Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: XBOX1 or Ps4 ?

Jun 11, 2013

PS4 will be my first purchase.

Later down the road, I will pick up an Xbox One.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 131 of 137 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Jun 11, 2013

If Microsoft removes the DRM online check-in with the XBOX1, before release date, Yes I'll take the XBOX over the ps4.

Message 132 of 137 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

Jun 11, 2013

If I'm getting any one of those. It would have to be the XBOX.

Gold account subscription sharing is promised.

can't afford 3 subscriptions every year with Sony.

Message 133 of 137 (155 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 12, 2013

To be quite honest the game companies themselves shouldn't benefit from what I do with my used copy of the game unless you wish to expand that to used movies and other used physical items such as televisions, cameras, etc because those companies do not see a dime of the profits from a garage sale or ebay sale.

There's also the archival issue. There are still people today playing games that are 40+ years old. Digital storage is mostly up to the company offering the content to keep it available for redownload and with DRM can make backups of the stuff entirely dependant on their cloud storage. There is zero guarantee that I would be able to redownload it 20 years down the road where as my disc (presuming I take proper care of it of course) I can pop in and play except for those permanently tied to things like authentication servers that are mandatory to even play a single player game or games built with cloud computing in which an always on connection is flat out required.

This is good for a 'short run'of a product but there is no long term promise that comes along with it. Retaining our replayability of games without oversight of some company making an extra few bucks from someone purchasing a used game is detrimental for any long term replay value. However, I do fully agree with you that Gamestop for example pretty much rips you off on trade in value. I had a copy of Modern Warfare 2 for the Xbox 360, trade in value at the time... $20.  Sold it on ebay for $40. After the fees and shipping ~$34 and some change. The game was selling brand new for $49.99.

Now take out the ability to play used games. A game no longer available for download or purchase new ... you're out of luck. Progress does not need to come with restrictions or feeding overly greedy publishers (because those are the ones that see the bulk of the funds from any game project, not as much the devs). There needs to be a point in which the rights of the consumer need to come before the business and I think with the fear about piracy these companies have played on, DRM is the excuse to further tight control over products. If anything I feel we need federal intervention against practices like this. Sony at one point attempted to ban the ability to lend or rent a game. Heck even on the game discs on the fine print around the edge still mentions about unauthorized renting.

Either way, digital media is more of a problem than a conveninece in the long run save for those who white knight the content producers. Discs are still quite essential for those of us with large game libraries. I've added up the total space required of my PS3 games combined and to have them all digitally and more or less safe from a risk of later being made unavailable for download I would need a hard drive around 16 Terrabytes. Vs the 500 gig that the PS4 comes stock. Yeah, no way.

Big rule in IT... never, ever rely on one backup source. That's the problem with digital only purchasing. Backups are pretty much entirely dependent on the company's cloud storage or will to continue to make the content available. I can avoid my bitterness toward Gamestop by skipping them entirely and simply toss up an ebay ad or craigslist posting for any game I don't want  and simply resell, particularly with a bad game. Also with a game disc I can usually at the very least get an exchange if the game is  just utter crap whereas with a digital download, there is no option for that and thus zero protection from them selling you a fairly expensive bad product.

This of course is why we need more government protections when it comes to control over digital media. Main reasons for the whole all sales final is really in the end to avoid situations where someone copies the product and then simply returns for a refund. Amazon has it right with Kindle which is highly successful in the eBook world particularly given that it also allows you return of books within 7 days for a full refund. There are protections in place for those that would abuse the refund policy (I know, I've helped establish a few of them in a JDI last year) but that abuse really isn't all that common. So good for considering some sort of return policy for digital items but still need to be able to retain access to used games that are no longer being supported or even sold.

Message 134 of 137 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jun 13, 2013

My problem isn't the Used Games, because I never buy a Used Game... 

My Problem is the New Games, because if your Console Breaks, you are automatically making your New Game into a Used Game by buying a New Console... 

This is my Problem... 

If a Company Blocks out Used Games, that means their blocking out New Games, too... The People just don't realize it, until it's too late... 

Which is why they are pushing People twards Didgetal Games over Discs now... 

From what i'm thinking is that they figured it's a lot harder to Sell a Copy of a Used Didgetal Item that is stuck on your Console, rather then simply Selling a Used CD... 

-----------------------------------

I'll never go Didgetal, because I like having the ability to Sell a Game if I don't like the Game I buy... 

And I like having a CD to show that I have the Game... I don't have to worry about some Power Failure, or something on a Companies end to cause my Game Library to Vanish... With a CD, you don't really have any thing to worry about... 

I guess, I just feel safer with CD's...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 135 of 137 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

If I'm getting any one of those. It would have to be the XBOX.

Gold account subscription sharing is promised.

can't afford 3 subscriptions every year with Sony.

you only need one.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 136 of 137 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Maybe, more then one Person uses their Console, so they have Multiple Subscriptions... 

Or maybe they just like buying things over, & over again... New Account after one, after another... 

What is the Point to changing your Stats on PS3 for Games you Play, just because you don't like your Stats? 

It's like a Fight... You can't just simply ask a guy who beat you up 50 times... To Simply start over, because you didn't win?? 

Makes no sense to change stats, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 137 of 137 (87 Views)
0 Likes