Feb 23 2013
By: ECrispy77 Splicer 62 posts

Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

207 replies 785 views Edited Feb 23, 2013

Imagine there were 2 editions of the PS4 - regular one ($425), and Enhanced ($525). The Enhanced version has a dedicated Cell chip from the PS3, everything else like the BluRay drive, memory, input etc is easily shared so the $100 extra is more than enough to make it happen.

Would you buy that?

Message 1 of 208 (785 Views)
VP of Gaming
28985 posts

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Feb 23, 2013

If I'm going to buy a new game machine, I'm going to want to play NEW games on it.

Message 2 of 208 (777 Views)
MVP Support
11000 posts

Feb 23, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

If I'm going to buy a new game machine, I'm going to want to play NEW games on it.

Agreed.  There is ZERO reason for B/C on the PS4.  The PS3 is not going anywhere for at least another six years.  If you have your life savings invested in PS3 games, then you should probably think about hanging onto the console that they were created for.

Message 3 of 208 (775 Views)
Splicer
62 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

There are plenty of people who -

1. can't afford to keep both, so they sell old console to buy the new one

2. new users who haven't used Playstation, for them getting the old game catalog on PS4 is a huge deal

Stop pretending like there's no reason for BC. It may be small market and no one is saying it should be included by default.

And this is not a thread to discuss if B/C is good or not. I'm simply curious how many people would be willing to pay for it.

Message 4 of 208 (772 Views)
MVP Support
11000 posts

Feb 23, 2013

ECrispy77 wrote:

-because that $35-50 you get for your used PS3 is going to put a dent in the cost of the new console, particularly when you throw in probably buying one or two games to go with it.  You'd get more for a few of the games you are no longer interested in playing.

2. new users who haven't used Playstation, for them getting the old game catalog on PS4 is a huge deal

-One word: Gaikai.  Most of the people complaining about no B/C are ones that have a huge library of PS3 games.  For those people, it will be more cost efficient to hang on to their PS3.

Stop pretending like there's no reason for BC. It may be small market and no one is saying it should be included by default.

Care to try again?

Message 5 of 208 (767 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 23, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

ECrispy77 wrote:

-because that $35-50 you get for your used PS3 is going to put a dent in the cost of the new console, particularly when you throw in probably buying one or two games to go with it.  You'd get more for a few of the games you are no longer interested in playing.

-One word: Gaikai.  Most of the people complaining about no B/C are ones that have a huge library of PS3 games.  For those people, it will be more cost efficient to hang on to their PS3.

Care to try again?

1. Used PS3's still go for quite a bit more. If at the time of PS4 launch I can buy a PS3 for $35 I'll be very happy!

2. Sony hasn't said they will have enable Gaikai streaming, they only said its 'possbile at a future date'. On top of that they never said whether it'll be free, whether it will support all older games, what kind of bandwidth it'd need etc etc. So maybe it'll be a better option for new users, maybe not.

Message 6 of 208 (763 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 23, 2013

ECrispy77 wrote:

That pure idiocy... you're talking as if consoles are financed. the PS4 sill MANY MONTHS away from launch... if you are good with managing your money, no matter if you're inpoverished or just in the lower-class, you can save up $50 a month to buy a PS4 on launch day... OR.... like most smart people, wait a year or two AFTER launch when the good games start coming out.
Is it really THAT hard to save money?
I remember I had to live off of $15k year.... my living expenses were 70% of my monthly income, and I was still able to spend money on toys and going out to eat twice a month with friends. Its called balancing your budget and living WITHIN your means.
Also called mowing peoples yards for $10-20 a pop.
If you want it bad enough, you will find a way

A fair point, but if they wanted to play the older library of games, they could easily buy the older consoles for a good price.... I just bought a 2 year old PS2 slim for my 10year old cousin for just $20 and paid $30 for a good chunk of games by buying them at thrift stores, Goodwill and garage sales, craigslist

We're not pretending... we're being realistic and using common sense and logical thought.... 

And this is not a thread to discuss if B/C is good or not. I'm simply curious how many people would be willing to pay for it.

If people want it bad enough, they're going to pay for it.

The only thing you're trying to argue here is about ENTITLEMENT.... "We are ENTITLED to have B/C because there are poor people who can't afford such nice things" and etcetra....

Sony is a BUSINESS, FIRST AND FOREMOST.... they have to do what they can to keep the company stable and try to "Stay in the black".

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 208 (762 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 23, 2013

ECrispy77 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

ECrispy77 wrote:

Care to try again?

1. Used PS3's still go for quite a bit more. If at the time of PS4 launch I can buy a PS3 for $35 I'll be very happy!

Because people think they'lll make a profit.... not always the case... I bought and sold PS1/2/3's on the used market to turn a small profit to line my pockets... with PS3's, i'd buy ones that had a bad laser or dead hdd for like $50, and then easily fix them in 2 hours and sell them for $150. Most of the people who bought my refurbed and cleaned PS3's still have yet to have an issue. 

2. Sony hasn't said they will have enable Gaikai streaming, they only said its 'possbile at a future date'. On top of that they never said whether it'll be free, whether it will support all older games, what kind of bandwidth it'd need etc etc. So maybe it'll be a better option for new users, maybe not.

Of course the Gaikai service won't be free.... they bought Gaikai for $380milion... They WILL make it a subscription based service... just like how On-Live's business model is(which is something like $15/mo IIRC. They have to make their money back SOMEHOW.
Do some reasearch about On-Live... it will give you a good indication of the business model works and how it will be similar to Sony's

Whether or not Sony will attatch Gaikai to Plus for a higher cost, or make it a separate service, or both by making a tiered PSN service (which is likely what will happen).... remains to be seen.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 208 (760 Views)
MVP Support
40056 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

ECrispy77 wrote:

Imagine there were 2 editions of the PS4 - regular one ($425), and Enhanced ($525). The Enhanced version has a dedicated Cell chip from the PS3, everything else like the BluRay drive, memory, input etc is easily shared so the $100 extra is more than enough to make it happen.

Would you buy that?

No.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 9 of 208 (758 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Feb 23, 2013

ABSOLUTELY NOT...

if you have to sell your ps3 to buy a ps4 you probably shouldn't have the ps3to begin with...

end of story...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 10 of 208 (747 Views)
0 Likes