Reply
Jun 11 2005
By: PITBULL-79 Gaming Beast 2381 posts
Offline

g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

10 replies 28 views Edited Jun 11, 2005
i was watching g4tv tonight and they said yes it is confirmed that the ps3 well be running linux , but there still confused about what ken kutaragi ment about the hdd.
,
 
,
One for the Options List: The PlayStation 3’s hard drive will not be included, but it will ship with Linux
,
 
,,
 
,,
 
,
dont know if anyone  say the show or posted this already .. havnt seen it yet
Message 1 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 03/20/2003
Offline
12042 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005


wrote:
i was watching g4tv,tonight and they said yes it is confirmed that the ps3 well be running,linux , but there still confused about what ken kutaragi ment about the,hdd.
 
One for the Options List: The PlayStation 3’s hard drive will not be included, but it will ship with Linux
 
 
 
dont know if anyone  say the show or posted this already .. havnt seen it yet

This,has been posted and there are even topics going as far that windows XP,will run etc. But it does seem to have a PC interface possibly instead,of the usual console home... Anyway heres the logic I get out of it.,Second thought is that No matter how big it is even though no one will,touch the hdd its still going to get critisized. However this is really,where I think he's coming from. With the library of games then 80,,120GB+ wont honestly be big enough. The hdd at a large capacity would,be used by more Developers to create more games like FFXI wich require,to be ran like a PC and downloaded onto an hdd.  Anyway given a,big hdd more and more developers would take the chance to make the,games run off the hdd instead of making console software. And given the,vast variety and huge library of games no matter what size hdd was,placed in the PS3 it would be to small. Or perhaps going this far would,bring the console way to close to the PC. Now I know its heading there,already in terms of Processor and Graphics Card but this is a good move,because of course the Cell is a magnificent and extremely Powerflull,chip and both Nvidea and ATI already have cutting edge technology and,are leading the way into the future graphics of gaming. Now Im so-so on,caring if not the PS3 does have a hdd. However with all you can do I am,leaning towards the fact that Sony should take a 5-10 MB ram for,storage so people can at least save games and download patched on the,PS3.... Anyway he does have a good point about a hdd. It could be 240,GB and still not be enough for gamers in this market due to the,abundance of games and fact that developers, especially ones who do PC,version then port will simply make one game to be ran off the hdd and,after a year no matter how big the hdd it will be full... Anyway I,think its a pretty logical and good reason. Granted no one but the Sony,and Ken actually know the true reasoning.... 
Message 2 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 01/19/2005
Offline
2381 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005

,
,
,sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

,
,
, wrote:
,
i was watching g4tv tonight and they said yes it is confirmed that the ps3 well be running linux , but there still confused about what ken kutaragi ment about the hdd.
,
 
,
One for the Options List: The PlayStation 3’s hard drive will not be included, but it will ship with Linux
,
 
,,
 
,,
 
,
dont know if anyone  say the show or posted this already .. havnt seen it yet
,
,
This has been posted and there are even topics going as far that windows XP will run etc. But it does seem to have a PC interface possibly instead of the usual console home... Anyway heres the logic I get out of it. Second thought is that No matter how big it is even though no one will touch the hdd its still going to get critisized. However this is really where I think he's coming from. With the library of games then 80, 120GB+ wont honestly be big enough. The hdd at a large capacity would be used by more Developers to create more games like FFXI wich require to be ran like a PC and downloaded onto an hdd.  Anyway given a big hdd more and more developers would take the chance to make the games run off the hdd instead of making console software. And given the vast variety and huge library of games no matter what size hdd was placed in the PS3 it would be to small. Or perhaps going this far would bring the console way to close to the PC. Now I know its heading there already in terms of Processor and Graphics Card but this is a good move because of course the Cell is a magnificent and extremely Powerflull chip and both Nvidea and ATI already have cutting edge technology and are leading the way into the future graphics of gaming. Now Im so-so on caring if not the PS3 does have a hdd. However with all you can do I am leaning towards the fact that Sony should take a 5-10 MB ram for storage so people can at least save games and download patched on the PS3.... Anyway he does have a good point about a hdd. It could be 240 GB and still not be enough for gamers in this market due to the abundance of games and fact that developers, especially ones who do PC version then port will simply make one game to be ran off the hdd and after a year no matter how big the hdd it will be full... Anyway I think its a pretty logical and good reason. Granted no one but the Sony and Ken actually know the true reasoning.... 
,

