Sackboy
479 posts

Re: Would you pay more for a PS4 version with backward compatibility?

[ Edited ]
Mar 18, 2013

Life is full of difficult choices. And first world problems.

Message 71 of 208 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
First you lie and say they were making double off the PS3 than they were worth when a stand alone Blu-Ray player was hundreds more than a PS3 when it released. Then you said games were cheaper which for the most part, they are not anymore. You also say the hardware lasts longer which is false as well. PS3 released on 2006. Show me a 2006 PC that can still play 2013 games at max settings like the PC is intended without hardware upgrades. Furthermore, exclusive console games have something over even many PC games. Since there is one set of specs, developers can optimize a title even further for the exclusive hardware. You should have seen what Epic Games did with The Liandri Conflict on the original Xbox thanks to the UE2X engine. In 2005, the game was outperforming many PC games running on better hardware. Because all specs were the same, they could take the game to another level completely. And the real PC gamers I know are spending thousands on their systems after upgrades. Not 400.00 to 600.00 that will last many years.

Sony invented bluray i thought it, didnt cost them any more then a dvd drive ill almost bet.  Them ordering by the truck loads also cost less for other parts.  We pay for everything and usually get nuthing more, im suprised sony gave free online.  I heard theres alot of hacking going on though online ps3 and 360.  Sony got even hacked on the network.  This is what 16gig ram cost the single customer not what it would cost sony to order by the truck loads and its pretty darn cheap.  I heard ps4 was going to be much money and really what for considering a awesome pc that will last two console lifetimes if not more with its stats would cost 1k to build, it would probably last 4 console lifetimes depending on the Graphic card you slap in it.  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7487099&CatId=4534

The Customer made Sony and all corporations big and the min wage workers, they even outsource on us in China.  It maybe a Japanese company Sony that is but alot of American companies do to.  They dont want to pay fair, they dont want to give fair, they want it all and the top man really gets rich, probably above 16million Mitt Romney pay cause Romney is a peon.  Not to bring politics into the discussion but just for some to get a idea whats really going on.

The best way to stay rich is tell the public your poor or losing.  The public and fans feel sorry and pay more, we are good people.  Most Corporations arent but who am i to judge?  I know some dont pay taxes and get both corporate welfare and huge tax returns.  they also outsource on the people, which means they move their companys to other countries so they can pay a even cheaper wage and build their products for less.  However they dont slap a lessor price tag on the puppy do they?

Now for a song,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaZWK_MwHY

One more i get alot of pain devil hates me i think,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HFbNhTTKQ

Heres a good one dont let them divide us,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSR4ltkDCg

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 72 of 208 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Mar 17, 2013
Probably.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 73 of 208 (160 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11147 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

TheDster wrote:

I heard ps4 was going to be much money and really what for considering a awesome pc that will last two console lifetimes if not more with its stats would cost 1k to build, it would probably last 4 console lifetimes depending on the Graphic card you slap in it.  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7487099&CatId=4534

Would you quit with the 20+ year lifespan of a PC?  It absolutely will not happen.  The CPU in a PC is pretty much the limiting factor, and those have about a 3-4 year lifespan before the next generation makes it obsolete.  Yes, you can upgrade other parts to try to make it last into the next generation, but eventually, you need to upgrade the CPU, as well, and that makes your computer no longer 'old'.

Yes, you can build a computer today that will last maybe 7 or 8 years, but it will cost a lot more than $1,000:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 x8 - $199.99

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V 990x AM3+ - $219.99

Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 32GB (4x8GB) - $239.99

Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 1050W - $209.99

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D - $179.99

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB GDDR5 (x3/SLI) - $3,209.97

HDD: WD 30EFRX Red 3TB (x2/RAID) - $379.98

Boot Drive: Corsair Neutron SSD 120GB - $129.99

Optical Drive: LG 16x Blu-ray Writer - $119.99

Miscellaneous (Fans, Cables, Mounting hardware, etc) - $100

And your 7-8 year PC will run you --- $4,989.88.  And note that this does not include keyboard, mouse, monitor(s), etc.

Sounds like quite the bargain, doesn't it?

Message 74 of 208 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 17, 2013
Just because the assembly of the units can be done cheap does not mean the cost of materials can. Full production cost of a 2006 20GB PS3 was 805.85 with the 60GB costing 840.35.

The BD drive alone cost them 125.00 and the RSX chip was 129.00. These are just two of many things that went into making the console. These are also not just Sony parts and the companies such as Nvidia who want their money as well?

Also think about the fortune that is spent developing and marketing these units before manufacturing even starts. Or the money to took to develop and maintain PSN. The only salaries that are low are laborer saleries which is true with any product. The only consoles that have launched for profit in recent history was the GameCube and Wii. Even the Wii U is being sold at a loss now. PS3 and Xbox 360 cost Microsoft and Sony a combined total of 8 billion dollars.

