Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Splicer
Registered: 12/23/2007
Offline
81 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 23, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
So you are saying that running a console about 140 hours a week, almost 365 days a year is healthy for it?

I'm saying it's healthier than turning it on and off multiple times a day. The "competitors" system had a high failure rate because of it's inability to withstand the constant heat fluxuation. If you plan on playing/using the console alot in the day, yes it's healthier for it to just get left on. Lead-free solder is horrible for it's melting point. It's set for flowing in the initial application. The lower the heat when initially applied, the lower the reflow temp. It is more brittle if set at a lower temp initially, usually when baked in an oven with pre assembled boards like most Chinese manufaturing plants do. Therefore constant heat variance can cause more harm due to the warping of the motherboard due to heat fluxuation when the system heats and cools multiple times over the course of a day. Leaving it on would be better for it.


The Better Fanboy Check Test -- Create and Take a Fun Test @ NerdTests.com's User Tests!
Message 201 of 208 (5,000 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 01/05/2006
Online
9780 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 23, 2013
Ok. That makes sense but I still feel that if I'm going to do something like play FF13 for a week, I would rather put the wear & tear in the PS3 during that time. If I'm going to leave Netflix running all night while I sleep every night, I think it would be healthier to do it from a Roku Box. There certainly has to be a lot of wear & tear happening to a console by constantly leaving it running for everything. I'm not really one of these ADD people who keeps switching my games every hour or two to cause multiple boot ups every day.
Message 202 of 208 (4,988 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
4694 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

@da1writer: 

 

Why do people who are against the idea of backwards compatibility use the terms "entitlement", "whiney" and "first world problems" (I know you did not use that term but I hear it far too much). I get it, the PS4 won't be backwards compatible but that does not mean those who want it are "whining" or "feel entitled" so stop generalizing!!!. I don't know the exact number of people who want backwards compatibility but I would not say only a few wanted it Go look at the blog share. Do you see what the amount of votes PS2 emulation software has?

 

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

 

Backwards compatibility did not make the PS3 expensive; the PS3 parts did. Backwards compatibility is always one of the most wanted features of next gen. Go look at polls and tell me what comes up. Again, I am not saying most people want it but a significant amount due.

 

As for the business side: True, Sony does not earn money when you play your old games, but you add features that your customers want to make them happy. It gives them a reason to stick with them. Sony can’t add backwards compatibility with the PS4 because the PS4 uses completely different hardware but  that does not meant they can’t find some other way. Gaikai could be a good alternative if it is done right.


I know the internals are why there is no Disc BC on the PS4, Gaikai will provide a service either through as monthly subscription, advanced Playstion Plus "Gold" premium, or digital rental service for you BC needs of PS3,PS2, PS1 games.

 

Your link is not helping your argument, no offense. So of the 56,000 PS3 owner's out of 70+ MILLION owners want BC...

Read that again a different way why don't you... Out of 70+ MILLION owners of NON-BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY PS3's, 56,000+ want Backwards Compatibility... Sorry but Myself and many others will agree like Sony. Either make one tiny group happy and add compatibility for OLD GAMES, or chase after the 70 million owners who want NEW GAMES. Hmmm.... hard choice, let's add BC 'kay.

 

OK,, so you are saying that the since there are only 56,000 votes on the blog share Sony should not listen to these people. So basically Sony should just ignore the entire blog share since the top idea is BC.....

 

Sorry, but what makes you think that I only want to play old games? I want to play BOTH old games and new game. I want one device to play all of my games.  Is that hard to understand?  What was the point of Sony selling games digitally if they can't even transfer? Can you give me proof that only a small number of people want BC? I think a significant amount of people want it. Prove me wrong if you can.

 

 

 

Sony will provide BC digitally via Gaikai, that's your answer to you and other's who want it. I'm getting a PS4 to ... *shocker* buy PS4 games. Why should I do that right when I have a PS3 game library availible and ... a PS3 right next to me. 

It is an entitlement BTW for the few of you, you feel entitled to have a console contue BC no matter what. Cool.

