PlayStation MVP
3975 posts

Re: how do you prefer your games physical or digital?

Aug 8, 2013
I've listed the pros and cons of physical and digital games multiple times over, and don't feel like doing that yet again, so I will instead opt to share my personal preference, which is the point of this thread anyways. I like to own my games, so I prefer to have physical copies. I'm quite fond of having a collection of physical games, and some games come with swag, but only with the physical version. I also only have an 80G HDD on my ps3(something I'm looking into changing), and 8G of vita memory, so it helps to have my games on a disk or cart or sorts.

Most of all though, I just enjoy the experience of going to a store and buying a game. I don't even shop at my closest EB Games, because I know the people at the one that's a little further away, at a major mall. I like driving down, getting lunch at the food court, and picking up a pre-order, or just shopping around, and finding a game that interests me. The people who work there are nice, and their service is great. There's another store I like to shop at that sells all kinds of games and systems, both current and retro, and is a great place to stumble across rare finds, without having to search for them online. It is also the only place I know of, where I can pre-order psp games, like Sweet Fuse. Heck, it even sells a type of candy from Mexico that I've taken a liking to, called candy stix. I like to support small businesses like that, but it is a little further out of my way, and I don't like the intersection by it(I really think they need to put a streetlight in there). I just like the retail experience, so I can't full support an all digital future.

I do, however, like having the choice of digital. As a late adopter of the psp, I collected physical copies whenever I could, but I was never willing to go too far out of my way to acquire them, and even amazon isn't without its cons, so going for a digital copy was often more convenient. Now that psp games have been phased out entirely at all major retailers, the only physical copies of psp games I acquire are the ones I pre-order at the store I mentioned, and I think Sweet Fuse will be my last(though it's hard to say). If I am interested in a psp game at this point, I may as well go with a digital copy. Digital downloads run better than umds anyways. When it comes to retro games, I can almost guarantee I don't have the system anymore, if I ever did to begin with, and am not committed enough to invest in one, and physical copies to play the games, so digital downloads are a great way for me to experience those games. Of course, there is the rare disc compilation like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and I love those too, but otherwise, it's all digital for me. I do have a ps2, and a b/c ps3, but I don't really add to my ps2 collection anymore, unless I can find some games for cheap that aren't available for download, or as part of an HD collection, and they happen to interest me. I doubt I'll be investing in more ps2 games, but I didn't expect to acquire Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, and Devil Summoner 1 earlier this year, so who knows?

Of course, I will not deny myself the opportunity to play games that are either only available as digital downloads, or only available as digital downloads in my region. I'm not a huge import gamer, but I don't mind investing in the occasional region exclusive psn download from another region. I support a future where physical copies and digital downloads continue to co-exist, and that's where I stand, but most of the time, I'm all about having physical copies.
Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 69 (119 Views)
Sackboy
464 posts

Aug 8, 2013

Also if you play a lot of games, physical is better because you don't risk running out of hdd space. I have a 500 gb PS3 and already down to about 230 gb left because of all the free games from PS Plus and a few digital games I actually downloaded. Of course and easy solution is to buy either a bigger HDD or an external or two. Which I do plan on doing soon (once I get a job, sucks being jobless). 

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 69 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
408 posts

Aug 8, 2013

LAST_REAL_GAMER wrote:

Digital for a few reasons.

1. Im not as materialistic as alot of you **** are

2. No one can break into where i live and steal all my **bleep**.

3. If they did steal my system, im only out the price of a console. Not all my games. 

4. Too much clutter

5. Dont have to worry about scratches/cleaning

6. Less loading

Edit: removed inflammatory language

U--J

Here, here

this guy know what he's talking about.

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 69 (107 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6952 posts

Aug 8, 2013

Digital.