Message 75 of 208 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

A lot of people who say "keep your PS3" don't get the idea; having a PS4 with backwards compatibility means that you can still play old games even if your old console breaks. If you don't know what I am talking about; then you could look up "yellow light of death".

it's ironic actually, lots of Sony fans seem to be against the idea of backwards compatibility and jump on anyone who ask for it even if people say they want to pay to have it, but Ken Kutaragi, who is the "father of PlayStation" supported the idea of backwards compatibility. I think he felt it was something that should be part of the PlayStation brand. After he left, Sony removed it pretty quickly. lol

Whatever, everyone has their own opinion. I strongly support backwards compatibility. I think backwards compatibility should be standard and I think Sony should always offer it even if you have to pay for it. I know this is a business but you offer people backwards compatibility because you want to make them happy. It gives some people a reason to stay with Sony and not jump to another platform.

Message 76 of 208 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11147 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

A lot of people who say "keep your PS3" don't get the idea. Having a PS4 with backwards compatibility means that you can still play old games even if your old console breaks. If you don't know what I am talking about; then you could look up "yellow light of death".

I am one of those people saying to keep your PS3, but if I was given the choice, I would prefer a BC PS4.  I am just being realistic about it.  It won't happen, because it simply can't.  At least, not in any way that would be affordable or even cost effective.  A B/C PS4 would need a Cell and an RSX on the motherboard, yes, but that is not the only issue.

Not only would the PS3 hardware need to be there, but the PS4 hardware would need to be able to communicate with it, since basically the entire system would need to be shared between the two processors.  Two extremely incompatible processors.

The only physical way for the PS4 to be backward compatible with the PS3 is by including an entire PS3 inside the PS4 case.  Which would be subject to the same failures as the current PS3.  Meaning the risk of a YLOD failure in the PS3 hardware will still be there.  It would be much more at risk, because you'd have much more heat.  The Cell runs hot... AMD processors tend to run even hotter - of course AMD processors are designed around the fact that they run extremely hot.  The kind of heat that would be generated by a dual processor system would melt the Cell in a matter of hours.  The Cell itself would be destroyed, not just the solder that attaches it to the board.

Basically the $100 'premium' for a b/c PS4 would not even scratch the surface of what it would cost Sony to build one.  $250-300 would be a closer estimate, and that is being conservative.  I suspect when the PS4 is released, the PS3 will finally drop under $200, and probably under $150 within a year or so.

Message 77 of 208 (101 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 17, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

A lot of people who say "keep your PS3" don't get the idea. Having a PS4 with backwards compatibility means that you can still play old games even if your old console breaks. If you don't know what I am talking about; then you could look up "yellow light of death".

I am one of those people saying to keep your PS3, but if I was given the choice, I would prefer a BC PS4.  I am just being realistic about it.  It won't happen, because it simply can't.  At least, not in any way that would be affordable or even cost effective.  A B/C PS4 would need a Cell and an RSX on the motherboard, yes, but that is not the only issue.

Not only would the PS3 hardware need to be there, but the PS4 hardware would need to be able to communicate with it, since basically the entire system would need to be shared between the two processors.  Two extremely incompatible processors.

The only physical way for the PS4 to be backward compatible with the PS3 is by including an entire PS3 inside the PS4 case.  Which would be subject to the same failures as the current PS3.  Meaning the risk of a YLOD failure in the PS3 hardware will still be there.  It would be much more at risk, because you'd have much more heat.  The Cell runs hot... AMD processors tend to run even hotter - of course AMD processors are designed around the fact that they run extremely hot.  The kind of heat that would be generated by a dual processor system would melt the Cell in a matter of hours.  The Cell itself would be destroyed, not just the solder that attaches it to the board.

Basically the $100 'premium' for a b/c PS4 would not even scratch the surface of what it would cost Sony to build one.  $250-300 would be a closer estimate, and that is being conservative.  I suspect when the PS4 is released, the PS3 will finally drop under $200, and probably under $150 within a year or so.

Yeah, you do have a point. I do have a question though. Since the PS4 is using X86 hardware: do you think backwards compatibility would be more possible with future PlayStation consoles? I heard X86 hardware is easier to emulate. Is it?

Message 78 of 208 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Mar 17, 2013

If you want B/C so bad why not go this route?  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009DYE3JI/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_iJErrb1C5QCZY

Includes: 250GB PS3 System, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, the Ratchet and Clank Collection and Media/Blue-Ray Disc Remote Control all for $250

Bam new PS3, super slim uses less electricity then the older PS3's and its super small to fit anywhere it takes up what the room of 4 game case's?

MVP
Message 79 of 208 (95 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11147 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Yeah, you do have a point. I do have a question though. Since the PS4 is using X86 hardware: do you think backwards compatibility would be more possible with future PlayStation consoles? I heard X86 hardware is easier to emulate. Is it?

Yes, I imagine going forward, it would be much easier for the next generation (eg PS5) to be backward compatible as long as the next generation retains the x86/x64 hardware of the coming generation.  Much like PC software continues to run if you upgrade to the next generation of processor/GPU.  I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3.  Yes, it was cutting edge at the time and all that, but it's just not worth it in the long run (hence the fact they are abandoning the technology with the PS4).

Message 80 of 208 (147 Views)