 

Well unless Gaikai is subscription free this is not  a good solution. Entitlement? So where in my post did I say I was "entitled" to backwards compatibility? I forgot when I said that.....Remind me, please!  And even if I feel entitled, So what? When you buy a new computer you REPLACE that computer with your new computer. Are you going to keep your old computer laying around to use old software that should work on the new computer? When you buy a new Smartphone, are you going to keep your old Smartphone to use your old apps? You buy a new Smartphone to use the latest apps, and yes, you buy a PS4 to play PS4 games, because they won't work with your old console but I still want to play old games and still play the new games. So fail on Sony's part for not offering backwards compatibility with ones' digital games at least...

 

 

It's not entitlement, it's a DESIRE!!!! It's what I WANT not "Entitlement....

 

Tell that to my NES, SNES, and N64 - all of which if I ever want to go back to yester years to play those games for real, I simply have the game cartridges and the console to play it with no issues.

 

Tell that to all the PS3's that got the YLOD, including my BC 60 GB PS3. Sorry, but your argument is invalid here. Those consoles you mentioned are not as complex as today's consoles. They don't suffer the same issues that modern day consoles suffer. Today's consoles are far less reliable than the consoles from 20 years ago........

 

 

If you want to play you PS3 games, KEEP YOUR PS3.

 

Ah yes, the old "if you want to play PS3 games, keep your PS3"  argument. I've lost count on how many times I've hear that... Let me tell you something, I am keeping my PS3, what I don't want is 5 devices hooked up to my TV. I don't want all of these cords, huge consoles and cables and controllers laying around all around my living room. I already have 4 devices hooked up to my TV and have way too much cords laying around. Have you ever paused to consider why people want backwards compatibility? Maybe they don't want all of these boxes and cords!!!Not to mention if your PS3 breaks, which will happen eventually, you won't need to go out and buy another one. Many of you people think that us wanting backwards compatibility will ruin your next gen experiences. There are people would PAY extra to have BC, so even if people would PAY to have BC, some of you still attack others for wanting it. These console companies need to get wtih the times and offer compatibility with one's purchases and not confine one's old purchases to old and outdated hardware. I understand that the BC is difficult with the PS4 but Sony has patents on making old games work on new hardware through optional add-ons. They can release that if that's the only way.

 

 

If you want a PS4 though get a job and/or SAVE YOUR MONEY. When preorders are availible, I plan on putting money into it weekly until I pay it off like a layaway thing. I'm sure others will be doing the same. 

 

 

Again, I am not selling my PS3. I don't want all my purchases confined only to the PS3 because once my PS3 breaks, I can no longer play my games and I don't want to buy another old obsolete hardware to play my old games........ 

 

 

Not sure if others are going to do this but I also plan on trading in my PS3 when that time comes, I only see 5 more games I want to play on PS3 and then I'll move on to the PS4, all of which should all be beaten before it comes out. 

 

Nope, I have no plans on trading in my PS3.


 My opinion still stands so we can agree to dissagree...


Cool. We can agree to disagree all you like. Fact of the matter still stands though - Sony didn't give a crap when a few customers wanted backwards compatibilty back in the PS3 in it's later console revisions and Sony is merely doing it early for the PS4 by pulling the plug on BC for PS3 games, not you or me or anyone can change that. Sony and other Third party companies took the opportunity to resell classic PS2 game collections in HD/3D/Trophy forms for those PS3 owners who just can't let go of the past and can't play the PS2 disc directly through their PS3. Smart move, they made money reselling the games people purchased before -business smart. Sony knew this and are obviously going to do the same thing through the Gaikai service of the PS4. They will most likely provide the Gaikai service for people like yourself who wish to play old game but obviously for a fee or repurchasing. You can argue with me all you like, if you don't like the facts, tough - nothing you say is going to sway Sony to change a business decision that is obviously going to make them money.

 

Reading your posts have been insightful though, it seem there are a few people in this forum who are not ready for the next gen, changes in their gaming habits, and are still behind on their PS3 gaming library to warrant a non-purchase of a PS4 in the first Place. Again, argue if you like, I can't change the business tactic Sony is running after, all companies chase after money - that's what keeps them afloat. Don't worry, when the few of you stragglers eventually finally buy a PS4 (which is going to happen), we'll be here to play with ya. PS3 has a ten year life cycle, support of games will be there if you stay with the PS3 if you so chose to do so. Don't get so defensive btw here guy, I'm not representing Sony or anyone in particular. I honestly haven't played my PS3 & 360 in weeks, I'm actually ready to move on to next gen. No PS3 or 360 game is holding me back, I'll sell both consoles to offset the PS4 cost if I need to.

