Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Re: YLOD REPAIR GUIDE (NEW)

Jun 18, 2009

riko540 wrote:
This will only fix the issue if its solder related: cold joint, short, etc.  If its a bad component, HDD, or power supply this will do nothing except damage your motherboard if you aren't careful.

sorry to double post but you are wrong!

if you have a power supply fault the pwer supply overheats thus making the internal temp to much for the fan to exhust which in tern results in ylod ie. the bga's cook themselves into dry joints!

so evrn if your ps3 ylods due to the power supply going bad you will still have to follow this guide to reflow those bga's aswell as replace your power supply!

gilksy

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 19, 2009

gilksy wrote:

KryptoniteDragon wrote:

Gilksy,

1) Do you think it would be beneficial to due two seperate heatings after a cooldown?  This could help ensure it was heated enough right? 

2) Also the place where the scorches are on the panel from the overheat (in your pictures) do not appear on my panel and it doesn't even have the heatshield gasket material located there at all!   Instead a large panel chip (silver in color) above that does have the material and has scorch marks on the back of it?!  Any ideas?

1) no stick to the guide it has worked for hundreds of people!

2) i take it yours is not a 60 gig model

3) FLUX

fluxing the board before reflow was not mentioned in my pdf guide and my video guide here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo&feature=channel_page

because both guides were ment to be used once only!

ie during the original process of the pcb board being populated and then ovened by sony

there is a percentage of the original flux left in the flowed solder.......enough to do another reflow of the bga's without the application of extra flux!

if the reflow is done properly you will only need to do this once!

it seems that allot of people through no fault of there own have been not getting the process 100% right therefore have attempted multiple reflows!

be warned when attempting multiple reflow the application of fresh flex is essensial!!!!!!

infact the more you reflow without the flux the weeker the solder joint becomes!!!!

hence the refailure rate!!!

at the moment i do not have any broken ps3's to do a fluxing video because the consoles i have repaired have not and will not fail again for a long time!

i have requested donour consoles from anyone who is willing to help the comunity!!!!!

also i would like to do a removal,reball and refit of the bga's video but alas no donour ones have turned up!

also i have some mod ideas that should completly eradicate the ylod problem but untill i get a console i cannot put them in place and then of course share them with the comunity!!!!

i am answering about 50-60 emails a day at the moment so i am getting to see exactly how this fix is progressing and where it needs to go next so stay tuned!!!!

this thing has gone worldwide! and have made new friends all over the world!

check out these links

http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1656539/ps3_wont_turn_on_you_might_be_a_victim.html?cat=19

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/16/676411

many thanks to all who's bigged me up

over 260 confirmed repaired ps3's using my guides!!!!!!

I heated the boards twice already.  They are working fine but I noticed that my PS3 is very hot from the intercooler system I have on it.  I installed it originally to keep it cool but i think the fans in the rear died and I did not notice.  This had the intercooler ystem actually holding the heat in!  This might be something to warn people about in the future videos.  I am sure I wll have to reflow again but next time I will add flux. 

I do have a 60 gig too. One of the original first release ones.  It simply did not have any of the removable heatsink heat pads on the back of the two sets of black circuits and I had  large extra one in another place not shown on the video.  I do not know why it was different but it is.  This must have been done incorrectly at the manufacturer but the PS3 has worked double time all these years without a problem till now.  I am sure I have gotten three times the normal game time on it over the average person because it is always running.

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2061 posts

Jun 25, 2009

Going to try this tommorrow, Wish me luck

Twitter - https://twitter.com/EthanHubb
Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 26, 2009
I just wanted to point out that since fixing my PS3 with this method it has worked fantastic and been on nearly non-stop since repaired! I just wish there were some better ways to monitor the heat on these things for the future... 
Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Jul 13, 2009
yea i've seen your guide. it's all good. also saw youtube nice work
Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Jul 13, 2009

I'm doing this too based on gilksy's excellent Youtube videos.  Thanks gilksy.  I'm just waiting for the arctic silver to arrive by post.

To those who have successfully applied this method, how long has it been since you fixed it and didn't have any more problems?  I've read other posts where people tried something similar (maybe not following gilksy's guide specifically) and YLOD returned in a few weeks.  Just looking for some confirmation that this will be a good permanent fix and not something I'll have to mess with from now on with this machine.

punisher153
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jul 13, 2009

punisher153 wrote:

I'm doing this too based on gilksy's excellent Youtube videos.  Thanks gilksy.  I'm just waiting for the arctic silver to arrive by post.

To those who have successfully applied this method, how long has it been since you fixed it and didn't have any more problems?  I've read other posts where people tried something similar (maybe not following gilksy's guide specifically) and YLOD returned in a few weeks.  Just looking for some confirmation that this will be a good permanent fix and not something I'll have to mess with from now on with this machine.

You might want to look at gilksy"s fluxing video, that will ensure a proper flow of the solder to your CPU and GPU thus making it more permanent.  However, keeping the ventilation clean is paramount.  I plan on yearly disassembling completely and cleaning the dust out.  When you disassemble yours you won't believe how much dust gets trapped in there.

Good Luck!

Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jul 13, 2009

quirmche wrote:

punisher153 wrote:

You might want to look at gilksy"s fluxing video, that will ensure a proper flow of the solder to your CPU and GPU thus making it more permanent.  However, keeping the ventilation clean is paramount.  I plan on yearly disassembling completely and cleaning the dust out.  When you disassemble yours you won't believe how much dust gets trapped in there.

Good Luck!

Yeah I have taken apart several now and the dust buildup is incredible.  I think my newer house is pretty clean but the buildup is crazy bad!  I think regularly cleaning the inside is not a bad idea considering you don't have to take it completely apart and dust can block the vents badly and lead to heat buildup.
Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jul 13, 2009

gilksy,

I applied your fix and it worked beautifully, thank you!

I have the 60gb ps3 which ran well for over two and a half years.  In it's latter months I noticed the fan awfully loud ( I attribute this to the lack of breathability due to caked on dust stuck to the inside of the "arena" where the CPU and GPU live).

I too feel that there must be some way to moniter the temperature in the "arena" create by the heat sink fins.  The fan is top quality, but when the dust gets trapped in there, that area can not breathe properly.  Thus increasing temperature and subsequently increasing the fan speed and eventually leading to our YLOD.

Is there a anti static spray or cleaner that can be applied to the fins to hasten the build up of dust?

Thanks again!

Message Edited by quirmche on 07-13-2009 07:44 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 353 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Jul 13, 2009
Yippppy!
arrionshadow
Please use plain text.