Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
3079 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 21, 2013

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

Would you guys rather spend your time playing all of the awesome next gen games instead of playing old outdated games?  I have been playing games my whole life and have never had the urge to play PS or PS2 games.  There's so many PS3 games that keep coming out that I can never get caught up.  I still have a pile of PS3 games that need to be platinumed still.  Also when I bought my PS3 I sold all of my dvd movies and only buy and rent blu-ray movies now.  I think that change is a good thing and you shouldn't let yourself get stuck in the past.  When the PS4 comes out I will sell my PS3 and all of my games and it will be a race again to try to keep up with all of the next gen games coming out.


Your whole life huh? You must be like 12 or something if you've never played any PS2 games..... let alone PS1.

 

As for the guy a few posts back, Yes I do have a vcr next to my blu-ray player (my PS3). And I still have the PS2 hooked up (to a new 40" flatscreen). Backwards compatability just raises the prices of the systems.... if you're whining about not having BC in a system coming out then you obviously HAVE the system to play the older games. Just freaking keep the **bleep** thing. Put it in your closet if there's no room on your entertainment shelf for both, and pull it out when you want to play one of your older games...... and if you do have room on the shelf.... there's these things called HDMI switchers you know? That is if you're too lazy to swap one HDMI cord from the PS3 to the PS4.... Or you could do what I've done for a few things, buy some $2.00 HDMI 1 foot extenders off Amazon and leave them hanging off the back of the TV, makes it easier to plug things in and out. One it saves the original plug on the TV from wear, and two it makes it easier to plug things in since you dont' have to flip the TV almost all the way around to see the plug.

 

As for the original post..... dude you need to learn english. That was one of the most HORRIBLY written things I've ever seen. Read it 4 times still have no clue what the hell you were saying.

 

But ya.... I hope it DOESN"T have BC...... I'd like to be able to afford it at a reasonable price (unlike how the PS3 was at launch, that price was ridiculous, which is why I waited YEARS to get one).

Message 21 of 56 (259 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 09/07/2006
Offline
2624 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 23, 2013

DragonIrons wrote:

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

Would you guys rather spend your time playing all of the awesome next gen games instead of playing old outdated games?  I have been playing games my whole life and have never had the urge to play PS or PS2 games.  There's so many PS3 games that keep coming out that I can never get caught up.  I still have a pile of PS3 games that need to be platinumed still.  Also when I bought my PS3 I sold all of my dvd movies and only buy and rent blu-ray movies now.  I think that change is a good thing and you shouldn't let yourself get stuck in the past.  When the PS4 comes out I will sell my PS3 and all of my games and it will be a race again to try to keep up with all of the next gen games coming out.


Your whole life huh? You must be like 12 or something if you've never played any PS2 games..... let alone PS1.

 

As for the guy a few posts back, Yes I do have a vcr next to my blu-ray player (my PS3). And I still have the PS2 hooked up (to a new 40" flatscreen). Backwards compatability just raises the prices of the systems.... if you're whining about not having BC in a system coming out then you obviously HAVE the system to play the older games. Just freaking keep the **bleep** thing. Put it in your closet if there's no room on your entertainment shelf for both, and pull it out when you want to play one of your older games...... and if you do have room on the shelf.... there's these things called HDMI switchers you know? That is if you're too lazy to swap one HDMI cord from the PS3 to the PS4.... Or you could do what I've done for a few things, buy some $2.00 HDMI 1 foot extenders off Amazon and leave them hanging off the back of the TV, makes it easier to plug things in and out. One it saves the original plug on the TV from wear, and two it makes it easier to plug things in since you dont' have to flip the TV almost all the way around to see the plug.

 

As for the original post..... dude you need to learn english. That was one of the most HORRIBLY written things I've ever seen. Read it 4 times still have no clue what the hell you were saying.

 

But ya.... I hope it DOESN"T have BC...... I'd like to be able to afford it at a reasonable price (unlike how the PS3 was at launch, that price was ridiculous, which is why I waited YEARS to get one).


I've played PS and PS2 games back in the day when they were new.  Why would I waste my time playing old games now.


Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 22 of 56 (240 Views)
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

I've played PS and PS2 games back in the day when they were new.  Why would I waste my time playing old games now.


