Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 06 2012
By: sim1113 First Son 1 posts

blinking RLOD. Reflowed second time. Need advice/strategies from those who have fixed ylod before.

2 replies 134 views Edited Nov 6, 2012
Ok so I have an older fat model, 40 gb. It crapped out on me with YLOD about 9 months ago, I used the oven reflow method with kester flux and arctic silver paste, and it has worked like a charm since. But recently the fan started going into overdrive rather shortly, and with increasing frequency, until RLOD this time, not YLOD. It wouldn't power on anymore and I had to do the fan test to get my disc back.

I just reflowed it again, same way, and it runs again. But the fan will go into high gear within the first few minutes of gameplay, it will still run, but only on games such as COD WaW and resistance 3, battlefield 3 will make it immediately shut off with RLOD once the online match begins. I know this is due to BF3 using more power from the console. It's not having enough time to get hot, however, so it isn't really overheating. I also have a small desk fan aimed right at it at all times, and the top cover is removed for ventilation. Dust is not an issue as I have just cleaned it.

So I am asking, any of you have experience with this stuff? I'm looking for any tips or advice on a fix for this? It can't possibly be overheating, so maybe its just the GPU becoming unsoldered again? I might try another reflow if nothing else.

Note: this console was a refurb purchased from gamestop 3 years ago, so calling Sony was never an option to begin with.

Thanks for any input!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6381 posts

Re: blinking RLOD. Reflowed second time. Need advice/strategies from those who have fixed ylod befor

Nov 6, 2012

sim1113 wrote:
Ok so I have an older fat model, 40 gb. It crapped out on me with YLOD about 9 months ago, I used the oven reflow method with kester flux and arctic silver paste, and it has worked like a charm since. But recently the fan started going into overdrive rather shortly, and with increasing frequency, until RLOD this time, not YLOD. It wouldn't power on anymore and I had to do the fan test to get my disc back.

I just reflowed it again, same way, and it runs again. But the fan will go into high gear within the first few minutes of gameplay, it will still run, but only on games such as COD WaW and resistance 3, battlefield 3 will make it immediately shut off with RLOD once the online match begins. I know this is due to BF3 using more power from the console. It's not having enough time to get hot, however, so it isn't really overheating. I also have a small desk fan aimed right at it at all times, and the top cover is removed for ventilation. Dust is not an issue as I have just cleaned it.

So I am asking, any of you have experience with this stuff? I'm looking for any tips or advice on a fix for this? It can't possibly be overheating, so maybe its just the GPU becoming unsoldered again? I might try another reflow if nothing else.

Note: this console was a refurb purchased from gamestop 3 years ago, so calling Sony was never an option to begin with.

Thanks for any input!

it doesnt matter  if it reburnishedl call sony ask them to   fix it or swwap for up to date  mode for the said costl.. Becuase your going to much  when  you shouldnt be. ANd the  money spent  is worth in the long haul.. **bleep** luck to you and happy gaming inthe future

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (128 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Re: blinking RLOD. Reflowed second time. Need advice/strategies from those who have fixed ylod befor

Nov 6, 2012

A reflow is a temporary or band-aid solution to a bigger problem.... you need a reball done, or get a brand new PS3 and get an extended warranty

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (123 Views)
0 Likes