Fender Bender
4229 posts

Re: YLOD REPAIR GUIDE (NEW)

Apr 5, 2009
I want to try it but I don't know if its my psu or my motherboard. When I power up my ps3 . I hear like a soft click near the psu but I don't know if its just the blu-drive loading something or what it might be. I have a Grizzy h0800 heat gun.
Resistance : Fall of Man Clan "All Mics Clan": Depression
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7509 posts

Apr 5, 2009

I just wanted to let everyone know that I made a video of the process.

Link

0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 18, 2009

My playstation 3 was one of the first purchased and I finally got the YLOD! I work on computers all the time but this is repair is crazy scary!  At the very least I want my trophy saves that I have not logged online and to get my Ghostbusters disc back! hehe.  I will let you know how it goes Gilksy!  Thanks for the information! 

P.S. I don't see you using the no clean flux in the video. Did I miss that part?

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 18, 2009

Gilksy,

1) Do you think it would be beneficial to due two seperate heatings after a cooldown?  This could help ensure it was heated enough right? 

2) Also the place where the scorches are on the panel from the overheat (in your pictures) do not appear on my panel and it doesn't even have the heatshield gasket material located there at all!   Instead a large panel chip (silver in color) above that does have the material and has scorch marks on the back of it?!  Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3725 posts

Jun 18, 2009

Whetzel wrote:

Link

This is the one I used. I wanted to thank you but youtube "suspended" my account.
Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
357 posts

Jun 18, 2009
This will only fix the issue if its solder related: cold joint, short, etc.  If its a bad component, HDD, or power supply this will do nothing except damage your motherboard if you aren't careful.
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7509 posts

Jun 18, 2009

Blazeking wrote:

Whetzel wrote:

Link

This is the one I used. I wanted to thank you but youtube "suspended" my account.

You're welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that your account got suspended.

0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 18, 2009
Thank you wetzel. I actually used your video as well. I sort of watched them both. Unfortunately I didnt use the flux but I have turned it on and it has been on for hours now working fine.  Guess if i have to do it again I will use some no clean flux on it. I actually did the heat process twice for each side and gave it a good 20 minutes between heatings.  It sucks because I got done and I have a small screw left over?!  Guess it must not be super important because it works....for now...
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7509 posts

Jun 18, 2009

KryptoniteDragon wrote:
Thank you wetzel. I actually used your video as well. I sort of watched them both. Unfortunately I didnt use the flux but I have turned it on and it has been on for hours now working fine.  Guess if i have to do it again I will use some no clean flux on it. I actually did the heat process twice for each side and gave it a good 20 minutes between heatings.  It sucks because I got done and I have a small screw left over?!  Guess it must not be super important because it works....for now...

Haha, when you have parts left over that's how you know you did a good job.

And you're welcome.  Glad I could help out.

0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Jun 18, 2009

KryptoniteDragon wrote:

Gilksy,

1) Do you think it would be beneficial to due two seperate heatings after a cooldown?  This could help ensure it was heated enough right? 

2) Also the place where the scorches are on the panel from the overheat (in your pictures) do not appear on my panel and it doesn't even have the heatshield gasket material located there at all!   Instead a large panel chip (silver in color) above that does have the material and has scorch marks on the back of it?!  Any ideas?

1) no stick to the guide it has worked for hundreds of people!

2) i take it yours is not a 60 gig model

3) FLUX

fluxing the board before reflow was not mentioned in my pdf guide and my video guide here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo&feature=channel_page

because both guides were ment to be used once only!

ie during the original process of the pcb board being populated and then ovened by sony

there is a percentage of the original flux left in the flowed solder.......enough to do another reflow of the bga's without the application of extra flux!

if the reflow is done properly you will only need to do this once!

it seems that allot of people through no fault of there own have been not getting the process 100% right therefore have attempted multiple reflows!

be warned when attempting multiple reflow the application of fresh flex is essensial!!!!!!

infact the more you reflow without the flux the weeker the solder joint becomes!!!!

hence the refailure rate!!!

at the moment i do not have any broken ps3's to do a fluxing video because the consoles i have repaired have not and will not fail again for a long time!

i have requested donour consoles from anyone who is willing to help the comunity!!!!!

also i would like to do a removal,reball and refit of the bga's video but alas no donour ones have turned up!

also i have some mod ideas that should completly eradicate the ylod problem but untill i get a console i cannot put them in place and then of course share them with the comunity!!!!

i am answering about 50-60 emails a day at the moment so i am getting to see exactly how this fix is progressing and where it needs to go next so stay tuned!!!!

this thing has gone worldwide! and have made new friends all over the world!

check out these links

http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1656539/ps3_wont_turn_on_you_might_be_a_victim.html?cat=19

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/16/676411

many thanks to all who's bigged me up

over 260 confirmed repaired ps3's using my guides!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 353 (653 Views)
0 Likes