Its called Nostalgia.... 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 23 of 56 (235 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 02/22/2012
Offline
2120 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

I like to be well rounded when playing games. Like playing a ps1 game I always wanted to play over or a ps2 that was so good I want to do it again. Like watching a old movie over that was so good. To do this inbetween the new games is a great gaming experience. Just to be clear I am 55 this year and have been playing games way before sony was even thought about in gaming and still have every system they have made including the psp and vita. So if I wont to play my years worth of game collection again with the ps4 than I need room for my ps2 system because ps3 no longer playes them, my ps3 because ps4 wont play ps3 and a ps4 if I play them. So most of my intertainment system is full of game systems only so I can play all my games I want to play. I think I am out on this one. I have seen gaming declining over the years lately and have heard of a lot of people not being as interested in gaming as they were. I do not think this is the way to bring it back to where it use to be again. 

Happy gaming everyone.

Message 24 of 56 (227 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Limit Breaker
Registered: 10/22/2003
Offline
25346 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

My views on BC for PS4

 

I want it

 

If they don't do it I will still get a PS4 eventually but will not pre-order/buy @ release.  I'll wait to finish my PS3 software.


without BC or at least a 500gig HD i wont be a first day buyer either. first gen HW is always jacked up. look at how many times they changed the PS3. it went from supporting BC to making you re purchase all those games. (this is still a sore subject for me to this day)

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 25 of 56 (215 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 02/22/2012
Offline
2120 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

That was a sore subject for a lot of people in gaming. Many that I have talked to have changed hobbies from gaming to whatever because of it. It has made me want to slow down and think about it and see what happens next also. Like I say, I think I will pass on this one and see what the future brings before I dive in this time. If at all.

Message 26 of 56 (212 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29426 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

fantasyplayer wrote:

That was a sore subject for a lot of people in gaming. Many that I have talked to have changed hobbies from gaming to whatever because of it. It has made me want to slow down and think about it and see what happens next also. Like I say, I think I will pass on this one and see what the future brings before I dive in this time. If at all.


They aren't going to change hobbies. All of these gamers aren't going to suddenly pick up a guitar and learn how to play, because that's far too much work, and they aren't going to start reading. Nothing else provides the instant gratification that video games do, and there aren't very many hobbies that ask you to give as little effort as it does either. You press a button, something happens. You press another button, something else happens. You're essentially ushered from one experience to the next, and you vicariously live out experiences ranging from being a soldier to being a professional athlete, all without ever having to get off the couch. 

Message 27 of 56 (210 Views)
First Son
Registered: 09/28/2012
Offline
22 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

I know I won't be getting PS4 immediately, just because I am just now getting really into PS3. I have lots of old systems and never had a problem hooking them up or wanting to "free up space". Since PS4 isn't BC.... guess that means cheaper PS3 games for me in the long run. Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 56 (203 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 02/22/2012
Offline
2120 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

Hi captain. Just to let you know, I am not talking about people that are going to but people that have already changed hobbies because of it. I know quit a few that I use to play games with that now do not. Most do tablets or smart phones now. They say they always add to and almost never take away. I do not know because I do not have neather. Have been thinking about it lately though. I have been doing this long enough to where I have seen people come and go but lately more go than come. Most say they do not like the way gaming is heading toward. I am still hanging in there for now but starting to wonder myself after the ps3 and psvita. What has to be remembered is this is a hobby not something we need or have or do. So it can be changed with something else that one thinks will be more fun to the person doing it at any time. To me I think they are starting to forget this as they develop each next generation gaming devices. While everything else in eletronics is developing so fast with so many choices. Reguardless of whether they are better or not, lately I have seen more people, even young people playing on tablets and phones than gaming devices. Most people I know eather do not know the ps4 is coming out or do not care. to me it is sad to see gaming dwindle like this because I think it has so much it could offer. But it has to be there for them to offer it and some things are not there to offer. Things that people find in other devices that they like more for now.

Happy Gaming to all. May it go on forever.

Message 29 of 56 (196 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29426 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013

Here's the problem with those people that are saying "I'll quit gaming"; they are narcisitic enough where they think that it begins and ends with them. It doesn't. There will be other people to step in and take their place. There is this thinking in the gaming community of "IT'S ONE WAY AND THAT"S IT!! IT CAN'T BE ANYWAY ELSE". Is that the fault of the developers that the customer base is so fastidious and feels it's so self important that it can't be satisified? I don't think so. Now you have all of these "gamers" who are so opposed to the more social aspects of the new console, they are threatening to quit over that as well. These are empty threats.

 

Again, this is the only hobby that gives you the immediate gratification. Press a button, something happens. Press another button, something else happens. It also asks very little of the user. I say again, they aren't going to pick up a guitar and start playing, and they aren't going to start reading. It's not going to happen.

 

Video games will survive the current generation of users who suddely feel they are the John Galt of the movement. Just as comic books have survived and movies have survived. It may change, but it will carry on.

Message 30 of 56 (192 Views)