May 31 2012
By: NinjaPigs First Son 9 posts

Will this really happen with PlayStation 4?

7 replies 60 views Edited May 31, 2012

First off, I want to note that I have no idea where this discussion goes (since it is about a future product). Another reason I am creating this discussion is that there is nothing about it anywhere else.

Now, off we go, this is about the next Sony console, PlayStation 4. I have heard information around that is quite shocking and want to know if it is true or not. As we all know, there are quite a few games from PlayStation 1 to PlayStation 3, each system able to do things others can't. Among them is backwards compatability, PS1 had nothing since it was the first system in the series. PlayStation 2 allowed PS1 and PS2 games to be played on it. PlayStation 3 was the first controversial system around. When first released, it could only do 80% of PlayStation 2 and all of PlayStation 1, at upgrade you could play 90% of PlayStation 2 games. When PlayStation Slim came out, it no longer had compatability with PlayStation 2 games (unless they were remade for the PS3). Now, the PlayStation 4 will be the most controversial game ever, it will not allow backwards compatability with any of the previous systems. This includes from PlayStation 1 - PlayStation 3, which will be hard press for the console to succeed.

Now the next issue is buying used games. We could buy used games for any console, this made us pay less money for great games. With the PlayStation 4, this will possibly become nearly obsolete. The reason for this is all PlayStation 4 games will now be attached to your PSN account, thus only allowing you to play the game. However, one can still buy used PlayStation 4 games, with a catch. This catch is the fact you won't be able to play the full game until you unlock all the features and sync it to your game. To do this, you have to pay for an unlock.

Now, I am not sure how all this will play out, but I am asking people if they know of this or if Sony will say anything about the issue. Since these details will make a lot of gamers frustrated with Sony.

Thanks for your time in reading this, bye all.

Message 1 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6508 posts

Re: Will this really happen with PlayStation 4?

May 31, 2012

All speculation, no facts.

Message 2 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
26179 posts

May 31, 2012

You know what they say about rumors; trace it back to the source, and then laugh it off.

Message 3 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 1, 2012

Honestly, even if this is true (which I hope it isn't), I am still going to be keeping my PlayStation 3. Also, among the rumors floating around, the PlayStation 4 won't have an actual hard drive. All your games and information will be stored on a figuative cloud (like how computers have it). It would be similiar to how PSN subscribers can store there games saves on a virtual machine.

Message 4 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jun 11, 2012

Honestly, this will probably not happen. It would probably be the dumbest thing for Sony to do. And I could go on and on but the truth of the matter is: Don't even worry about it man, it's just rumors. Sony knows it would be dumb to do that so I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 5 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Jun 11, 2012

I honestly don't understand what is the point of backwards compatibility being a huge deal. If you have the games then most likely you have a system that can play them. The only thing that can happen is your system dies, which would be annoying, but that's about it. My PS2, PS, Gamecube, and OG Xbox still work so backwards so it isn't an issue for me.

The part about used games would be lame, but I have heard about game developers being mad about used game retailers like Gamestop/Ebgames and others. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this, but if they decided to add that to the PS4 there wouldn't be much we can do about it.

Message 6 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16065 posts

Jun 11, 2012

If Sony hasn't said anything, then dont believe a word. NEVER believe a rumor, unless its the OFFICIAL statements from Sony

too many people get caught up in the hype so much so, that they start to believe its truth.....

Much in like the same way about these "zombie" attacks...... truth be told..... every single incident happened YEARS apart. Its simply the idiots who have nothing better to do in their cubicle, so they dig up old articles and rename them to make them relevant and hope they dont see the date and time stamp.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 7 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Jun 12, 2012

it could happen, never heard this myself, but, honestly, it could be possible. there "are" rumors that the new xbox system will, or actually, "won't" have a disc drive, all games will be downloaded only. which could also be true considering there push for downloadable content.

I'm pretty sure the game devs would fully support this. just as arcapers stated, there are a lot of devs who are angry with EBgames/gamestop for buying and selling used games. it would be nice if we were able to, maybe, sell the license, to another game user, for a certain price, where a portion of the purchase would also go to the game dev. understand what i mean??

we purchase a game for $60, synch it to our ID, then when done with game, are able to sell the license or whatever to another PSN ID user, for a lower price, let's say $40, and the original owner would get a certain percent of sale, (lets say $15-$20) and the rest would go to the game dev. that is just an example of the idea.

this way, the game dev wouldn't really lose out (at least, not as much with ebgames/gamestop) on the money from reselling their titles.

if not, then they should make the game disc free, but limited in playability, like a demo, then u have to purchase it thru PSN (similar to PSN arcade games) in order to fully unlock the game and sync it to your user ID.

Message 8 of 8 (60 Views)
0 Likes