First Son
1 posts

Re: YLOD REPAIR GUIDE (NEW)

Mar 5, 2009
I have had the YLOD issue lately. I assumed it was the power supply, I was wrong. I tried  a new power supply unit, & new hard drive: didn't fix anything. So I tried to reflow the CPU/RSX chips on the motherboard. I didn't do it properly, and it didn't fix anything, so I went on ebay and purchased the ylod fix repair from JD Electronics(ebay ID: jdelectronone) for $75 + $15 shipping. One day after they received my ps3, they called me to inform me the PS3 YLOD was fixed, and the technician told me on the phone they reflowed the RSX chip and now it is working again!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7509 posts

Mar 5, 2009
I can tell you that this does work.  I repaired my YLOD with a heat gun and it's still running strong.  I actually fixed mine before this awesome guide was introduced to me, but for anyone attempting this I highly recommend using it.
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1689 posts

Mar 29, 2009
It worked for me.  I used a dual Hi/Lo heat gun.  750 F about 400 C on low.  Check the specs.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
PS Vita, PlayStation 3 240GB SSD · PSP · PlayStation 2 · PlayStation
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12748 posts

Mar 29, 2009

gilksy wrote:

z3ga quote "Just read it and don't agree with it. YLoD is a general hardware failure"

i thought that the mother board was generally nown as a piece of hardware!

believe........ go on you now you want too!

But the problem isn't always a problem with the motherboard. There have been cases of YLoD being caused by a corrupt HDD or a fried power supply.

And I believe this could be a fix to a warped motherboard/ bad soldering, but if it is one of the other problems, your technique will do nothing.

Message Edited by Z3GA- on 03-29-2009 07:08 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2009

Z3GA- wrote:

gilksy wrote:

z3ga quote "Just read it and don't agree with it. YLoD is a general hardware failure"

But the problem isn't always a problem with the motherboard. There have been cases of YLoD being caused by a corrupt HDD or a fried power supply.

And I believe this could be a fix to a warped motherboard/ bad soldering, but if it is one of the other problems, your technique will do nothing.

Of course the fix will do nothing if it is another problem but I'm willing to bet that the two main causes of the YLOD are a failed power supply and one of the chips needing to e reflowed.  What does it hurt for someone to try and fix things themselves?  Not everyone thinks that a 150 dollar charge is a bargain for a refurbished unit.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23855 posts

Mar 29, 2009

GatorShea wrote:

Z3GA- wrote:

gilksy wrote:

Of course the fix will do nothing if it is another problem but I'm willing to bet that the two main causes of the YLOD are a failed power supply and one of the chips needing to e reflowed.  What does it hurt for someone to try and fix things themselves?  Not everyone thinks that a 150 dollar charge is a bargain for a refurbished unit.

Unless you've taken apart hundreds, nay, THOUSANDS of PS3's and seen a pattern there's no way for you to definitively say "this is the problem". This is like saying that when every car breaks down it's immediately the water pump. Unless actually get under the hood and examine a snap judgement is akin to throwing a dart blindfolded. Sometimes you hit the target, more often than not you miss completely.

I know gamers implicitly trust what they see on the internet, however as Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School the guy who wrote it could have been a maniac. Now I know someone is going to come back and say that I'm carrying Sony's water, and if you want to believe that because it makes you feel better, that's fine. However recommending a fix for a problem that you have no idea will work is I believe, as most would agree with me, irresponsible. Following it is even more dangerous. As the saying goes; who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 03-29-2009 12:16 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Mar 29, 2009
I'm just attempting this myself atm:smileyhappy:, and I was wondering, ho long does this fix last, days, weeks, basically permenantely? :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2009

CaptainAlbator wrote:

GatorShea wrote:

Z3GA- wrote:

gilksy wrote:

Unless you've taken apart hundreds, nay, THOUSANDS of PS3's and seen a pattern there's no way for you to definitively say "this is the problem". This is like saying that when every car breaks down it's immediately the water pump. Unless actually get under the hood and examine a snap judgement is akin to throwing a dart blindfolded. Sometimes you hit the target, more often than not you miss completely.

I know gamers implicitly trust what they see on the internet, however as Rodney Dangerfield said in Back to School the guy who wrote it could have been a maniac. Now I know someone is going to come back and say that I'm carrying Sony's water, and if you want to believe that because it makes you feel better, that's fine. However recommending a fix for a problem that you have no idea will work is I believe, as most would agree with me, irresponsible. Following it is even more dangerous. As the saying goes; who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Message Edited by CaptainAlbator on 03-29-2009 12:16 PM

Well, someone has to go in there and see what is wrong.  Of course nobody is going to know without opening it up and taking a look to see what the problem might be.  However, if someone is able to go in there and see the signs that a chip has been displaced because of a broken solder then why not let them try and fix it.  If it works it works and they save some money.  Why do you think that more and more people are learning to fix their own cars these days.  Well, it boils down to the fact that they don't want to pay someone 60-90 bucks an hour for labor for something they can repair themself.  The general hardware issues could be a number of things but from what people have said and even JD Electronics (I spoke with one of their reps on the phone) that 90% of the time it is a chip issue and can be fixed.  Even less of the time is either a bad power supply or just a bad motherboard.  This is taken from someone that works on these systems.  If you want to believe that these are slanted statistics and the truth lies elsewhere then go right ahead.   

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Mar 29, 2009

The ps3 in this tutorail has burn markes where the chips got so hot they scored the metal, and it worked...

i113

Z3GA- wrote:

Just read it and don't agree with it. YLoD is a general hardware failure. Another poster showed of a pic of his PSU being completely fried (burn marks) and he had YLoD. Your solution would do him no good.

RIP Michael Jackson 8-29-58 - 6-25-09
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3590 posts

Mar 29, 2009
For step #21 put the isopropyl alcohol on a microfiber cloth and then rub off the old compound.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 353 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes