrupted.
PSN Video Owners Terms
Purchasing videos to own from PlayStation Network Video Download Serviceis similar to purchasing a Blu-ray Disc™ or DVD movie, with the difference being you can store your purchased videos to your PS3, PSP System, or PC. Plus, you can play back your purchased content on one PS3 and up to three PSP systems. There are specific guidelines when purchasing videos from the PlayStation Network.
Guidelines for purchasing videos to own
- Purchased videos to own have no time limit for viewing, so as long as the terms of the agreement are not violated, the purchased videos can be viewed indefinitely
- Purchased videos to own in standard definition can be played on a single activated PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and up to 3 activated PSP® portable entertainment systems.
- Purchased videos to rent in standard definition can be downloaded to a single PS3 or a single PSP system then passed between either activated system once.
- Videos purchased on the video store cannot be re-downloaded once it has been downloaded to either a PS3 or PSP system
- Any user on a PS3 may begin playback of a video purchased to own once it has been downloaded to the system (unless some other restriction, such as parental controls
Guidelines for renting videos
PlayStation®Network Video Download Service Terms
Guidelines for renting videos
- You can only view the videos for the following amount of time:
- You have up to 30 days to download the video after completing the purchase. This time limit is also the maximum time available to view the video.
- You have up to 24 hours to view the content after the first time it is played (assuming there are 24 hours or more before the 30 days expire).
- Rental videos can only be played initially on a single PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system or a single PSP® portable entertainment system, depending on type of video you rent. It cannot be played on both products simultaneously.
- Rentals can be downloaded to a single PS3 or a single PSP system, depending on type of video you rent.
- Videos in high definition may only be viewed on a PS3.
- Content cannot be re-downloaded once it has been downloaded to either a PS3 or PSP system without renting the video for an additional term (if you rent the video again at a later date, you can re-download the video at that point).
- Once you have started watching a rental video, it cannot be transferred to watch on another device.
- Any user on a PS3 or PSP system may begin playback of a rental video once it has been downloaded to that system (unless some other restriction, such as parental controls, prevents you from playing back the content).
- There may be issues accessing the Canadian Video Download Service outside of Canada.
NOTE: 24 hours after the start of playback, a title covered by a rental license will no longer be viewable even if the content remains on the PS3 hard disk drive, Memory Stick™ media, or PSP®go system storage. This is true even if the 30 day download deadline has not expired.
Conversely, if you start the first viewing of a 2 hour video with only 1 hour left on the 30 day period, you will not be able to complete the video, even though you have not had the full 24 hours. Once the 30 day period is over, the video can no longer be viewed regardless of the time remaining on the 24 hour clock.
The permitted time to watch the video is the shorter of the 24 hours after the first playback or 30 days after purchase.
Also be aware, if you are simultaneously watching and downloading a video, the 24 hour clock will start the instant the video is first played. Since the download time will depend on the size of the video and your connection speed, a download may take several hours to complete. If you later decide to stop viewing the video to allow the download to finish, the 24 hour expiration will not stop because the video has not finished downloading which may cause the rental to expire before you can finish watching the entire video.
Click here for information on how to transfer rental movies from the PlayStation Network.
|Being able to re-download your game related DLC, themes, avatars is a form of cloud backup. If you didn't know you can re-download these things from your Download List.
|The PS3 is able to locate and remove bad data without compromising the entire HDD. It is called Restore File System
What we might see is improvements to the utilities found under Safe Mode. The PS3's HDD is fully encrypted and because of it there is only so much you can do to it. A lot of thing can go wrong that might prevent an encrypted HDD from properly booting up [e.g. damage boot loader, master key, etc]
When playing a game on PS3, if that game freezes and your PS3 locks up , you can not access the dashboard, your only option is to turn it off and turn it back on(with fingers crossed) and let the PS3 run fix file system, it does this all by its self you have no control you just sit there and hope for the best.
The new arquitecture should be better at handling resource hungry tasks but system locks are caused by bugs in software. SONY can go out of their way to add a reset button but if the game you are playing is buggy then there is the change that your system will lock, at which point all the reset button is going to do is a hard reset.
The PS3 takes over at this point because it will not boot from the HDD anymore until this gets fixed one way or another, because the PS3 treats the HDD like it is one big file. If this process fails your only other option is to boot up in safe mode and choose option 5 because the other ones will not do anything for you. Option 5 is restore PS3 system, that means wiping the HDD and starting over.
We have to deal with this with limited options because Sony gave the PS3 limited ability to deal with data corruption,
The PS3 HDD is fully encrypted and with security comes inconvenience. Be proactive and backup your data. Be glad that we have such options at our disposal [there was a time in which we didn't have them] Be glad that we get to use comercially avaible HDDs instead of proprietary HDDs.
and gR3yGh051 I am talking about data that came from sony, psn, and game data and save files, my problem started when I downloaded a game from psn that did not work, you should read an entire thread before posting argumentative remarks and taking shots at me personally. I will accept all constructive feedback and if you can help me prevent this from happening again great, if not that is fine too, I am not posting because I want to battle with the forum, I am posting because I want Sony to hear me and maybe fix this problem for all gamers on PS3 and PS4.
Use a wired connection for all heavy game downloads & firmware updates. There are plenty of things can go wrong when downloading a heavy file. I also suggest you upgrade your router's firmware.
As for SONY, what they need to do is increase their deployment servers and if they are not doing it already, simultaneously provide serveral download mirrors. This would provide the redundancy/file check you've been referring to; morover, it should make download faster & cause less load on the servers.
There are still a lot of unanswered questions about PS4 like how many usb ports will it have, where are they located, will they support 2.0 and 3.0, will it have an optical plug and support turtle beach px21 wired headset,
The PS3 will support USB 3.0
Yes, it will have a digital output. [I woud be retarded not to have one]
will we be able to pay to change our online ID,
That is PSN related not PS4.
will we be able to customize our profile card or use the one we use on these forums from psnprofiles.com, will there be a bigger bio section so we can let other gamers know who we are and the type of gamer
For the next generation the PSN is aiming to become a gamer's social network. I'm pretty sure the next time around SONY will do more with their trophy card. If they don't you can keep using your psnprofiles.com card.
,will the PS4 be able to keep its self cool when it is downloading and charging controllers while it is in sleep mode,
It better. I'm pretty sure they will not release the device without a good cooling system.
what is the touchpad on the controller for?
What are the buttons on the controllers for? The touch-pad is yet another medium for you to interact with the system.
Some of the solutions I talked about in this thread may not be perfect but they are solutions that can work. The PS4 is still in early stages of development, now is the time to talk about issues, features, and anything else we feel is important, do you know what happens if we don't ? " NOTHING"
Even if we don't talk about it, the PS4 will still be assembled and released. There has/is/will be a lot of people working on all the aspects that form PlayStation [e.g. hardware, software, structure, legal, marketing, etc...] No matter what, the PlayStation 4 will see the light. Nevertheless, yes, we ought to engage in conversation and discuss at all level the forthcoming future of PlayStation.