MVP Support
11160 posts

Re: Xbox One EPIC FAIL

May 22, 2013

Cascadien wrote:

epic fail huh, well for one they could actually show their console and two will PS4 be able to do this?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205083/article/nfl-microsoft-strike-deal-to-enhance-fans-tv-...

seems to me like they are well ahead of sony in this regard.

Yep.  Fits right in with the 90-second Reveal highlights video.

TV and Sports.

As pointed out, the "NFL Experience" on XBO will NOT be free, and it is very unlikely that it will be included with a Gold subscription.

To put it in perspective, NFL Sunday Ticket costs about $400/yr if you don't have a DirecTV subscription.  I imagine the "NFL Experience" will also cost somewhere in that neighborhood.

Doesn't sound too much like they are ahead of Sony at all.

Message 21 of 35 (947 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 23, 2013

Cascadien wrote:

Doogie86 wrote:

For one, not that great of experience, all I need is redzone ans my tablet which I already have. What it doesn't mention is how much it will cost you. A $400 million dollor deal won't be free, seeing as microsoft wants to charge for everything anyway.

my point being that for all the sabre rattling ive been hearing from sony fanboys, at this point in time sony just doesnt seem to have their act together as well as microsoft imo.

You know what Cascadien, you are right, I guess I am a sabre-rattling fan boy now.  I owned all 3 of the last consoles and a basic PC rig too, just to cover the bases.  And I USED to consider myself an XBOX fanboy.  I played the 360 more than any other console.  But I just can't follow Microsoft down this road.  Yes, I'm kinda mad about it.  They had a great run with 360, until some doucher MBA junior executive decided he could find some more "upwardly mobile revenue share streams" [or whatever] by SCREWING gamers.

The saddest thing is, a whole new generation of gamers may just grow up thinking that paying subscription fees to play games in your home that you ALREADY BOUGHT is normal.  They may never know the joy of swapping game disks (or cartriges) with their best friend for a month, just to try something new.  And they may think that the deepest experience gaming has to offer is Just Dance or Fable: The Journey.

I guess I should have clarified better.  Sony could still lose big, but MS already has.

Message 22 of 35 (921 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

As long as they avoid MS's path of online DRM and no used games and deliver the great games like they have been with the PS3 , Sony is going to be a unstoppable Juggernaut.. the X1 is dead no matter what. Online DRM and no used games killed it . its over for that console before it even starts. The Wii U at best may survive and be another GC depending on how ninendo does with getting its software out there.

Message 23 of 35 (914 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 23, 2013

ArkonBlade wrote:

As long as they avoid MS's path of online DRM and no used games and deliver the great games like they have been with the PS3 , Sony is going to be a unstoppable Juggernaut.. the X1 is dead no matter what. Online DRM and no used games killed it . its over for that console before it even starts. The Wii U at best may survive and be another GC depending on how ninendo does with getting its software out there.

I totally agree, Arkon.  You nailed it.

And we shouldn't count out Nintendo.  They have suprised me again and again over the last (nearly) 30 years.  They even survived the worst gaming defeat in history: the Virtual Boy.

But I predict a second era of unfettered domination by Sony, the PS4 will remind us why we all loved and cherished the PS2 era so well.

Message 24 of 35 (907 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

Yeah when it comes to Nintendo you never do know with them. 3DS seems to be a good example . it flailed around for about a year doing nothing every one called it dead and thena pirce drop and  software came out and bam it picked up. Thats what the Wii U needs at this point a price drop and a good chunk of some great software. If nintedno can do that the Wii U will pick up and hang in there.

which is also what the Vita needs as well.especially the price drop on the system and the memory cards.

Message 25 of 35 (899 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 23, 2013

ArkonBlade wrote:

Yeah when it comes to Nintendo you never do know with them. 3DS seems to be a good example . it flailed around for about a year doing nothing every one called it dead and thena pirce drop and  software came out and bam it picked up. Thats what the Wii U needs at this point a price drop and a good chunk of some great software. If nintedno can do that the Wii U will pick up and hang in there.

which is also what the Vita needs as well.especially the price drop on the system and the memory cards.

Yes!  When I pick up my Vita and turn it on, I get a warm glow in my heart.  It has everything I want in a portable.  It just needs that one killer game.  You know, the one that you just can't put down, and suddenly 12 hours have elapsed.  It will happen.  All the right ingredients are there, it just needs an inspired studio to make it sing.

Message 26 of 35 (896 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

@Cannon Fodder

yeah i like my Vita but just have a 8gb memory card and thats maxed out. Like a 32GB one but not paying $100 for one. cut that down to $40-$50 then i will pick one up. I think last game i even bought for it was Disgaea 3 and have only played it recently because having PS+ gives me free games to play Smiley Happy

would really like to see some more games for it. Though i do need to pick up persona the golden and Earth defense Force 2017 for it some day. Just have have a few to many other games i am working on at the moment.

Message 27 of 35 (890 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29187 posts

May 23, 2013

I know that this doesn't mean much to "gamers", but they did announce a deal with the NFL for a new gameday app, and product placement. The National Football League is a $12 BILLION a year business, and if you have anything associated with it, that's like having a license to print money.

Message 28 of 35 (888 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 23, 2013

ArkonBlade wrote:

@Cannon Fodder

yeah i like my Vita but just have a 8gb memory card and thats maxed out. Like a 32GB one but not paying $100 for one. cut that down to $40-$50 then i will pick one up. I think last game i even bought for it was Disgaea 3 and have only played it recently because having PS+ gives me free games to play Smiley Happy

would really like to see some more games for it. Though i do need to pick up persona the golden and Earth defense Force 2017 for it some day. Just have have a few to many other games i am working on at the moment.

Yeah, Arkon, I hear you.

And look, I'm not trying to be cheap with the DRM thing.

I don't really buy used games very often.  I'm all about paying full retail to support great game studios.  I just don't like MS dictating to me what I can and can't do with games that I OWN.  MS most certainly has the right to tell me I can't play my games without an XBLA Gold subscription.  But I also have the right to kick them the hell out of my lving room.

There are some circumstances where paying a subscription might make sense.  How about $50 a month to download ANY game from their library on a temporary basis.  Think of it like a digital library card.  I could go for that.  But telling me that a copy of a disk I BOUGHT can only be used under the conditions they define?  Heck no.

Sony wins this one.  All they have to do is not screw it up.

Message 29 of 35 (883 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29187 posts

May 23, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Cascadien wrote:

epic fail huh, well for one they could actually show their console and two will PS4 be able to do this?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205083/article/nfl-microsoft-strike-deal-to-enhance-fans-tv-...

seems to me like they are well ahead of sony in this regard.

Yep.  Fits right in with the 90-second Reveal highlights video.

TV and Sports.

As pointed out, the "NFL Experience" on XBO will NOT be free, and it is very unlikely that it will be included with a Gold subscription.

To put it in perspective, NFL Sunday Ticket costs about $400/yr if you don't have a DirecTV subscription.  I imagine the "NFL Experience" will also cost somewhere in that neighborhood.

Doesn't sound too much like they are ahead of Sony at all.

One of the things is the deal covers product placement. It makes the XBox One the "official game console of the NFL". It just seems like they need to throw up a hail mary to counter, knowing that they couldn't top Sony this time around.

Message 30 of 35 (880 Views)
0 Likes