Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 21 2013
By: NOBLExROGUE First Son 30 posts

Will VITA games always have that "meh" feeling? I'm afraid so...

19 replies 306 views Edited Feb 21, 2013

I didn't expect Sony to talk about the VITA that much today because I knew this was a PS4 conference but I have this feeling that even at E3 the games they will show will just be meh.  I felt like that with the PSP and its games and I fear that the same is happening to the VITA.  I'm not expecting console quality games but please give us something close to it.  The games always feel halfway done and like they really didn't care how it turned out.  Developers aren't looking for their game to get great scores on the VITA because they know hardly anyone owns one.  So why put forth the effort it takes to make a AAA title.  They can just spend half the money, use half the resources, and use half the time to make a B game and it will sell fine.  In turn they will get a decent profit this way and not have to worry about any sort of loss.  I feel like this will be the endless cycle for the VITA.

Message 1 of 20 (306 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Will VITA games always have that "meh" feeling? I'm afraid so...

Feb 21, 2013

Have you seen the gameplay videos for Killzone: Mercenary? Visually, it definitely has that "console quality" to it and then some. I'm not a fan of consoles on shooters to begin with (PC FTW), but even I may buckle and pick that up just because of how amazing that looks. And that's coming out less than two years after the Vita launched...it'll only get better, quality-wise.

Soul Sacrifice, coming out next month, also looks amazing (I played the demo).

I can go on and on listing all the upcoming games, but we have a ton of threads on that already.

Like you said, we knew that the Vita wasn't going to be the focus tonight. We'll see what happens at E3. I have a feeling we'll actually get some good info on Vita games this year simply because of all the backlash at last year's E3. Sony's not blind.

Message 2 of 20 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Which games are you talking about?

And yes....Soul Sacrifice IS great, BUT it's not coming out until THE END OF APRIL. (US)
Message 3 of 20 (291 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Visually Killzone: Mercenary looks good but will it get the gameplay down?  Will it be supported online for some time with patches so people can continue to play online without any bugs and what not?  Will it be focused on that much when we have a new Killzone coming out on the PS4?  The PS4 is going to get the pampering from developers and all the focus.  VITA is like the stepchild they have to pay attention to every now and then to please a handfull of people.  Will the PS4 sell more VITAs?  I can hope so.  Until there are more sales though, I'm afraid it will be left in the dark by most developers.

Message 4 of 20 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4602 posts

Feb 21, 2013

If you look at titles like Sly Cooper to Ragnarok Odyessey, these may noy be triple A titles.  However, when you consider the excellent gameplay for a handheld, I certainly don't get that meh feeling.  I think titles in the future like Killzone will really entice gamers to follow suit.  I like to think of the Vita as underrated because many of these "raters" are gamers who don't even give the time to try the Vita itself.  I know a few people who got rid of their handhelds because COD online "sucked".  If it "sucked", why not try other good titles the Vita has to offer.  COD online or a bad review of Resistance should not determine the Vita's playability as a handheld.  Reviews for Vita games should really be taken with a grain of salt at the moment.  The idea of comparing it to console quality in pure development is obviously ridiculous.  Like I said before, the Vita may not be perfect, but I like to think it differentiates itself very well in this present day in the mobile market. 

Green Collar Baseball. Go A's!

Message 5 of 20 (272 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

CatatonicAlex wrote:
Which games are you talking about?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (out this month)

Dead or Alive 5 + (March)

Soul Sacrifice (April)

Phantasy Star Online 2 (US date should be soon)

Tearaway (I'm expecting Summer release)

Killzone: Mercenary (Sept)

Toukiden (recently announced, TBA)

Dragon's Crown (TBA)

Warrior's Lair (TBA)

Guacamelee (TBA)

Those are just the ones I'm following. The first seven are Vita exclusives (though PSO2 has cross-platform play with the PC).

Message 6 of 20 (264 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12329 posts

Feb 21, 2013

As thrilling as those titles are, it's a pretty slim list for a whole year.

Not to  mention, even though you say they're "exclusives", you can get console versions as well for a few of those (Like Ninja Gaiden and DOA5)

I mean sure, they don't have whatever extras the Vita version has, but if you've already played it, then......yeah

Plus, you have to be a fan of the Monster Hunter genre style (Since  Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden have similar gameplay) so there necessarily isn't something for everyone.

Then you have the fact that certain games may not even be localized.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 20 (260 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Feb 21, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

As thrilling as those titles are, it's a pretty slim list for a whole year.

Not to  mention, even though you say they're "exclusives", you can get console versions as well for a few of those (Like Ninja Gaiden and DOA5)

I mean sure, they don't have whatever extras the Vita version has, but if you've already played it, then......yeah

Plus, you have to be a fan of the Monster Hunter genre style (Since  Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden have similar gameplay) so there necessarily isn't something for everyone.

Then you have the fact that certain games may not even be localized.

Never played a Monster Hunter game. Soul Sacrifice is not like MH. I'll give you that Toukiden probably is though, which is why I'll have to see more. All I said was I'm following it, not that I'd buy it. It was literally just unveiled last week. And that's also the only game that "may not even be localized", everything else I listed is scheduled for a US release.

And again, that's only the games I'm following, that I remember off the top of my head. I'm sure if you Google, you can find a full list of slated Vita titles. But that wasn' t even the OP's point, he simply said that they're not living up to the system's potential. Looking at Soul Sacrifice and KZ:M, I'd have to say that devs are starting to produce some pretty sweet stuff. And Tearaway looks like it'll really take advantage of the Vita's unique features in a much more organic manner than any other game.

Message 8 of 20 (256 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12329 posts

Feb 21, 2013

How is SS not like MH?

You party up (if you want), go on quests, loot stuff, kill monsters, get exp, fight epic bosses and have to work together.

The only difference is that it's more magical instead of just being more traditional hunting.

And the whole "sacrificing party members" thing. I still don't get it. The sacrificed party members get NOTHING out of it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 20 (252 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Well im on the fence if I should go sell mine today...I feel as if I might regret it but at the same time I feel like if I don't do it now then I will be in the same boat I was with the PSP.  Just let down game release after game release.  I think it is slowly trying to be revived by Sony but there is only so much they can do when no one wants one.

Message 10 of 20 (222 Views)
0 Likes