Feb 24 2014
By: Aftcomet Splicer 64 posts

Will the PS4 EVER support Bluetooth?

[ Edited ]
22 replies 15410 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

I just find it a unacceptable that such a basic feature would be disabled for no reason. A next gen console that already has built in Bluetooth can't use it.

Why can't I use a bluetooth headset for voice chat? Why can't I use the Sony Bluetooth Media Remote?

Does Sony have any intentions of bringing bluetooth functionality? PS3 has it, no reason PS4 shouldn't.

Edit: Updated label. For more information on labels, click here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

PC: 3570K @ 4.6GHz | GTX 560 Ti @ 935/2125 | EVGA Z77 FTW | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB Intel 330 SSD
Consoles: PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | X360 | XBOX | NES
Handhelds: Vita | 3DS XL | Gameboy Advance | Gameboy Color | Gameboy Pocket | iOS | Android
Message 1 of 23 (15,410 Views)
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Re: Will the PS4 EVER support Bluetooth?

Feb 24, 2014

In before the fanboys cry "It's a GAME CONSOLE it don't need blootooth!! Stop being ungrateful Sony only has your best interests at heartz!!".

Seriously though I don't know.

Message 2 of 23 (15,407 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I use a Logitech Harmony One universal remote. So everything is a one button press for me, except the PS4. I still use my PS3 for Netflix because of this. 

It's just a simple thing. The PS4 has so many things going for it, but it's missing a lot of basic features the PS3 made standard.

PC: 3570K @ 4.6GHz | GTX 560 Ti @ 935/2125 | EVGA Z77 FTW | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB Intel 330 SSD
Handhelds: Vita | 3DS XL | Gameboy Advance | Gameboy Color | Gameboy Pocket | iOS | Android
Message 3 of 23 (15,400 Views)
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Aftcomet wrote:

I just find it a unacceptable that such a basic feature would be disabled for no reason. A next gen console that already has built in Bluetooth can't use it.

Why can't I use a bluetooth headset for voice chat? Why can't I use the Sony Bluetooth Media Remote?

Does Sony have any intentions of bringing bluetooth functionality? PS3 has it, no reason PS4 shouldn't.

While I appreciate you creating a thread requesting for more features added to the PS4, your thread title is very misleading. The PS4 does in fact support Bluetooth, maybe just not for voice chat headsets. I can easily connect my Bluetooth keyboard to my PS4 and post texts on Playstation Live. Connects easily without issue. So it DOES support Bluetooth so please change your thread title.

Message 4 of 23 (15,394 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
64 posts

Feb 24, 2014

HenryDJP wrote:

Aftcomet wrote:

While I appreciate you creating a thread requesting for more features added to the PS4, your thread title is very misleading. The PS4 does in fact support Bluetooth, maybe just not for voice chat headsets. I can easily connect my Bluetooth keyboard to my PS4 and post texts on Playstation Live. Connects easily without issue. So it DOES support Bluetooth so please change your thread title.

No because saying it does support bluetooth is misleading. It supports a limited version. Why can I use a keyboard but not the official Playstation Bluetooth Headset. That's asburd.

Message 5 of 23 (15,392 Views)
Splicer
64 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I'm a little ticked off because the PS4 has so much potential. Like I subscribe to Music Unlimited (which I love by the way). I love the fact that I can play music through it on the PS4. But what if I could use my iPod Touch that's running Music Unlimited to select songs instead of having to wade through menus on the PS4?

In other words, I select a song on my iPod and it plays on my PS4 while I'm playing a game. 

I mean, if the PS3 didn't support Bluetooth headsets, I probably wouldn't be as upset with it. But the fact that the PS4 is missing basic functionality that the PS3 made standard, I can't overlook that. It's going backwards.

Message 6 of 23 (15,385 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5240 posts

Feb 24, 2014

You know...

Thus is going to be devious a bit and not sound good whatsoever but I believe Sony will implement Bluetooth headset support in the future but on their terms.

What do I mean by that?

Sony was able to implement The Official PlayStation headset support a few weeks ago but with intention to sell a new headset at the same - the $99  PlayStation Gold Headset. With this in mind, I speculate an update to enable Bluetooth headset support but to sell a Bluetooth headset to everyone as well.

This kind of strategy is smart, with each new added feature , their intention is to sell you something at same time. This is my point of view btw and is speculation in how Sony is doing things this time around for PS4.

Another prediction or speculation, 3D Blu-ray support will be enabled in order to sell their VR mounted display unit to PlayStation fans....

Message 7 of 23 (15,383 Views)
Splicer
64 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I hope you're wrong. Sony has really positioned themselves as a consumer-oriented company. If they start locking down features and slowly releasing limited compatibility in an effort to try to force me to buy what they have to offer, it won't bode well. Not just for me but for a lot of other people.

Message 8 of 23 (15,377 Views)
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Wow I'm surprised bluetooth is still around. I use to use that thing on my fat nokia phone back in the early 2000s

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 23 (15,361 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5240 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

Aftcomet wrote:

I hope you're wrong. Sony has really positioned themselves as a consumer-oriented company. If they start locking down features and slowly releasing limited compatibility in an effort to try to force me to buy what they have to offer, it won't bode well. Not just for me but for a lot of other people.

Which is why I said it was just my point of view looking at how things are playing out. Despite being a gaming console, many are awaiting support for 3D Blu-ray, External hard drive support, MP3/video file support, Turing off HDCP - features never implemented into the PS4 (not removed like some think due to the PS3, as the PS4 is a new architecture) due to time constraints and focusing on the feature aspects of their gaming machine.

While Sony is a consumer oriented company, they are also that - a company means they are also a business trying make money any way they can. If what I speculate is true, it is a way for Sony to appease Bluetooth Headset owners by implementing the feature but also sell a new accessory (Bluetooth headset) to make money at the same time from those don't have one. We don't run these companies and their time frames are their own in how they as a company conduct a business. 

Message 10 of 23 (15,360 Views)