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 69 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Aug 8, 2013
I think theres a place for both digital and physical discs but there should be differences. Not in the game it self but cost and in the rights managment. like for example physical will always cost more and shlould for what you pay for. Like the right to a physical copy to trade resale or to just keep 4 ever if you like and no one can tell or make you have drm for them because you have bought that right to own that copy of last of us. Sure your game isnt guaranteed to work forever but that should only be due to consoles dieing off or lack of backwards compatibility. Ok now with digital it should always be cheaper because first not paying for rights to resell it after your done your not paying for a box and disc along with instruction guide and all material spent to make it all nice a pretty. As of now you arent able to lend digital either all down to the fact its tied to you screen name and account and should you cancel you lose it. Sure with digital its way cheaper but you just get game play and physical you get to do alot more. So its just upto a gamer and should ever stay only physical or all digital. In time we will get an all digital playstation and ya it will be cheaper but we also will get one that has a physical drive. Sonys has siad this and knows how important both are .
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 69 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Aug 8, 2013

I prefer a disk. 

Reason1: I will run out of disk space. Games are huge and over the years I play alot of different games. I know memory prices are going down, but game sizes are also going up. I'd rather use that space for music and pictures, or all the saved games I will also aquire. 

Reason2: I like looking at my game library. Having a shelf of games and asking myself what I wanna play is nice. 

Reason 3: if something happens to my system I like having a hard copy of my games that will survive. Especially with this last gen of ps3 and 360 where both consoles had their own red rings of death. 

Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 69 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
151 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Zizzy477 wrote:

Personally, I prefer physical copies. All my life I've loved having a physical game collection and things cover art and collectors additions. Something about not having the game physically makes me feel like I don't really own it...

That's funny because when you buy digital you own it forever, there are no trade-ins. But I feel you I like physical but I get my multiplayer games digital unless they are crazy large downloads

Playstation Money 200
Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 69 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Excellent question.  I prefer digital, because of the convenience of quitting and starting different games without dealing with physical media.  Also, I am a PlayStation Plus Subscriber, it is insane to pass up all those free games.  This is also good for my trophy level.

Don't get me wrong, I think that physical media is useful.  For example; currently, I have The Last of Us Blueray Disk in my PS3, I play for a few hours nightly, but when I get stuck or, want to take a break I like to play Jet Set Radio, or Zen Pinball, or Just Cause 2 or Infamous...  There is one problem though, disk space.  I have in my download list Uncharted 3, and Battlefield 3, because I need more disk space to download then.  You see I purchased my PS3 Sept. 2009, I think I upgraded from my original 160 Gb HDD to 500 Gb the beginning of 2011.  Now I think I need to upgrade to a 1 Tb 2.5" SATA drive.  Before I do that though, I am going to experiment with converting my 160 Gb HDD into an external hard drive and see if I can store some of my digital movies and videos to the external drive.  Spending $10.00 on an external drive case is a lot cheaper then ~$75.00 on a new hard drive.  I could buy an new game for the difference.  Thank you for the question, you helped me develop a plan of attack for my problem.

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 69 (85 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3909 posts

Aug 9, 2013

JMBlakk wrote:

Zizzy477 wrote:

Personally, I prefer physical copies. All my life I've loved having a physical game collection and things cover art and collectors additions. Something about not having the game physically makes me feel like I don't really own it...

That's funny because when you buy digital you own it forever, there are no trade-ins. But I feel you I like physical but I get my multiplayer games digital unless they are crazy large downloads

The reason I'm not sold on digital, is because it is foolish to believe that PSN / PlayStation will be around for as long as I (we) live...

I will feel bad for those people who went all-in for digital, if 10-20 years down the road -- they can't even re-download any of their games. They won't even have the option to sell their old games / collection, like you have with physical.

Obviously there are smaller / indie titles that are digital only, so I have no choice.

But, if it has a physical copy, I buy that > digital.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 69 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Aug 9, 2013
i will forever choose physical too and never go digital.
just imagine when PS4 comes out you might have o download 50GB games o.O
Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 69 (57 Views)
0 Likes