Mar 28 2013
By: themisanthrope Wastelander 697 posts

YLOD... Who should I send it for a reball?

0 replies 1654 views Edited Mar 28, 2013

My understanding is that Golphermods no longer offers reball services, although I did contact them anyway about it. EE seems to have shady reviews along with CC although EE seems 2nd most reliable..

I've done all I could to prevent a YLOD.. Right after my Motorstorm 80 gig phat went out of warranty I opened it up, changed the fan to a 19 blade from a 60 gig model, changed the power supply to a cooler one from a 40 gig, and cleaned the heatsinks and replaced paste with Artic Silver... 3 years later..  I get an YLOD while watching a DVD... I will say I think my modding added a few years because the board was looking toasty back then when I opened it.. anyway I'm very hestitant to just get rid of this machine when I still have hope and occasionally get the urge to play some ps2 games(I do have a launch ps2 so no, don't tell me to suck it up and get the slim and buy a ps2). 

As of now, who are the most credible guys to send my phatty for a reball using lead solder? I'd do it myself but I don't have the heating deck equipment to keep the board at an even temperature.

I'll probably get a super slim just because the bundles are cheap now but I still want my phatty.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 1 (1,654 Views)
0 Likes