Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 08 2012
By: derico8 First Son 2 posts

how many PS Vitas can i have on one psn account?

20 replies 18162 views Edited Feb 8, 2012

i was wandering whether i can use two PS vitas on one psn account. 

Message 1 of 21 (18,162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3561 posts

Re: how many PS Vitas can i have on one psn account?

Feb 8, 2012

Yes. PSN allows you to use account on as many devices as you want. If you buy stuff, you can have 2 handhelds activated at the same time with the content.

Message 2 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Feb 8, 2012

You can have up to 2 PS Vitas linked to your account at any given time.

That being said, you can only physically play on one at a time because the games/saves/memory card/trophies are linked to your PSN and you can only be signed in on one device at a time, so no more game sharing at all sadly because it is no longer linked to your system and/or account like the psp and ps3 were.

For example on the PSP, I could buy one copy of Little Big Planet on my one PSP, then hand that to my wife, and let her use her account then go download it on her PSP under my account, so we could both play.

For Vita what happens is yes I can register both Vitas but only the one with my account can play the game. So really the only use of the 2 system limit is if you say had a vita break or need repair, or if you actually actively used 2 systems, ie: left one at your cottage, and one at home sorta thing.

Confusing? Definitely!

It helps keep game sharing out of the picture but remains fair to actual owners. It's bad for families wanting to share amoungst siblings etc, but at the same time technically each person did/does need their own licensed game to play =/

The same applies to retail games, when you first play it is linked to your active psn account, so lets say I do act 1 in uncharted, then my wife wants to play in vita, she will not be able to earn trophies etc unless she formats the uncharted cart data resetting it to her PSN.

It's not at all like the nintendo system where I could use "save slot 1" and my wife could use "save slot 2" sorta deal, there is no passing back and forth without formatting or resetting, this is done this way to keep trophy support secure, as well as prevent outside tinkering and hacking of the system and games.

Keep in mind a hacked system with stolen games on the loose is by no means appealing to developers, so the longer sony can keep vita on lockdown the better for all of us, even if it might not seem like that... no dev support means no games and no games means no vita.

*Now that I think about it though, I guess as long as you keep it offline at all times you might be able to have 2 going with your digital content at the same time because it wouldn't be able to know that 2 are on at the same time, but kinda kills any multiplayer/updates aspects, but for parents you could possibly have 2 on the go with one game purchase again providing the don't go online to sign eachother out /shrug, I won't know for sure until I get my paws on two systems, but it's possible in theory.

Message 3 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 8, 2012

well, does that mean that me and my brother, each having a ps vita system (and signed in to the same account on both) cannot activate both ps vitas? so only one vita can be activated on each account at any one time?

Message 4 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Feb 8, 2012

derico8 wrote:

well, does that mean that me and my brother, each having a ps vita system (and signed in to the same account on both) cannot activate both ps vitas? so only one vita can be activated on each account at any one time?

Yes, that means if you plan on using the same PSN account, only 1 vita could be playing a game at each given time. All the 2 limit means is that if you registered both under your account, you could play on one or the other if needed.

In order to play together you would both need your own PSN accounts, and your own games. It's a 1:1 ratio now, we can't get away with sharing anything anymore, for me it meant doubling up on a few game pre-orders so my wife and I could both play together in games like hot shots/modnation etc.

It's no doubt more expensive but you can see why they are enforcing the policy. Frankly we abused it way too much before, I know people that had 5 people in total sharing games that only 1 bought on PSN, not really fair to the developers honestly =/

Message 5 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3561 posts

Feb 8, 2012

No. You BOTH can be activated at the same time.

Offline kind of games from PSN can both be played at the same time.

The only problem that arises in this sort of situation is how some software doesn't want two of you at the same time ... online play of somethings. So it'll depend.

We've been doing this with PSP's for years now in my one household family. The only problem we've encountered is Syphon Filter: Combat Ops ... but we were able to delete the sign-in account and sign in as each person's real PSN ID without changing the actual activation. This allowed us to run 3 or 4 (as we could do up to 5 at the time with the licensing) as we wished to using my PSN ID purchase of Combat Ops at the same time.

We can all play Fieldrunners at the same time, Little Big Planet PSP at the same time, etc.

Message 6 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

No. You BOTH can be activated at the same time.

Offline kind of games from PSN can both be played at the same time.

The only problem that arises in this sort of situation is how some software doesn't want two of you at the same time ... online play of somethings. So it'll depend.

We've been doing this with PSP's for years now in my one household family. The only problem we've encountered is Syphon Filter: Combat Ops ... but we were able to delete the sign-in account and sign in as each person's real PSN ID without changing the actual activation. This allowed us to run 3 or 4 (as we could do up to 5 at the time with the licensing) as we wished to using my PSN ID purchase of Combat Ops at the same time.

We can all play Fieldrunners at the same time, Little Big Planet PSP at the same time, etc.

Key word there is Offline only, again anytime you update/go online/system contacts online/look at PSN/sync trophies etc, you will essentially deactivate the other system. So yes it is possible to bypass it with 2 vitas being offline only, but in cases where you want to play with eachother online, it's going to bin one of the two systems.

