Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 12 2014
By: B3GV5M63 Fender Bender 2925 posts

Will the PS4 end with more games than previous generations?

[ Edited ]
20 replies 242 views Edited Jun 12, 2014

so. the PS2 had  10,828 and PS3 was released 6 years later. the PS3 has between 1,000-2,000 games and its lifetime was 2 years longer than the PS2.  PS3 had so little first party games. we missed many games like Jak and Daxter and few of these just died last gen. 

what you you guys think of the PS4. will it have more games. or less? because so far. not many games are being released really. most of are multiplats. back in the PS2 days. many games were exclusives and 1st party titles. hoefully that comes back to the PS4 because last gen was a flop if you ask me.

Mod Edit: Removed "Games and Platforms" label, added "Debate and Opinion". Edited title from "Games." for clarity. -- XiomaraRose

Message 1 of 21 (242 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11176 posts

Re: Games.

Jun 12, 2014

Problem is that it's a bit less common if a third-party goes exclusive these days as they once did. It's been said in the past that the future for video games is that we'll see more multiplatform titles along the way. This means instead of a company like Capcom bringing Resident Evil Code: Veronica X to PlayStation 2, then the Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0 to the GameCube exclusively (at the time anyway) you now see Capcom bringing Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 to both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 all at the same time.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but it's doubtful that there were more than 10,000 PlayStation 2 games released in North America alone. Maybe there were that many games spread across different territories? Japan usually sees its own set of games that are never brought outside the region. There are of course those that are, and at times this can be a good thing. In the past though there have definitely been some games I wish stayed over there (as I'm sure others feel the same way about certain games from other regions they don't like). From Katamari Damacy to the Persona series, these are PlayStation 2 series I wouldn't have been upset if Japan just held onto them forever.

We're definitely getting less games though in comparison through the generations. When PlayStation 2 launched in its first year here's a list of the many titles I remember having bought and played from October 2000-2001:

Summoner

Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore

Armored Core 2

Armored Core 2: Another Age

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X

Devil's May Cry

Grand Theft Auto III

Midnight Club: Street Racing

Smuggler's Run

Oni

Onimusha: Warlords

Shadow of Destiny

Silent Hill 2

Zone of the Enders

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

Dark Cloud

Quake III

Red Faction

Rune: Viking Warlord

Extermination

Here's the list of PlayStation 3 I can remember buying in the first year from November 2006-November 2007:

Heavenly Sword

Resistance: Fall of Man

MotorStorm

Virtua Fighter 5

Armored Core 4

Warhawk

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Super Stardust HD

Calling All Cars!

Piyotama

Mortal Kombat II

As for PlayStation 4, here's what's been on my shopping list so far in the first year:

Knack

Killzone: Shadow Fall

There definitely needs to be more games out there that are of major interest, and there really isn't a whole lot of variety at the moment or what looks to be in the coming future. When looking at the months ahead you have LittleBigPlanet 3 that was just announced, itself being from a franchise that already exists. But, it's sort of odd that you have this one game that is naturally not strapped in with mature themes, and then you have all the rest. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, Bloodborne, Dead Island 2, The Order: 1886, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Last of Us: Remastered, Evolve, The Evil Within, and even Batman: Arkham Knight. The list goes on. The genres may not all be the same, but it's almost as if developers aren't diversifying themselves enough. They believe they have to cater to the shooter crowds, since that's where money goes. But did they ever stop to think that if they took a chance and made something other than a shooter (or something not so dark) that people would pay money for it? Pac-Man made tons of money back in the day, just as it still does. Space Invaders and Asteroids weren't the only cabinets. From Bubble Bobble to the virtual reality simulators, there was quite a bit of different games at one point that you could spend your tokens on.

Message 2 of 21 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6096 posts

Re: Will the PS4 end with more games than previous generations?

Jun 12, 2014

There are currently 795 PS3 retail (disc) games (multi-platform: 635; exclusive: 150; console exclusive: 10) as of August 18, 2013. And there are 2,083 PS3 games in the Playstation Store as of June 12, 2014.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_gamesThe more you know

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 21 (214 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
952 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

There definitely needs to be more games out there that are of major interest, and there really isn't a whole lot of variety at the moment or what looks to be in the coming future. When looking at the months ahead you have LittleBigPlanet 3 that was just announced, itself being from a franchise that already exists. But, it's sort of odd that you have this one game that is naturally not strapped in with mature themes, and then you have all the rest. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, Bloodborne, Dead Island 2, The Order: 1886, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Last of Us: Remastered, Evolve, The Evil Within, and even Batman: Arkham Knight. The list goes on. The genres may not all be the same, but it's almost as if developers aren't diversifying themselves enough. They believe they have to cater to the shooter crowds, since that's where money goes. But did they ever stop to think that if they took a chance and made something other than a shooter (or something not so dark) that people would pay money for it? Pac-Man made tons of money back in the day, just as it still does. Space Invaders and Asteroids weren't the only cabinets. From Bubble Bobble to the virtual reality simulators, there was quite a bit of different games at one point that you could spend your tokens on.

