Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jul 25 2012
By: u2vini Splicer 90 posts
Offline

Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

15 replies 250 views Edited Jul 25, 2012

Hello all,

 

Not sure where to put this, so here i go on General :smileyhappy:

 

I like watching bluray movies  and play from time to time... so mainly movies is what im doing right now AND going with my regular speakers is not an option today, i need headsets.

 

I was looking into some Wireless Headset and i saw the PS3 "Wireless Stereo Headset". So before i go ahead and buy it i thought asking here for some impressions and advice.


Are the official ones 7.1 virtual in movies? i read somewhere they are not, but then i saw the latest firmware saying something about adding it to movies? (i could be wrong).

 

Should i go somewhere else or this are enough for the money?


Any comments would be appreciated!

 

Cheers,

Vini

Message 1 of 16 (250 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 10/30/2007
Offline
29 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 25, 2012

It is a good headset although id say if you do have the money go find a good wired headset, since i don't know about everyone else but i find that due to the bluetooth signal your ears get very hot after long use which can get rather irritating. But its not half bad

Message 2 of 16 (248 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 07/25/2012
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 25, 2012

Hm, well it depends, if u like ear peices, then get a sony bluetooth  headset , if u also like cheap ones, get that 2! plus if low on charge, then u can use it as a table micro phone, plus u can mute it, it also bllock other un wanted sounds so u can speak and be heard, u can all so change how your voice sonds. Was this helpful?

Message 3 of 16 (239 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
15656 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 25, 2012

Drop_The_Bomb wrote:

It is a good headset although id say if you do have the money go find a good wired headset, since i don't know about everyone else but i find that due to the bluetooth signal your ears get very hot after long use which can get rather irritating. But its not half bad


Bluetooth or being wireless has nothing to do with the temperature of your ears...... thats due to the fact you wear something long enough, that area is going to get a bit warm, why do you think your body gets warm when you're under a blanket?..... your ears actually radiate a large amount of heat.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 4 of 16 (237 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 08/02/2008
Offline
90 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2012

Thank you all for your inputs.

 

I do not like earpieces, in particular i like big headsets because the audio generally speaking is better. Bass feels lowers and well.. i dont mind the bulk or the "heat".

 

I own a 5.1 turtlebeach for my PC that i cannot use on the PS3 (it comes with all 3 plugs, etc..), and i love it... and my first option was to actually go with them, but i kind of like the "practicity" of this PS3 headset. And the fact is wireless and 7.1? the price is good, obviously if the device is good (which i dont know).

 

I could always try it and return it if not, but thought about saving myself the hassle and time :smileyhappy:

 

Do you guys know is sound quality and ergonomics are good? is the 7.1 working on bluray movies?

Message 5 of 16 (234 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 09/17/2007
Offline
8173 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 26, 2012

I use the Turtle Beach PX21. It's not a surround sound headset but offers great sound quality, comfort and discreet controls for game audio, mic, chat, bass and a few other options. For the sub-$100 range headset it's a good deal. Plus it's compatible with my PC & X360 so no need for multiple headsets. 

 

I would recommend shopping around on Amazon and reading some reviews there. If you're set on a 5.1 or better headset Turtle Beach has some nice sets. 

Message 6 of 16 (228 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 09/05/2005
Online
2499 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 26, 2012
I have the official wireless PlayStation headset and they are great. Recent update now supports virtual 7.1 surround sound for movies, not just games. Personally, I'm waiting for the new official wired headset to also use with my PS Vita.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 7 of 16 (224 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 10/30/2007
Offline
29 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 26, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Drop_The_Bomb wrote:

It is a good headset although id say if you do have the money go find a good wired headset, since i don't know about everyone else but i find that due to the bluetooth signal your ears get very hot after long use which can get rather irritating. But its not half bad


Bluetooth or being wireless has nothing to do with the temperature of your ears...... thats due to the fact you wear something long enough, that area is going to get a bit warm, why do you think your body gets warm when you're under a blanket?..... your ears actually radiate a large amount of heat.


well the thing is my friends dont complain about their ears being hot after prolonged use with their headset ( Astro A40), also from my knowledge bluetooth is a form of microwave which does infact heat htings up with exposure.....i dunno maybe i just have sensitive ears lol

Message 8 of 16 (221 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
15656 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

Jul 26, 2012

Drop_The_Bomb wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Drop_The_Bomb wrote:

It is a good headset although id say if you do have the money go find a good wired headset, since i don't know about everyone else but i find that due to the bluetooth signal your ears get very hot after long use which can get rather irritating. But its not half bad


Bluetooth or being wireless has nothing to do with the temperature of your ears...... thats due to the fact you wear something long enough, that area is going to get a bit warm, why do you think your body gets warm when you're under a blanket?..... your ears actually radiate a large amount of heat.


well the thing is my friends dont complain about their ears being hot after prolonged use with their headset ( Astro A40), also from my knowledge bluetooth is a form of microwave which does infact heat htings up with exposure.....i dunno maybe i just have sensitive ears lol


Bluetooth uses a radiowave transmission of a very narrow frequency to create a PAN or personal area network for short range communication with enabled devices..... if any device actually used microwave transmissions, you'd cook yourself from the inside. Look up the militarys riot control "death ray"

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 9 of 16 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
Registered: 04/20/2009
Offline
2875 posts
 

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset or should i go with something else?

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2012

Though I have a pair of A40s (AstroGaming) I really don't like them and their mess of wires and mic that, while clear, makes me sound like I'm 20 feet away (that weird distant sound). I ended up giving them away and have fallen in love with my PlayStation headphones. 

 

Here's the original announcement on them (video is a good overview)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/12/ps3-wireless-stereo-headset-available-now-take-the-tour/

 

though I'm really excited to check out the new Pulse headsets that are coming out:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/01/introducing-the-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset-elite-editio...

 

I've not gotten to try the new ones out while gaming, but I have had the chance to wear them—they're light, look even sleeker than the originals, and even better sound.

 

Granted, I'm biased working for PlayStation, but I'm also a bit of a tech snob and admittedly so. That said, I am still loving my PS headsets and plan to keep using them (though the new ones are very tempting... I'll have to wait till they come out to decide).

 

 

P.S. Neither of these PlayStation headsets use Bluetooth—that doesn't offer enough bandwidth to offer more than cruddy stereo, much less 7.1 surround sound. They use a radio frequency and send the data from a nice little dongle. The install for the headsets takes literally 2 seconds (plug in dongle, turn on headsets). Boom. It works.

 

P.S.S. I use the PS headsets for interviews too—surprisingly, I just plug the dongle into my Mac USB port and suddenly, I have a full headset and mic working. Some computers might require going into the sound/mic settings to select it, but man, they're great. That was a big bonus for me.

Message 10 of 16 (208 Views)
Reply
0 Likes