,
,
,

lol wow , did you think of that one on your own ... lol sorry but come on look at the xbox , the devoloper have the hdd to use there but they dont .  and the xbox does great with on in there and first off this wasnt really about the hdd . it was more like linux for the ps3 . g4tv confirmed it tonight right now . just thought i would be nice and share it with people that havnt seen it yet ...

,

one more thing , if the ps3 isnt going to come with the hdd then tell me this once you buy the ps3 and you can say downlaod movies and music , where are you going to store it ?? can you anwser that on ... and dont tell me a 2 gig memory card , couse that coast the same as a 80 to a 120 gb hdd .. and 2 gb isnt anuff for alot of music and movies ...

,
Message 3 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/11/2005
Offline
158 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005
Can somebody please explain to me why having Linux on a video game system is good? It seems useless to me. This open source crap isn't all it's cracked up to be. Any of you out there tried to use Blender the wanna be Maya or maybe KDE and Gnome... Nuff said!
Message 4 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
WWX
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/20/2003
Offline
1915 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005


OSUbowen wrote:
Can somebody please,explain to me why having Linux on a video game system is good? It seems,useless to me. This open source crap isn't all it's cracked up to be.,Any of you out there tried to use Blender the wanna be Maya or maybe,KDE and Gnome... Nuff said!

If the PS3 comes with Linux.
,You can purchase a very, very, powerful production studio for $300.
,That would rock!!!
,
,Something like a Blitz Basic Linux port would be amazing.
,For under $500 you could have an entire video game production studio.
Message 5 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/11/2005
Offline
158 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005
But Blitz Basic doesn't cost that much and Blender and Gimp are free. All that software I mentioned would cost like $80. And besides, Blitz Basic is for 2D not 3D games. I still don't see the hype behind having linux on a game console.
Message 6 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/05/2002
Offline
8788 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005

,
,
,OSUbowen wrote:
Can somebody please explain to me why having Linux on a video game system is good? It seems useless to me. This open source crap isn't all it's cracked up to be. Any of you out there tried to use Blender the wanna be Maya or maybe KDE and Gnome... Nuff said!
,
,

,
Yes it is, you just gotta know what your doing.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 06/08/2004
Offline
2795 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005
compare the pricing
,
,GIMP = Free Photoshop = $600
,Blender = Free Maya = $1000
,Linux (any flavor anymore except red hat) = Free Windows XP = $400
,
,PS3 running Linux with all the free stuff = $300
,PC Running all the free stuff = $400
,
,Since the PS3 can't run windows nativly can't compare it
,PC Running Windows XP and the pay software = $2500
,
,Free software that can do almost anything the pay software can do is,rather amazing and it sure is a hell of a lot better then paying $600,for a peice of software you rarely use.
,
,But I am with you (OSUbowen) when you say what is the point of having an OS running on a home Console?
,
,It's not like we would be able to install Half-Life 2, Starcraft, Doom 3, GTA San andreas and run it on the PS3
,
Message 8 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/09/2003
Offline
1898 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005
If you think any of the,ps3 average users will use or even know how to use Linux there are in,for big hit. People don't know how easy they have it with windows,2000/XP and Mac OS X.

I'm,using Linux right now at work Suse 9.2 and I juse Gentoo at home. Its,not as easy as people thing at first, there is along learning cerv and,compiling some well know apps is a nightmare cus there dependencies,have dependencies and they have dependencies appon dependencies.
Message 9 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/02/2005
Offline
5098 posts
 

Re: g4tv just said linux for ps3 ....

Jun 11, 2005
Message 10 of 11 (28 Views)
Reply
0 Likes