Basically, everyone wants to make money like Call of Duty. But tell me, if there's other genres that America/The west, what are they exactly?

I agree with you that a market exists, but I'm evaluating the market myself. What exactly does it seem people want?

RPGs? Non-Sumulation Racing games? For fun/Eastern RPGs? "Innovation" concepts? (Difficult, but possible). Half-VNs like Walking Dead? Heavy-Rain style games? More unique ideas like Ookami? Animal-Crossing esque games?

What have you noticed?

Message 4 of 21 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3370 posts

Jun 12, 2014

ShadowCrossXIV wrote:

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Basically, everyone wants to make money like Call of Duty. But tell me, if there's other genres that America/The west, what are they exactly?

I agree with you that a market exists, but I'm evaluating the market myself. What exactly does it seem people want?

RPGs? Non-Sumulation Racing games? For fun/Eastern RPGs? "Innovation" concepts? (Difficult, but possible). Half-VNs like Walking Dead? Heavy-Rain style games? More unique ideas like Ookami? Animal-Crossing esque games?

What have you noticed?

Shooters are a big deal to these people, and for the likes of me I don't understand why either.  And you're right:  There is no variety at the present time.  We get shooters and Indie's, and that's why my PS4 is going right back in its box later on this afternoon and being stored away until better times.  With essentially little to offer, it's pointless to keep it hooked up at the moment.  

Conservative by choice.
Southern by the Grace of God !
Message 5 of 21 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4924 posts

Jun 12, 2014

B3GV5M63 wrote:

so. the PS2 had  10,828 and PS3 was released 6 years later. the PS3 has between 1,000-2,000 games and its lifetime was 2 years longer than the PS2.  PS3 had so little first party games. we missed many games like Jak and Daxter and few of these just died last gen. 

what you you guys think of the PS4. will it have more games. or less? because so far. not many games are being released really. most of are multiplats. back in the PS2 days. many games were exclusives and 1st party titles. hoefully that comes back to the PS4 because last gen was a flop if you ask me.

Mod Edit: Removed "Games and Platforms" label, added "Debate and Opinion". Edited title from "Games." for clarity. -- XiomaraRose

you have to remember, games keep getting bigger and bigger as tech moves forward. just the introduction of the blu-ray with the ps3 allowed games to increase in size 5-10 times over a dvd. couple that with better, faster processors that can process/render that much data, that much faster and you get what we're getting now.

the trade-off is longer wait times between games, as now AAA gamers can take upwards of 2+ years, some even longer to make, but the games, typically, are a lot bigger in breadth and scope than in previous gens.

now, before someone says, "no, games aren't as big/long as they used to be", that's true in some cases, but then you have to take into consideration the amount of data that these better graphics/audio take up, along with online/social features that we didn't have before, which all take up coding space in the game as well. 

Message 6 of 21 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3370 posts

Jun 12, 2014

ctfw529 wrote:

B3GV5M63 wrote:

you have to remember, games keep getting bigger and bigger as tech moves forward. just the introduction of the blu-ray with the ps3 allowed games to increase in size 5-10 times over a dvd. couple that with better, faster processors that can process/render that much data, that much faster and you get what we're getting now.

the trade-off is longer wait times between games, as now AAA gamers can take upwards of 2+ years, some even longer to make, but the games, typically, are a lot bigger in breadth and scope than in previous gens.

now, before someone says, "no, games aren't as big/long as they used to be", that's true in some cases, but then you have to take into consideration the amount of data that these better graphics/audio take up, along with online/social features that we didn't have before, which all take up coding space in the game as well. 

Games are definately getting better looking, but I definately wouldn't say games are bigger and better.  I see your points on the data and graphics you mentioned, but I'd rather play a multi-disc CD that has some actual gameplay than a DVD that offers me 3 days worth of gameplay and that's pretty much it.  Downloaded games aren't any better either. 

Consider this: 

For 3 discs, FF7 took the average gamer 2-3 months to beat, but FF 13 took a whole 3-4 days.  Pretty graphics look nice, but they don't make a great game.  

Conservative by choice.
Southern by the Grace of God !
Message 7 of 21 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4924 posts

Jun 12, 2014

shadoefax wrote:

Games are definately getting better looking, but I definately wouldn't say games are bigger and better.  I see your points on the data and graphics you mentioned, but I'd rather play a multi-disc CD that has some actual gameplay than a DVD that offers me 3 days worth of gameplay and that's pretty much it.  Downloaded games aren't any better either. 

