PlayStation MVP
7479 posts

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

Mar 16, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:
I love that PC's are backwards compatible. In fact, I think that they are superior to consoles for that reason. It's just that a lot of games I want to play are on PlayStation. I really wish Sony would offer a backwards compatible SKU. lol

PCs aren't "Backward Compatible".  There aren't "generations" of PCs per se.  Yeah, you upgrade the parts in your computer and can still play old games, but playing a game in Windows 7 that was released for Windows XP (Windows v5.0) would be basically the same thing as playing MetalGearSolid4 (a game that came out around PS3 fw 2.2) on a PS3 with firmware version 4.31.

The problem PCs have is that technology changes, and the OS has to change with it, creating the need for Compatibility mode (which does not work with all software).

Destiny Beta: Abbarrax
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 208 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 16, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

ElektroDragon wrote:

YES.  I would easily pay more for a backwards compatible PS3.  Up to $200 more.  My 2007 fat model is on its last legs I think.  It won't last forever, and when it dies, I don't want to have to buy one of the new plasticy units designed by a shower radio enthusiast.

Yeah, that's true! Consoles don't last forever. I already bought a second PS3. If fact, I am not the only one who got the YLOD. Having backwards compatibility ensures that you can still play your older games even if you don't have your old system. Not only that, having one device to play all of your games is better than having 2 or 3.

Most do. And have you ever owned vinly records or cassete tapes?

I never had any vinly records but I do have some old cassete tapes laying around. lol

-------------------------

@Murderstyle75: I am OK with re-buying old games on the PS4 if it means I can transfer those old games to future consoles.

--------------------------

@BBurgSteve: I see, it makes sense I guess! lol

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 208 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Mar 16, 2013
I'd pay an extra $50 for it, but not $100.

Frankenstein

Check out my financial website.

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 208 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8797 posts

Mar 16, 2013
PC games are not always cheaper though. Unless there is a sale, most games on Steam are the exact same price as they are on the PS3. Black Ops 2 is 59.99 on both console and PC. Skyrim is 39.99 on both and so is Battlefield 3. Even Dishonored is 59.99. Sure there are a few exceptions but for the most part, they cost the same these days.

Furthermore, Steam is the main distribution method on the PC now. When you buy a digital PC game, you are only buying a single user license. This means the game can only be played on the account it was purchased from. There is also no gaurentee that a digital download will always be available. What if Steam closed shop one day? Forget about backwards compatability. You wouldn't be allowed to play the game even on your old PC since you do not own the copy.
Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 208 (125 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Mar 16, 2013

If such an option were offered... no, I'd probably not spend the extra money for a backward compatible PS4. 

I already own 2 PS3s, a PS2 and a PS1. I've got all the compatability I need right there in those consoles. 

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 208 (117 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1086 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

If such an option were offered... no, I'd probably not spend the extra money for a backward compatible PS4. 

I already own 2 PS3s, a PS2 and a PS1. I've got all the compatability I need right there in those consoles. 

pretty much same with me.  I have 2 ps1's still have my launch ps2 and 1 completely working ps3 and a few ylod ones I got from friends for free. So no I would not pay extra for a system that just has B/C.  I would however pay extra for a some kind of upgraded system.  I'd rather take the $ I would save and buy some games.

gojeff99
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 208 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8797 posts

Mar 17, 2013
Exactly. These people want to pay extra to go backwards. I would rather pay extra to be forward. The only things that need to be compatable are accessories like headsets and what not.
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 208 (102 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
739 posts

Mar 17, 2013

I agree. I mean, sure I would love to play some PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on the PS4, but I'd rather just have a outstanding console for right now. I may be biased as I still have my PS2 and thus can still play my ps2 and ps1 games, but I'd rather the PS4 to improve itself in terms of capabilities. 

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 208 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8797 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013
First you lie and say they were making double off the PS3 than they were worth when a stand alone Blu-Ray player was hundreds more than a PS3 when it released. Then you said games were cheaper which for the most part, they are not anymore. You also say the hardware lasts longer which is false as well. PS3 released on 2006. Show me a 2006 PC that can still play 2013 games at max settings like the PC is intended without hardware upgrades. Furthermore, exclusive console games have something over even many PC games. Since there is one set of specs, developers can optimize a title even further for the exclusive hardware. You should have seen what Epic Games did with The Liandri Conflict on the original Xbox thanks to the UE2X engine. In 2005, the game was outperforming many PC games running on better hardware. Because all specs were the same, they could take the game to another level completely. And the real PC gamers I know are spending thousands on their systems after upgrades. Not 400.00 to 600.00 that will last many years.
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 208 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
517 posts

Mar 17, 2013

ECrispy77 wrote:

Imagine there were 2 editions of the PS4 - regular one ($425), and Enhanced ($525). The Enhanced version has a dedicated Cell chip from the PS3, everything else like the BluRay drive, memory, input etc is easily shared so the $100 extra is more than enough to make it happen.

Would you buy that?

I would absolutely pay $100 more for a PS3-backward compatible PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 208 (224 Views)
0 Likes