First Son
1 posts

Re: YLOD REPAIR GUIDE (NEW)

Mar 2, 2012

So I just did the ylod repair, following gilsky's guide. However, I used flux, bent the clamps and added some copper shims to the GPU/CPU.

After putting the PS3 back together, I powered it on and to my delight the XMB appeared. I ejected the game that was in the blue ray drive, then re-inserted it to attempt to play it. Suddenly the PS3 switched off on it's own to standby.

Now, I can turn on the PS3 (Green light comes on) but I get no display!

Can anyone help ?

Message 321 of 353 (468 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 22, 2012

I'm just in the process of trying to repair my YLOD PS3 using your guide. I have taken it apart and gave a good cleaning. Now I just have to wait for my buddy to come over tomorrow with a heat gun and some heat sink compound to finish the job. Fingers crossed!

Message 322 of 353 (468 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 24, 2012

My friends and I spent a few hours today tinkering with the playstation. We couldn't get our hands on a heat gun so we put the motherboard in a preheated oven at 175° C and left it in there for 10 minutes. We put it all back together, rigged up the cables and switched it on and to our surprise it switched on! It got as far as the home screen and froze.

The fan doesn't seem to be working in it, which is probably the initial reason why it YLOD. When you do the fan test though, it works. So my next step is to research fixing that. Thanks for the great guide though! You've put me on the right path to repair!

Message 323 of 353 (468 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 22, 2012

Thank you!  I went through your steps once, put everything back together, and got the YLOD even more quickly.  At this point, I assumed it was probably a bad hard drive.  I replaced the hard drive but got zero joy, same YLOD.  Figuring I had nothing to lose, I followed your steps again, but turned up the heat on the heat gun.  This time my PS3 sat up and walked away from the operating table.  It lives!!!!

This is an original launch ps3 and I thought it was dead and buried. 

thanks again!

Message 324 of 353 (468 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 6, 2012

Thanks so much for your guide. I've gotten to the part where I'm supposed to remove the fan and heatsink. My ps3 seems to look different. My fan is in a black plastic case, and I'm not sure how it comes off. I have the orginal ps3. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Message 325 of 353 (468 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Jun 7, 2012

sound like you have a 40gb system there try usin my 40gb stripdown guide on you tube

Message 326 of 353 (469 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 14, 2012

Hey gilksy, or anyone else who could help me. I used your guide, obviously , to fix my ps3 ylod. I followed it to a T and used compressed air and alcohol wipes to wipe down everything as I was taking it apart. After the reassembly, I turned on the ps3 hoping it would be green. It was, for about 30 seconds, then would shut right back off and then a blinking red light stays until I hit the power button again. It keeps repeating this. Also, it doesn't show on the TV when it's connected. I don't know if it's the HDMI port maybe or if my ps3 is just ruined now. I don't know if I over did it on the heat gun, too. Some of the black chips started bubbling and melting a little so I tried to pull the heat gun away from it for a little. I did each side and area for around 15 seconds like you stated in the video, but I also don't have a set temperature on the heat gun. I let it heat up about 2 minutes on its highest setting then set it to the motherboard.

I am willing to attempt it again, but I'm just wondering if it's even worth it or if my ps3 is just defunct now. Thanks so much for your guide and it was actually pretty cool pulling everything apart like that.

Message 327 of 353 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Jun 14, 2012

redo the reflow @400degrees celcius and an extra 10 seconds on the heat

also apply liquid flux to the under neath of those bga's before reflow

use NO CLEAN FLUX!

follow my ytube refluxing guide! here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRReDIHTe0

dont worry about the the four ics that may have bubbled its just the casing and they will still work fine!

just concerntrate the reflow on the two main bga's

G.l.o.d is usually caused by the rsx bga not fully reflowing properly

but before you try the above you may wish to reset the video settings by accessing the diagnostics menu just incase............. this has sometimes been the case in my experience.

good luck

Gilksy-Inside.png

Message 328 of 353 (469 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 15, 2012

The only problem is I don't know what temperature the heat gun is actually at. I would assume that it's probably within the specified range that you stated in the guide, hopefully. I ripped it open again and I realized I applied WAY TOO MUCH, thermal paste(using artic silver 5) and I think that may also be a reason why it wasn't working. I also didn't spread it like you did because with artic silver you're supposed to just put a dab in the middle and then just layed the fan on top of it to prevent air bubbles, but rhere was way too much. I think some may have gotten on the motherboard which I heard is very bad, so I tried using rubbing alcohol to get as much off as I could. After my second attempt, I did about 15 seconds again on the specific areas you mentioned in the guide again. I may try it a third time with using the heat gun longer, though. After heating, I put a lot less of the artic silver on, just a little dab in the middle and then reassmbled everything in accordance. Same exact thing happened.

Is there a reason why nothing shows on the screen, though, when I turn it on? I tried doing the GLOD fix, but still nothing shows. Also, it still does have the YLOD. It shows a yellow light quickly and then goes to red. The the red light blinks until I hit the power button again. I think my ps3 is just done for. May just have to splurge on the slim uncharted 3 bundle.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Is my ps3 still salvagable?

Message 329 of 353 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Jun 15, 2012

ok seems like you have a tough one there time for plan z lol!

reflow the two bga's (processors) only

from the topside ( heatsink compound side)

@ 400 degrees celcius and for 50 seconds each!!!!

use flux on both bgas before heating!!!!

Message 330 of 353 (469 Views)
0 Likes