Mar 09 2014
By: HoodlumX Uncharted Territory 1363 posts

**Your Top 5 Games of the Generation(PS3/360 Era)**

[ Edited ]
53 replies 492 views Edited Mar 9, 2014

With the PS4 and Xbox One in full motion, the cycle for the "current gen" consoles is starting to wind down. We've had well over 7 years to delve into the PS3, Xbox 360, and the Nintendo Wii. We've all got to play some amazing games, but which ones stood above the rest? 

What are your top 5 games of the generation?

**My Top 5 Games of the Generation**

1. Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar's masterpiece. Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game, top to bottom. Everything from the story to the gameplay is just incredible. This game is one of the few games that left a big impression on me. I played the game so much that I literally became sick of playing it. 

2. Uncharted 2 - Probably the best sequel of the generation. They raised the bar in every catergory, and took the Uncharted franchise to new heights. Just an overall gorgeous game with great characters and a solid multiplayer. 

3. Fallout 3 - My favorite RPG of the generation. I easily put over 200 hours into Fallout 3. I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff, so Fallout 3 was right up my alley. Though it suffered from glitches and a few freezes from time to time, it didn't stop me from loving the game to pieces. Fallout 3 offered quantity with quality. This game made me a Bethesda fan for life. 

4. Call of Duty 4 - People can say what they want about Call of Duty, but Modern Warfare was a force to be reckoned with. Before Activision milked the series, Infinity Ward gave us arguably one of the best multiplayer experiences of the generation. This game also offered an outstanding campaign. It might be due to the fact that it was my first PS3 title, but the game as a whole just floored me. COD4 is still the best COD to date for this generation. 

5. The Last of Us - Do I need to even explain why this game is amazing? I beat it at least 4 times, and played the hell out of the multiplayer. Simply put, it's one of the best titles of the generation. 

Optional: 

Honorable Mentions: Skyrim, GTA V, and Bioshock. 

Favorite Downloadable Titles: Limbo, Stacking, and Flower. 

Edit: Updated Labels. Learn more about Labels here. -HS

Message 1 of 54 (492 Views)
Last Guardian
11752 posts

Re: **Your Top 5 Games of the Generation(PS3/360 Era)**

Mar 9, 2014

This would probably be mine from the last generation of video games:

5. Flower

4. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

1. Gears of War

Message 2 of 54 (481 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
789 posts

Mar 9, 2014
The Last of Us
Mass Effect 1 (but really the entire trilogy)
Fallout 3
TES Oblivion
Call of Duty 4 (even though the series sucks now)
Permanently left the PS Forums because of a trolling MVP and poor moderation.
Message 3 of 54 (470 Views)
Sackboy
480 posts

Mar 9, 2014
5. GTA V
4. Red Dead Redemption
3. Beyond Two Souls
2. Uncharted 2
1. The Last Of Us
Message 4 of 54 (462 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Mar 9, 2014

This list is based on the games that I've played this generation.

1. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale - This game recieved much mixed reviews and was cursed to be a knock off of Smash Bros. But not only does this game celebrate the history of Playstation, but it also has a very addicting gameplay that is very enjoyable. It is simple like Smash, but combo heavy like other fighters. The variety that the familiar items and stages can turn the tables easily. And if you get board, you can easily play as a different character as each chracter plays differently. Yes, it doesn't have characters like Crash or Sypro, but the entire cast are notable chracters worthy of this game (most of them).

2. Ni No Kuni - A JRPG with a lot of emotion, I literally shed a tear at the beginning of this game. Not only is this game able to inflict strong emotions, but the art style is basically eye candy as it is beautiful and stunning. I don't even watch anime and I got so caght into the anime scenes. And then there's the very fun combat system. I didn't like how the familiars and owners shared the same health. But it was able to make this too easy, which helped. The characters and settings were vast and interesting. And it was very similiar to pokemon as you caught and trained your own mosters to battle with.

