Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
5 posts

Re: YLOD REPAIR GUIDE (NEW)

Jun 16, 2012

Hahaha, I'll give her a go and let you know how it goes! Thanks again for the quick replies. Even after 3 years, you're still keeping this thread alive. That's dedication right there.

Message 331 of 353 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 16, 2012

Well I did what you said, but instead I decided to go a good 60 seconds on each area, then ANOTHER 30 seconds on the whole thing with a big circular motion around the 2 spots. Tried to start her up and went back to the YLOD in a second. Well I've given up. Not much more I can do.

On a positive note, I can assemble and reassemble it like a pro now. I disassembled that bitch in 12 minutes(I timed it) And it took me about 15 to reassemble. I should go into the business of fixing ps3's. Just gotta get the heat gun down and I'll be set.

I got the 320GB slim coming in a week so I should be good. You think I should reapply the artic silver 5 to the new ps3 to prevent this from ever happening to my new one?

Message 332 of 353 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Jun 16, 2012

sorry to here that it seems that you have tottalseparation on the bga's hence instant ylod!

the only way to fix it now is to remove both bga's and reball them.

as for cracking open a new system..............i would wait at least a year just incase the blue ray goes down in that time then at least you can claim a waranty repair from sony.

Message 333 of 353 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15647 posts

Jun 16, 2012

perreajd wrote:

Well I did what you said, but instead I decided to go a good 60 seconds on each area, then ANOTHER 30 seconds on the whole thing with a big circular motion around the 2 spots. Tried to start her up and went back to the YLOD in a second. Well I've given up. Not much more I can do.

On a positive note, I can assemble and reassemble it like a pro now. I disassembled that ***** in 12 minutes(I timed it) And it took me about 15 to reassemble. I should go into the business of fixing ps3's. Just gotta get the heat gun down and I'll be set.

I got the 320GB slim coming in a week so I should be good. You think I should reapply the artic silver 5 to the new ps3 to prevent this from ever happening to my new one?

You can buy an extended warranty from Sony for up to an additional 3 years. But you have to buy it within 6 months of purchase

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 334 of 353 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 18, 2012

How effective is the reball? I'm actually considering doing that and maybe selling either my old PS3 or reselling the slim, because I do want to keep all my old game saves. I'm looking around for prices and it looks like a reball would run me anywhere from 90-100 dollars US, which isn't too bad since a local YLOD reflow was going to run me $80.'

Also, I hear that the 80GB Metal Gear Solid PS3 bundle, which is the one I have, is pretty rare. I haven't checked to see how much I could get for it though. One more quick question, I had some black ops map packs and bf3 map addons that I downloaded off my friends account and saved onto my ps3. Would those still be salvagable, since I know now they you can only put them on 2 ps3's and you have to "deactivate" one of the ps3's to put it on a new one. How would I go about deactivating my broken ps3 to put them on my new slim ps3?

Message 335 of 353 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4216 posts

Jul 24, 2012

So I tried the reflow process and my PS3 was fixed! But then I tried playing my PS3 again today and the fans went crazy fast after 5 minutes of operation. Like it went to the highest level it can, so I turned it off. When I turned it back on, it was the YLOD again. So I tried reflowing and applying new thermal paste hoping it would work. It's still the YLOD. Any possible solution to this fix? Thanks

Message 336 of 353 (1,006 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 12, 2012

Hey man, just to let you know I successsfully resurrected a ylod'd PS3 this afternoon after following your guide. Just wanted to say thanks for saving me a couple of hundred quid! Cheers dude.

Message 337 of 353 (937 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Aug 13, 2012
So does it peramently fix it will it break in 2-3 months?
Message 338 of 353 (933 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Aug 13, 2012

it's only a temporary fix..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 339 of 353 (930 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 23, 2012

I have followed these steps to fix my YLOD and it worked but a month later it came back. So I took it apart to reflow solder again and I got rid of the YLOD but now I can't get an output from the HDMI port. A post on a forum in response to this same problem suggested to repeat the reflowing process since the joint to the GPU may not have been repaired. So I followed this advice and tried the fix again to no avail. The console seems to be functioning properly (fan blows, bluray ejects discs) but somehow I lost the HDMI. Has anyone encountered this problem or have any suggestions on what to do next? It seems like this fix is not permanent but it is something that I am willing to do every month or so if I can get it to work. Any help is much appreciated.

Message 340 of 353 (680 Views)
0 Likes