Sackboy
573 posts

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Feb 24, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

" Even after the PS4 is released, your PS3 will still work"

you know what you're right, and thats a great case for not even bothering with the PS4 at all.

thank you for the insight!

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 31 of 208 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Feb 24, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

IvanDoomer wrote:

Sony failed badly. =/

Doesn't sound like a failure on Sony's part.  Even after the PS4 is released, your PS3 will still work (as long as you take care of it, that is).

A Sony failure would be if the PS3 immediately stopped working upon release of the PS4 (did the PS2 stop working when the PS3 came out?  No, it didn't - in fact, the PS2 was just discontinued last month, nearly 7 years after the release of the PS3).  The PS3 will receive support for at least another five or six years.

If you have that much invested in your PS3, you will find a way to make having an extra console work.

No, all it is telling me is not to buy Sony consoles anymore because they won't continue to support them into the future anymore.  Thus no need for an extra console.  Considering Sony hyped the PS3 with those features in order to sell them, and then completely did a 180 on those above quotes and that mentality, only to resell you your past games, tells me not to listen to anything they say anymore (remember the PSPGo and the "we're looking into ways to transfer your existing library...").  I may as well not bother with this generation at all, considering there is nothing worth buying the new console for thus far.

Message 32 of 208 (178 Views)
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Feb 24, 2013

YES, I would pay extra for BC, Id rather reduce the number of consoles I own from 3 to 2.

Either way though, Ill buy the PS4.

Message 33 of 208 (175 Views)
MVP Support
11001 posts

Feb 24, 2013

Lord_Jaroh wrote:

No, all it is telling me is not to buy Sony consoles anymore because they won't continue to support them into the future anymore.  Thus no need for an extra console.  Considering Sony hyped the PS3 with those features in order to sell them, and then completely did a 180 on those above quotes and that mentality, only to resell you your past games, tells me not to listen to anything they say anymore (remember the PSPGo and the "we're looking into ways to transfer your existing library...").  I may as well not bother with this generation at all, considering there is nothing worth buying the new console for thus far.

Because games you bought 15 years ago for Windows 98, still work in Windows 7/8, right?  (They don't)

Technology keeps moving forward, and sometimes, for a computer (or a gaming console) that means that the major components have to change (since there has not been a new Cell BBE released since 2008 - and I don't think IBM is even working on one).  If Sony would have stayed with the Cell, Sony would have just announced the PS3.1.  Same console with more RAM or whatnot. Graphics would not see ANY advancement.

People think that $100 more would be more than enough to cover a PS4 that is backward compatible, when in actuality, it would probably be closer to $250-300 (which, if the base PS4 is $450, the B/C model would be $700 or more).  It's not just the Cell that would need to be included in the PS4 (as well as the PS4 hardware), they would need to add a lot of extra cooling (since the Cell runs extremely HOT compared to x86 processors, which tend to run hot on their own).  It would likely need to be liquid cooled, which would actually cost more than including a Cell.

Basically, a standard PS4 is going to have 3 sources of heat.  The x86, the GPU and the memory (GDDR5 also runs hot).  If you throw a Cell and a PS3 GPU into the mix without an extra cooling system, you are looking at a potential meltdown as soon as you fire up a game of CoD.

As I have stated, if you have a vast library of PS3 games, keep your PS3.

Message 34 of 208 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Feb 24, 2013
No I wouldn't like I said in the BC thread on this forum. Even if it was 25-50 dollars more cause use that money to buy some great used games for my PS3
Message 35 of 208 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2189 posts

Feb 24, 2013

Nope.

Backwards compatibility is a total non-issue for me.  As some have touched upon in previous posts in this thread, if I want to play a PS3 game I'll use my PS3. 

Message 36 of 208 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1576 posts

Feb 24, 2013

I really have no desire to play this gen games on my next-gen console. Also, I don't plan on selling my PS3 anytime soon, so if I need to access to the old library to play a specific game I'll just fire it up and play it there.

Message 37 of 208 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Feb 24, 2013

Absolutely I'd pay an extra $100.00 ! But if the PS4 doesn't have this & I can't play my PS3 PSN Store Games on PS4, I think I may just  stop gaming altogether!

"Don't ripp off the people who pay the bills"

Message 38 of 208 (149 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
638 posts

Feb 24, 2013

honestly speaking, I don't want to pay more just for bc feature. In the past, bc was everything for me. In recently, I can tolerate any consoles without bc feature. 

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 39 of 208 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2275 posts

Feb 24, 2013

No i would not want to pay more this happend when i bought launch 60 gb model it was one of the best models out there lasted me 5 years then it broke but launch ps4 i would buy but then they are going to add better stuff on it so i think im going to wait on it for a while

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 40 of 208 (203 Views)
0 Likes