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - I was late on getting this game and I regret it. Increidble intergration of stealth and combat as you travel in a futuristic world filled with exploration and danger. There was so much fluidity in this game that you can beat this game any way, wheter stealth or combat. The voice acting was incredible as they fit their characters perfectly. The surroundings were very interesting as they implored you to explore and to discover, using your upgradable robotic parts. What I liked the most of it was the themes and ideas that it presented. Especially in the ending, it was very thought provoking. What roles should the people have in society? Are there people that should take charge and lead or should this be a responability of the people?

4. Sleeping Dogs - I've always been a fan of mostly anything related to Square Enix. This game was no exception. I do not know where to start. First, the Asian pop culture. Exploring Hong Kong was so amazing, especially driving around with my stolen car playing authentic Asian music. The characters were also very impressive indeed as I wanted to know more about them. The open world sandbox was huge as exploration led to many rewards. The combat sytem was very fun and addicting, especially if you go kung fu on the thugs while wearing Bruce Lee's jumpsuit. I was glad that guns didn't play a huge role as it would have made the game less exciting. Anyone can easily shoot, but can you kick a person and then drag their head into an air vent where their head would be smashed? And last but not least, Asian Kareoke!

5. Starhawk - Probably one of the most excting third-person shooters I've played this whole year. The single player was a bit weak. But that was only because it had too many defending portions, in my opinion. The actions was very exciting and the story was something I enjoyed. But the real meat of this was the multiplayer. Some games just copy and paste a generic multiplayer formation. This game was an innovation to mutiplayer. Whether it was capture the flag or an epic dogfight in space, this game had it all. 

Honorable Mentions:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 - I didn't add this on the main list because it technically wasn't from this generation. But it is something worth buying. After all these year, this HD colelction made me love my all time favorite series even more. And with the Final Mix additons and enhanced graphics, it all felt like a brand new experiance. 

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - This was another game that attacked me emotionally. Just the first few minutes made me cry. Seriously, why did they make it so sad? There was a lot of thought provoking moments in this game. The game itself was wonderful to play too. The puzzles were clever and the story was straightforward. The controls took some time to get used to. But it wasn't a problem. 

InFAMOUS/inFAMOUS 2 - How doesn't like super powers? Not only did both of these games have share a memorable story, but there was so much freedom. If I wanted to slaughter people, I could do it. If I wanted suck the life from someone, I could do it. And with the karma system and multiple ways to paly the story, it made it all exciting.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - I was in the game. I was reborn. I because this epic guy with chamrakas and a scary sword. With this game, you can have so much flexability. The story was great. The enemies were very likable, but a bit limited. But the combat was by far the best part of the game. And the customization made it as if I was in the game doing whatever I wanted.

I would add more to the list. But then it would take the first page here.

Message 5 of 54 (459 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Mar 9, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I forgot about MGS4. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm not even a fan of the series. I would put it in my top 30. 

Message 6 of 54 (454 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
973 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

This isn't easy trimming your top list down to 5, ugh. Will have to go with the most impact. Not in order:

• COD: MW (Anyone that loves perfected FPS console shooters has to have this one at the top, regardless of how stale the series has become.)
  • Uncharted 3 (Again, I feel like I am one of the few who enjoyed this one more than #2. 2 Was phenominal, but I loved the environment and everything else in 3.)
  • The Last of Us
  • RDR (I wanted a western GTA.. and I got it. I never finished the game unfortunately, but that was during a time I was increasing my backlog by 1000%. The game got lost in the pile, I lost interest due to it. There is one scene about halfway through the game where you escape on a horse... and the music playing during that time was beautiful and perfect. It just added to the game, story, and feeling you had at the time with character development. Was just perfect. Those who played will know.)
  • Mass Effect 2 (I loved the series. The characters were awesome. Having to pick a crew and make decisions was tough, but made a good experience.)

Close:  GTA V, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Uncharted 2, Gears of War 1, Halo 3, BioShock Infinite.

