Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 17, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Yeah, you do have a point. I do have a question though. Since the PS4 is using X86 hardware: do you think backwards compatibility would be more possible with future PlayStation consoles? I heard X86 hardware is easier to emulate. Is it?

Yes, I imagine going forward, it would be much easier for the next generation (eg PS5) to be backward compatible as long as the next generation retains the x86/x64 hardware of the coming generation.  Much like PC software continues to run if you upgrade to the next generation of processor/GPU.  I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3.  Yes, it was cutting edge at the time and all that, but it's just not worth it in the long run (hence the fact they are abandoning the technology with the PS4).

That's good to hear! :smileyhappy:

I agree, using the Cell processor was a huge mistake.

Message 81 of 208 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
551 posts

Mar 17, 2013

gojeff99 wrote:

If you want B/C so bad why not go this route?  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009DYE3JI/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_iJErrb1C5QCZY

Includes: 250GB PS3 System, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, the Ratchet and Clank Collection and Media/Blue-Ray Disc Remote Control all for $250

Bam new PS3, super slim uses less electricity then the older PS3's and its super small to fit anywhere it takes up what the room of 4 game case's?

I'm assuming most people wanting backward-compatibility currently own a PS3, and are wanting to free up shelf space.

Message 82 of 208 (127 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3295 posts

Mar 17, 2013

...and the resident Sony fanboys who blindly defend everything that Sony does come out of the woodwork. I guess I'm crazy for not wanting to have four different consoles. Yes, I would pay more for a backwards compatible PS4.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
2,000+ followers | 125+ subscribers
Message 83 of 208 (123 Views)
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 17, 2013

yes i would pay a higher price even higher than that but the problem its not just the hardware it is a better business model to force people into buying PS4 games and stop buying PS3 games

alot of games are gonna come out in both consoles probably for atleast a couple of years what i hope for its a BC update once everybody starts buying more PS4 games than PS3 games

Message 84 of 208 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

ElektroDragon wrote:

YES.  I would easily pay more for a backwards compatible PS3.  Up to $200 more.  My 2007 fat model is on its last legs I think.  It won't last forever, and when it dies, I don't want to have to buy one of the new plasticy units designed by a shower radio enthusiast.

Outrageousness, wowsers,  just keep ps3 and stop there.  it will save you lots of money.  Buy a PC Kit build a beast and you wont have to worry about it for 24 years depending on how much you spend.  Windows as far as i can tell has backwards compatibility with all games even back to 95.  Just left click on the game installed and properties and play it in 95 mode.

If its the trophys dont concern yourself with them noone really cares.  If they do just load up your PC save and show them that you 100% the game.  Noone cares,honestly.  Maybe kids do but no adults do.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 85 of 208 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10062 posts

Mar 17, 2013
@Icestar10. I would like to add that releasing a higher priced sku of anything could result in the same exact fanboyism we saw from professional critics who slammed the PS3. If you read the critic reviews is 2006, you wouldn't even know a 500.00 console existed and even the ones who made mention of if conveniently left out the fact that it was only 30.00 more expensive than the premium Xbox 360 sku after you factored in the cost of 1 year of Xbox Live and a Play & Charge adaptor to power the controller. They also left out the fact that any additional 360 wireless controller would cost you 80.00 if you wanted plug & play recharge options like the PS3 has always had.

As for YLOD? You guys say you would pay more and have fear that your current PS3 could die. Now of course the PS3 is not going to remain the same price when the PS4 releases and so far the release of a new console has always meant a last gen price drop, two new generations in a row.

You also have to wonder why some people get the YLOD in the first place. People want their console to do everything and as a result, they are running them for extremely extended periods. I don't even use my consoles for media because not only is a Roku Box better, I'm not running my console 20 hours a day. Same can be true with backwards compatability. Use a PS3 for PS3 games instead of a PS4 and your PS4 very well could last a lot longer.