 

If anything, I'm a Vita gamer, gaming on the go. More so I'm a PC gamer that absolutely hates Steam due to their constant sales. I bought over 57 games for the price of TWO NEWLY RELEASED PS3/360 game. I have only 5 games for my PS3 (with the exception of loads more on my Hard Drive due to PS+) and only 5 for my 360 (more on Hard Drive due to sales).Yeah... I'm ready to move on to the new games, I personally have a hard time mustering the feeling to play either of my PS3/360...

 

You have a good night dude, don't get so angry. These forums have no way to depict attitudes when typing. I was relaxed playing with my kid on the floor when I typed my last message to ya...

Message 203 of 208 (4,973 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

@da1writer: Don't worry; I am not angry. :smileyhappy: I did not mean to sound so aggressive. if I did sound aggressive, then I am sorry. It was not my intention. I did enjoy talking with you though.

 

Good night to you as well and no hard feelings! :smileywink:

Message 204 of 208 (4,967 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
12238 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 23, 2013

Ugh, these arguments again.....

 

I'll just sum it up:

 

1. Doesn't matter what people want. Sony has the final say. If you don't like it, you buy another console. They can suffer the consequences of their "Neglect" for public opinion by loss of sales.

 

2.Not wanting multiple consoles hooked up is not valid reasoning. My TV stand has 8 slots in it and 5 ports (3 HDMI, 1 Component, 1AV). Kinda pointless to have that many ports and slots if I'm not going to use them. And considering a PS3 is just two cords (Power supply and TV hookup), that's not a lot. I don't want to have to switch my discs to play another game but guess what? I have to get up and switch discs manually. So people who complain for this reason, DEAL WITH IT.

 

3. Saying a PS3 is doomed to failure is a poor generalization. YLOD is easily preventable, you just have to know what to do. If you think quality is poor, you shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

 

4. There is literally no point in posting your opinion here, since A. Sony doesn't take ideas from here B. People will just endlessly argue against your opinion.

 


5. There is no 5, I just like ending on a flat 5 or 10.

 

 

 

 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 205 of 208 (4,955 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Ugh, these arguments again.....

 

I'll just sum it up:

 

1. Doesn't matter what people want. Sony has the final say. If you don't like it, you buy another console. They can suffer the consequences of their "Neglect" for public opinion by loss of sales.

 

2.Not wanting multiple consoles hooked up is not valid reasoning. My TV stand has 8 slots in it and 5 ports (3 HDMI, 1 Component, 1AV). Kinda pointless to have that many ports and slots if I'm not going to use them. And considering a PS3 is just two cords (Power supply and TV hookup), that's not a lot. I don't want to have to switch my discs to play another game but guess what? I have to get up and switch discs manually. So people who complain for this reason, DEAL WITH IT.

 

3. Saying a PS3 is doomed to failure is a poor generalization. YLOD is easily preventable, you just have to know what to do. If you think quality is poor, you shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

 

4. There is literally no point in posting your opinion here, since A. Sony doesn't take ideas from here B. People will just endlessly argue against your opinion.

 


5. There is no 5, I just like ending on a flat 5 or 10.

 

 

 

 


 

Well I still want a PS4...I'm just posting my opinion. Isn't that what these message boards are for? We can agree to disagree. :smileyhappy:

 

I'm done with this thread.

Message 206 of 208 (4,952 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
12238 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 23, 2013

Well this thread is somewhat like a "Poll" thread since it's asking a yes or no question to the forum community, and Poll threads are generally frowned upon since they bring up fruitless discussion.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 207 of 208 (4,947 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
8291 posts
 

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 23, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Well this thread is somewhat like a "Poll" thread since it's asking a yes or no question to the forum community, and Poll threads are generally frowned upon since they bring up fruitless discussion.


Yep.  Considering the direction the conversation went in, the question probably should have been "How much extra are you willing to spend for backward compatibility?"  With the lowest amount at $200.

Message 208 of 208 (4,921 Views)
Reply
0 Likes