// PSN ID: BRIANBURNSRED | twitter: @juandeag
Message 7 of 54 (449 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1422 posts

Mar 9, 2014

Hard to pick just 5 but

1.The Last of  us

2. Uncharted : Trilogy

3.Battlefield BC2

4.Bioshock Infinite or Trilogy

5.Tomb Raider

but lots of others . wow a top 5 list and no GTA. lol

Message 8 of 54 (441 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

5: The Last of Us - I guess everyone here knows everything there is to know about this game. I got this as a present from someone and expected just some overhyped nonsense or even worse a David Cage like non-game with nothing to offer as it hides behind graphics and pseudo-intellectual storytelling. I was glad I was wrong. We all know how great the story is, how the environment, themes, characters and so forth paint quite the picture. I was impressed (along with all those things) with the games stealth based gameplay, and on harder settings (which is the only way I play anything) how limited the resources are requiring you to think out your attacks. Add to that a surprisingly good MP requiring strategic teamwork and it's no wonder this was the 2013 GOTY.

4: MAG - I've had a pretty rocky relationship with online multiplayer gaming since returning to gaming after about a 7 year hiatus. Most the time I found that I just didn't find many MP games interesting enough to put in the amount of time, effort and dedication for a single game to become good enough to hold my own. MAG was able to keep me entertained for quite some time though and I'd say it's my 2nd favorite MP game of all time next to TFC from back in the day. While I had my complaints about a few details (mainly SVER, those evil **bleep**) the game's map design, controls, game modes and over all structure where what I wish more MP FPS games had. The huge player count IMO is the true natural evolution of MP shooters along with big maps and objective based teamwork. It was everything COD and the like are not, and could never be. I fear though it was a unique moment in time for gaming, when only a select few would know how special it was and we will never truly see anything like it again.

3: Mass Effect Trilogy - Technically 3 different games, but I'll fudge the rules and put them together since it makes sense from my perspective. I had heard of this series for quite some time but never got around to it. Didn't even realize 100% what it was about or what genre it even was, other than people simply told me I'd love these games. So when I found the Trilogy box set for PS3 I took what I thought was a gamble at the time and got it. It didn't take but couple hours for me to fall in love with these games. Playing the series in order, one after another was one of the most epic gaming experiences of my 27 years of gaming. From the enjoyable squad based RPG shooter gameplay, to the storyline, the characters and to the way my choices carried weight from one game to another, it was so perfect. While, like many, I was a bit disappointed by the ending of 3, it still made sense to me and the ride was so amazing I didn't take it as bad as most. 

2: Dark Souls - I remember on another forum talking about how much hand-holding modern games have around the start of 12 and being told about this game. After a few months I found a used copy at gamestop, it was cheap so I got it. I'm now obsessed. This is what gaming SHOULD BE and I'm glad at least one developer out there hasn't forgot why us aging gamers game in the first place, for a challenge. Along with the game's mature level of difficulty, the over all themes and dark fantasy setting is hard not to fall in love with for anyone who enjoys things with a more macabre aesthetic. Along with that it's action RPG gameplay is quite addicting with it's obvious AD&D influences, which appeal to me. Add in some cool level design, awesome boss battles and innovative multiplayer for a truly unique gaming experience.

1: Fallout: New Vegas - Took the best parts of the original games and added it to the style Fallout 3 laid down to create a true gaming masterpiece. Unfortunately will be overlooked or seen as second rate by the "dudebro" gamers since it had more depth than those types can handle. Multiple path open world RPG with an awesome story. More than just simple binary choices like the previous title, your decisions had serious weight. Also the introduction of "hardcore" mode makes me want that as a standard option in more games.

Honorable Mentions - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, X-COM:Enemy Unknown, Tales of Xillia, Tekken 6, Demon's Souls, Twisted Metal, Borderlands 2, Fallout 3, Bayonetta, Batman: Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dishonored, Bioshock 2, GTAV, Red Dead Redemption

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 9 of 54 (437 Views)
Gaming Beast
2124 posts

Mar 9, 2014
Gears of **bleep** Wars. Sony fan boys missed out xD
Praise the Sun!
Message 10 of 54 (286 Views)
0 Likes