The vita is much more online based then the PSP ever was, so it will be really hard not to need to have the systems online at various times for different reasons. Again best bet is to play fair and just both use your own accounts and buy your own games, for online games you will have to do this anyways in the end if you actually want to play with others.

From a legal standpoint as well, I am saying that for all intents it's one game, one system. Using it in any other way violates the TOS, not that I care what people do, but I'm not promoting people to rip off sony, ie: if 2 want to play, then 2 need to pay sorta deal...

Message 7 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Here let me explain it.

If you have 2 vitas you can do things normally with both because both vitas have their own vita id code and player created device name. When those 2 vitas are on the same account you will not have a problem getting updates or trophies because those 2 vitas are still seperate. Example, when you goto register the vita and prime the memory card and other settings you at that time name your vita, lets say vita1 and vita2, you will be putting in the added info that makes both vitas different when registering to an account. Each vita is a seperate device on the account and is treated differently based on the device id code and player made name the device has. So when you goto buy a game download, both devices can download that same game and play that same game online and offline with no problem.

Its the same with psp's but with more features. I have 2 psp's and have had no problems downloading content or anything else becayse the psn see's my psp's seperatly even though they are on my account. As for trophies, they are seperate, because if they didnt keep each vita seperate on the same account then you would get to many complaints of siblings overiding the others trophies.

So remember even if you have 2 vita's per account it dont mean they are seen as one device, each vita has a id code and a name to be identified.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 8 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3561 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Yes, I agree with your descriptions of how it works.

Message 9 of 21 (18,161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3561 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Offline .... no not only. For example, we have 4 PSP's in our house now, we all are activated as my account and can be downloading from PSP store at the same time. Browsing the Store at the same time.

Games that are ONLINE and require a PSN ID sign-in don't always want more than one device of a PSN ID into the chat/online play ... as is Syphon Filter: Combat Ops (an online play game) so you just make the "sign-in" part of the PSP to be the other PSN ID, but don't "activate" or "deactivate" the original PSN ID that downloaded the games. (you delete the account on the PSP for sign-in, put in the other, then later delete that and sign-in with the first PSN ID that things are activated to.

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow online you sign-in with a name, but NOT PSN ID.

This is all PSN digital content we are talking about.

On a PS3 I can play games on two different machines and earn Trophies on both. I can't sync or be signed in at the same time, but I can play games at the same time as me, since my machine has my account on it, and I only sign-in to PSN ID when I need to. I have Plus, so I don't earn Trophies separately (Cloud Saves), I keep them tied to me. On my PS3 I can play a game that is downloaded and has trophies and get them, and someone on the other PS3 can play the exact same game at the same time and earn trophies on their account.

PSP always seemed totally locked down, and it is, but isn't as well. In the days of UMD you didn't much have any use of using your PSN ID on it. No need to go to the PSN store if you didn't buy digital. So you could have anyone play the UMD games.

It's the digital content that is confusing for folks, it was 5/5 policy before, now it's 2/2 ... and it has people so confused now with the tighter numbers. You can only have TWO devices activated at the same time ... to play it on another (third) device you have to deactivate one of the two that are activated. That's all that the "only 2" means.

-------------------------------

Bonus Topic:

-------------------------------

There is also the family Master Account/Sub Account confusion, how it sounds like it would work and how it actually works is pathetic. I have long wished that the PSP could have a Master Account for buying and the Sub Account PSN ID can download what I say they can. --But it's only that I can control age appropriate content for them, and also allow them money from my wallet. The thing is, I can't play any games they use from my money to buy with their sub account. And neither can they use any games I buy with my Master account.

---------------------------------

So the question the OP is asking is not exactly clear as to what he wants to know.

Yes, you can have two PS Vitas activated with one PSN ID.

From there, what is it you want to do? Share an account to download, earn Trophies and such? Depends on what you want, or care about.

I've always had the PSP's activated with my PSN ID in our house, but the Vita's will not be done that way. Trophies being the thing, I don't want my Trophies to be mixed with what my son does, and he wants his own as well, just as on the PS3. We'll be having to get separate digital downloads because of this. The 2 I can get will go on my Vita and my daughters PSP. My old PSP will have older content only. My son had the benefit of my Plus membership with the free games I got. Now he won't any longer. I'll have to give him money to buy his own stuff.

We'll get physical game card games mostly though, I think. That's another issue entirely. For that, two copies are needed if the two Vita's will be playing the same game at the same time, absolutely. Just as on the PSP, physical copies, UMD, you needed 2 to play together (adhoc or infrastructure) And on the PS3 using Blu-ray Disc games you need 2 copies to play at the same time on 2 machines.

Side note: We called Sony for help clearing activation in November because we had an extra PSP on my account that was defective, so we had them wipe it for us (the online button didn't work right for us) My husband talked to them, and he asked some PSN ID activation PSP questions, and the lady told him that "you can be signed-in/activated with your PSN ID that is a subaccount and download the Master Account games on that PSP" .... Ha ha ha. Nope. Not. You can't do that. It SHOULD work that way, but it doesn't. So don't listen to everything you hear or read. Experimentation is always the best thing, testing for yourself what works and what doesn't.

Message 10 of 21 (18,161 Views)