@Semajmarc. Who is running 4 consoles? You would only need two. Now what would you rather have? A true next gen gaming console that outperforms the competition or a Swiss Army knife trying to do too many things inferiorly?
Message 86 of 208 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Mar 17, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Yeah, you do have a point. I do have a question though. Since the PS4 is using X86 hardware: do you think backwards compatibility would be more possible with future PlayStation consoles? I heard X86 hardware is easier to emulate. Is it?

Yes, I imagine going forward, it would be much easier for the next generation (eg PS5) to be backward compatible as long as the next generation retains the x86/x64 hardware of the coming generation.  Much like PC software continues to run if you upgrade to the next generation of processor/GPU.  I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3.  Yes, it was cutting edge at the time and all that, but it's just not worth it in the long run (hence the fact they are abandoning the technology with the PS4).

They are abandoning it cause they arent selling games nor consoles like they was, it has nuthing to do with the technology or maybe some considering 360 games and consoles still sell?

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 87 of 208 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
879 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Short answer: yes yes and yes

Message 88 of 208 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

Go to tiger direct and or Newegg get the cheapest prices in the range of the 600 buck ps4.  750 bucks and that thing will still have stats that it takes up to ps6 to catch up with its a fact.  If not ps7?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5643744&csid=_22 look at this one.  this is better then ps4 ill almost bet.  Is this one better then PS4?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7375886&csid=_61

lol, according to Grey and You probably not but to me it looks alot better.  Im no computer genius or nuthing but, i think id buy it over a ps4 and hook this up to my tv instead.

BBurgSteve wrote:

TheDster wrote:

I heard ps4 was going to be much money and really what for considering a awesome pc that will last two console lifetimes if not more with its stats would cost 1k to build, it would probably last 4 console lifetimes depending on the Graphic card you slap in it.  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7487099&CatId=4534

Would you quit with the 20+ year lifespan of a PC?  It absolutely will not happen.  The CPU in a PC is pretty much the limiting factor, and those have about a 3-4 year lifespan before the next generation makes it obsolete.  Yes, you can upgrade other parts to try to make it last into the next generation, but eventually, you need to upgrade the CPU, as well, and that makes your computer no longer 'old'.

Yes, you can build a computer today that will last maybe 7 or 8 years, but it will cost a lot more than $1,000:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 x8 - $199.99

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V 990x AM3+ - $219.99

Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 32GB (4x8GB) - $239.99

Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 1050W - $209.99

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D - $179.99

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB GDDR5 (x3/SLI) - $3,209.97

HDD: WD 30EFRX Red 3TB (x2/RAID) - $379.98

Boot Drive: Corsair Neutron SSD 120GB - $129.99

Optical Drive: LG 16x Blu-ray Writer - $119.99

Miscellaneous (Fans, Cables, Mounting hardware, etc) - $100

And your 7-8 year PC will run you --- $4,989.88.  And note that this does not include keyboard, mouse, monitor(s), etc.

Sounds like quite the bargain, doesn't it?

Message 89 of 208 (86 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8948 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

TheDster wrote:

Go to tiger direct and or Newegg get the cheapest prices in the range of the 600 buck ps4.  750 bucks and that thing will still have stats that it takes up to ps6 to catch up with its a fact.  If not ps7?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5643744&csid=_22 look at this one.  this is better then ps4 ill almost bet.  Is this one better then PS4?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7375886&csid=_61

lol, according to Grey and You probably not but to me it looks alot better.  Im no computer genius or nuthing but, i think id buy it over a ps4 and hook this up to my tv instead.

Meh.  The first link is a Motherboard and CPU package (not a full kit).  The second one will keep you current for a couple of years.  Even as is, you'll have a hard time playing Crysis 3 or Bioshock Infinite at max settings.  In fact, you won't be able to.  You'll need an upgraded GPU for that (and at $600+, you are already in excess of what the PS4 will cost).  But it will have no problem playing the 10 and 12 year old games you seem to be most interested in.

Message 90 of 208 (186 Views)
0 Likes