Jul 14 2014
By: BeersYourFriend First Son 19 posts

Xbox One's thumb sticks, and upgrading your DS4 battery

[ Edited ]
7 replies 1287 views Edited Jul 14, 2014

I just bought my PS4 recently and was reading that a lot of DS4 thumbsticks were wearing down. So, I did a little research and found out something very interesting!

It seems that the Xbox One thumbsticks fit perfectly into the DS4 controller. I haven't used my PS4 at great lengths to notice any issues, but it was a bit worried... Plus I own an Xbox One, and really love the feel of their thumbsticks! Straight away I ordered the Xbox One's thumbsticks on eBay, opened up the controller, and placed them in.

I have to say that I am very impressed how well they work, and feel on the DS4! You get a lot more control using these because the Xbox One thumbsticks are taller then the DS4's, so navigating in games requires less force. KontrolFreaks anyone? Now it's certainly not as high as Kontrolfreek freaks thumsticks, which is a good thing because the new DS4 controller is so much more comfortable in comparison to the DS3's, that putting a KF on is uncomfortable.

So, I started hearing that the DS4s battery can be replaced with a bigger (up to 2000ma/h) battery, adding to twice the length of your DS4's battery currently. Am now waiting on my new battery to arrive and will keep you posted.

I know many others on here already know of this, but guessing the majority don't. So, I thought I'd see what your thoughts are about switching over thumbsticks, or an upgrading your DS4's battery? Also, I'd like to hear from others who have already done this to their DS4s, and their impressions with the change.

Amazon: Xbox One thumsticks $4.99, EBay: 2000ma/h Battery $8.35.

I found this YouTube video online that will walk you step by step about how to open up your DS4, and help with the installation process. (Below)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyoH50xteE">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyoH50xteE

Your thoughts? Thanks Guys!

Mod Edit: edit title for clarity, remove extra code and add line breaks to post, added correct label. Click here for more info on labels, and here for our Rules of Conduct and Forum Guidelines

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 8 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Re: Xbox One's thumb sticks, and upgrading your DS4 battery

Jul 14, 2014

Xbox Ones thumb sticks are just awful, why anyone would put those on their DS4 is beyond my understanding.

"One man's garbage is another man's good ungarbage."~TPB Ricky
Message 3 of 8 (1,239 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Jul 14, 2014
Don't get me wrong... I love the DS4's sticks, but in my opinion the Xbox One's have very nice gripping on the sides. Also, the added elevation and smaller diameter make for a much better play than ever before. They are 5 bucks. Put some on, and try it out. If you don't like it switch back? Peace!
Message 4 of 8 (1,221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jul 14, 2014
I've tried those little tricks, and according to iFitit battery tests show that it does give you a full 12.5 hours from its usual 11 hours. I don't know where they got an 11 hour controller , because most are saying a heck of a lot shorter duration than that. So... Anyways, an added 1 hour compared to putting a 2000ma/h battery in theoretically will double the use to about 24 hours. Now why wouldn't you want the upgrade? Super simple to take the old out, and put in a new one. But, you might want to follow this YouTube video step by step so that you don't mess anything up. Peace!
Message 5 of 8 (1,215 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1493 posts

Jul 14, 2014

BeersYourFriend wrote:

I just bought my PS4 recently and was reading that a lot of DS4 thumbsticks were wearing down. So, I did a little research and found out something very interesting!

It seems that the Xbox One thumbsticks fit perfectly into the DS4 controller. I haven't used my PS4 at great lengths to notice any issues, but it was a bit worried... Plus I own an Xbox One, and really love the feel of their thumbsticks! Straight away I ordered the Xbox One's thumbsticks on eBay, opened up the controller, and placed them in.

I have to say that I am very impressed how well they work, and feel on the DS4! You get a lot more control using these because the Xbox One thumbsticks are taller then the DS4's, so navigating in games requires less force. KontrolFreaks anyone? Now it's certainly not as high as Kontrolfreek freaks thumsticks, which is a good thing because the new DS4 controller is so much more comfortable in comparison to the DS3's, that putting a KF on is uncomfortable.

So, I started hearing that the DS4s battery can be replaced with a bigger (up to 2000ma/h) battery, adding to twice the length of your DS4's battery currently. Am now waiting on my new battery to arrive and will keep you posted.

I know many others on here already know of this, but guessing the majority don't. So, I thought I'd see what your thoughts are about switching over thumbsticks, or an upgrading your DS4's battery? Also, I'd like to hear from others who have already done this to their DS4s, and their impressions with the change.

Amazon: Xbox One thumsticks $4.99, EBay: 2000ma/h Battery $8.35.

I found this YouTube video online that will walk you step by step about how to open up your DS4, and help with the installation process. (Below)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyoH50xteE">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyoH50xteE

Your thoughts? Thanks Guys!

Mod Edit: edit title for clarity, remove extra code and add line breaks to post, added correct label. Click here for more info on labels, and here for our Rules of Conduct and Forum Guidelines

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Thanks for the info Im going to try rhat (  PSN Ag3nt_Slug3r  XBL Ag3nt Slug3r )

Message 6 of 8 (1,190 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Jul 14, 2014
No Problem! If you like the Xbox One thumb sticks, then your going to really love your DS4 even more! I wish the video would load to the YouTube link. If it didn't work for you, then just type keywords, Xbox One Thumb Sticks DS4, and it's probably the first video on the list. Not many people have posted videos yet, since it's relatively new news. Might as well upgrade your battery while your at it. Peace!
Message 7 of 8 (1,173 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 15, 2014

there are much better ways in getting more grip on the analogs than using crappy Xbox One sticks.  Sorry for those that like them, but those sticks are crap and you can get much better gripping options out there.   You can even get stuff at the hardware store.

"One man's garbage is another man's good ungarbage."~TPB Ricky
Message 8 of 8 (1,104 Views)
0 Likes