Consider this: 

For 3 discs, FF7 took the average gamer 2-3 months to beat, but FF 13 took a whole 3-4 days.  Pretty graphics look nice, but they don't make a great game.  

i've seen you, and others, make this argument before, and i don't agree with it, not in a negative way, i just don't agree. 

there are many games out right now, and being made, that have plenty of replay/time value to them. the issue i see is that people just want to zip through the campaign, without going after all of the hidden stuff/extras that are all over the place. i'm more referencing sandbox games. for example, i just finished the campaign on Arkham City, yet i'm only at, around 40%, done with the game. now, games like FF, i can't really comment on, since i've never been able to get into RPGs and the other variations of that genre. i just know, for me, and the games i enjoy playing, i've never been happier, and that's with starting off on a 2600 around 1985 or so.

now, some people don't want/care about trophies and hunting all of that stuff down. ok, if that's their deal, then cool, but they don't really have the right to say that it's an issue, if they're not gonna bother doing everything that's offered. 

idk, maybe it's because i'm older now, but if i was to beat a game, to completion, like arkham city, or TR, WD, etc. in 3 days, i'd think i'd need to get out more. my game tastes are all over the place, i also enjoy COD, less so these days, but i still enjoy it when friends come over and i always play through the campaigns. i also always play all of my games on the hardest difficulty offered. even with CODs linear, non-sandbox, campaign, it still takes me 25-30 hours, to finish, find all the intel and such, and be completely done with those campaigns. i also stretch those hours out over multiple days as i usually have multiple games going at once, and all of my adult life stuff to take care of as well.

Message 8 of 21 (184 Views)
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Jun 12, 2014

Ok I agree here I enjoy alot of the sandbox games like Infamous second son, but I also am a huge fan of games that made you plan and think like the PS2 Final Fantasy games. What is stopping game developers from making a long RPG type game that uses more then one Blu-ray disc? Is it a principles thing (do they think people will not buy it), is it a hardware thing (PS4 is not capable of disc switching?) or is it just because today's gaming society is one that sadly focuses around the modern day teenager with the attention span of a nat?

When I was a teen games were more an time investment and required some time to complete, Now days in the time of iPhones and Android devices (love both by the way) kids grow up getting used to their attention being split between multiple things at once so a game like inFamous Second Son or GTA appeals to them because they can litteraly vere from the main story at will where traditional RPG and jRPG style games were more on rails in terms of progression.

My Point is (sorry went off on a tangent) that today we have so many factors to go into determining why developers choose to do certains styles of games, and determining if its feasible to take more risks to produce huge games (yes FF7 was a risk as it was one of the first PS2 games to have more then 2 discs in the US) that cater to a honestly (sad but true) aging and slowly dwindleing PS2 erra gaming growd (I say this being one in this category being 35 and all).

Message 9 of 21 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4924 posts

Jun 12, 2014

adromidon wrote:

Ok I agree here I enjoy alot of the sandbox games like Infamous second son, but I also am a huge fan of games that made you plan and think like the PS2 Final Fantasy games. What is stopping game developers from making a long RPG type game that uses more then one Blu-ray disc? Is it a principles thing (do they think people will not buy it), is it a hardware thing (PS4 is not capable of disc switching?) or is it just because today's gaming society is one that sadly focuses around the modern day teenager with the attention span of a nat?

When I was a teen games were more an time investment and required some time to complete, Now days in the time of iPhones and Android devices (love both by the way) kids grow up getting used to their attention being split between multiple things at once so a game like inFamous Second Son or GTA appeals to them because they can litteraly vere from the main story at will where traditional RPG and jRPG style games were more on rails in terms of progression.

My Point is (sorry went off on a tangent) that today we have so many factors to go into determining why developers choose to do certains styles of games, and determining if its feasible to take more risks to produce huge games (yes FF7 was a risk as it was one of the first PS2 games to have more then 2 discs in the US) that cater to a honestly (sad but true) aging and slowly dwindleing PS2 erra gaming growd (I say this being one in this category being 35 and all).

nothing. certainly not technical reasons. i agree with most of your points above about attention spans and such, and i think that's a big part where the issue lies.

developers, and more importantly for the devs, the publishers look at numbers. basically sales. it's the same across the board, in any industry, if a product doesn't sell well, there's not much incentive to do it again. just going by this list, you can see the sales numbers for FF have steadily dropped over the years --> http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

not by a lot on a couple offerings, moreso on other FF variations. whatever the reasons are, it's simply not selling as well as it used to. this makes publishers nervous, this makes them not invest as much initial capital into the game upfront causing the devs to have to make cuts/sacrifices to their vision of what they want the game to be.

with games costing upwards of 30-40 million to create, you can start to see why risks aren't taken as much anymore. we lose around 10 dev houses every year now, for various reasons, but the most prevalent reason is lack of return on previous products. whether that product was any good or not, that's on them of course, but the principle is still the same.

then, couple all of that with the length of time it takes to creat these newer games and we get less games, hence the rise of the indies again, but then  you have people that refuse to play those, simply because they have the word "indie" attached to them, then compare them to "atari" games simply because they've trained themselves to have expectations, that realistically, these devs/pubs cannot meet. at least, not without putting themselves at risk of going out of business. hell, even if you make a great game these days, you'll still have people that aren't satisfied and want more, more, more...

to many people these days want to many things, without thinking of the business side of things, and what it takes to get this stuff out to us. 

btw, that last line was not directed to you.

Message 10 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes