Sep 14 2012
By: cowboys82x First Son 3 posts

online passes

35 replies 177 views Edited Sep 14, 2012

me and my bro share a ps3 and we bought nhl. we have different user accounts and i put the online pass on my name instead of his. he plays online more then me. is there anyway to switch the online pass? i dont mind buying one also but ive been to the ps3 store and they dont have the online passes yet and neither does gamestop. gamestop has no idea when they will  be selling them. thanks in advance

Message 1 of 36 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Re: online passes

Sep 14, 2012

Online Passes shouldn't exist in the first place. They are a major inconvenience and they show a significant lack of trust with publishers and consumers.

Message 2 of 36 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 14, 2012

100percent agree but for right now i need it. but right now i cant get any info on when they will sell the pass

Message 3 of 36 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 14, 2012

forest1903 wrote:

Online Passes shouldn't exist in the first place. They are a major inconvenience and they show a significant lack of trust with publishers and consumers.

Incorrect.....

Online passes helps to mitigate the lost profits from consumers buying used games and using their online services. This is especially important with games that are not quite popular, like say the COD franchise where its pretty much a guarantee that Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward will get hundreds upon millions in sales (remember, MW3 grossed $700million in a very short time)

You wouldn't want your little budding game development company LOSE money because people are buying your games used and playing online for free would you?

When you understand the overhead costs associated with developing a game within a set budget, you have to make choices to better reflect your investment.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 36 (164 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
39410 posts

Sep 14, 2012

Well said!

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 5 of 36 (159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

forest1903 wrote:

Incorrect.....

Online passes helps to mitigate the lost profits from consumers buying used games and using their online services. This is especially important with games that are not quite popular, like say the COD franchise where its pretty much a guarantee that Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward will get hundreds upon millions in sales (remember, MW3 grossed $700million in a very short time)

You wouldn't want your little budding game development company LOSE money because people are buying your games used and playing online for free would you?

When you understand the overhead costs associated with developing a game within a set budget, you have to make choices to better reflect your investment.

Does that count for any other product sold in any capitalist society? Would a seller of TVs purposefully exclude the ability to bookmark channels or even scan for new ones until a pass code was inputted over the internet to do so? Would a car manufacturer exclude the radio function from a car if it were bought used? Would a book publisher exclude the final chapter in a book if it were bought used? Would a film publisher exclude key features from a movie DVD or Blu-Ray film if it were bought used?

Under capitalist rule, products sold no longer belong to you, they belong to the person who bought them. They are allowed to do whatever they want with that product. Similarly, if I buy a book, a film on DVD or Blu-Ray, or a copy of a game, I have the right to do what I want with it.

Besides, if used games are such a problem, why doesn't Sony or EA set up their own stores and compete with companies like Gamestop by selling used games and trade-in credits? Why not set up an online distribution service by buying and selling its own used games like how Ebay and Amazon have?

Message 6 of 36 (157 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Sep 14, 2012

cowboys82x wrote:

me and my bro share a ps3 and we bought nhl. we have different user accounts and i put the online pass on my name instead of his. he plays online more then me. is there anyway to switch the online pass? i dont mind buying one also but ive been to the ps3 store and they dont have the online passes yet and neither does gamestop. gamestop has no idea when they will  be selling them. thanks in advance

As for your problem, I'd reccommend either writing to the publisher or waiting untill the online pass goes on PSN store. F.3.A.R. had a very similar problem in that, on launch day, online passes were not available to buy from the PSN store until much later. My appologies if I could not help you. I hate online passes as much as the next person, but until EA, Sony, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., THQ, or any other studio using the online pass acknowledges that these passes are bad for the industry, It's something we need to put up with.

Message 7 of 36 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2012

forest1903 wrote:

Does that count for any other product sold in any capitalist society? Would a seller of TVs purposefully exclude the ability to bookmark channels or even scan for new ones until a pass code was inputted over the internet to do so? Would a car manufacturer exclude the radio function from a car if it were bought used? Would a book publisher exclude the final chapter in a book if it were bought used? Would a film publisher exclude key features from a movie DVD or Blu-Ray film if it were bought used? 
I see what you're trying to get at, but you're wording or understanding of it is all wrong.....  We are talking about ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. Not "special features" or  having the ability to bookmark a channel on your TV (which by the way, is more than likely done through your cable/satellite providers set-top box should you have a subscription service). Movies, more or less, gross higher sales from movie theatre sales and their "residuals" come in the form of home movie sales. In that sense, they already have your money, and they dont have a "service" to offer to the end user except a 2 hour show that they've already made massive profits from.

Under capitalist rule, products sold no longer belong to you, they belong to the person who bought them. They are allowed to do whatever they want with that product. Similarly, if I buy a book, a film on DVD or Blu-Ray, or a copy of a game, I have the right to do what I want with it. 
Whereever you learned that from, your forget that most EULA's tend to have wording that insinuates that we only purchased a license to use their product, not ownership. You also forget about copyright law..... you cannot "do whatever I want"..... you merely own a privilege to own a product, provided that you abide by the federal regulations. 
Without persmission, you cannot copy, rent, resell, duplicate or otherwise modify the original intent of a movie or game. Your $20-30-40-60 price tag, is a "Admit One" ticket for personal enjoyment.
In the instance of entertainment, copyright laws supercedes "capitalist rule"

Besides, if used games are such a problem, why doesn't Sony or EA set up their own stores and compete with companies like Gamestop by selling used games and trade-in credits? Why not set up an online distribution service by buying and selling its own used games like how Ebay and Amazon have?
Because that would mean EVEN MORE overhead, and in fact.... Sony does have its own boutique store called "Sony Style", they are far and few between, but they exist and some even buy and sell video games along with all their other products.
And Sony actually shut down quite a few of these stores over the past few years due to low sales volume..... 
If you have a seemingly reasonable idea as to how to implement such a system where developers and publishers alike recieve residual income from used game sales, then I encourage you to put forth the effort in making it "legit" and present the idea to these companies...... Im sure they'd love to listen to someone with such an idea.

Obviously making a post on a forum isn't doing anything

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 36 (130 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Sep 14, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

forest1903 wrote:

I see what you're trying to get at, but you're wording or understanding of it is all wrong.....  We are talking about ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. Not "special features" or  having the ability to bookmark a channel on your TV (which by the way, is more than likely done through your cable/satellite providers set-top box should you have a subscription service). Movies, more or less, gross higher sales from movie theatre sales and their "residuals" come in the form of home movie sales. In that sense, they already have your money, and they dont have a "service" to offer to the end user except a 2 hour show that they've already made massive profits from.

Whereever you learned that from, your forget that most EULA's tend to have wording that insinuates that we only purchased a license to use their product, not ownership. You also forget about copyright law..... you cannot "do whatever I want"..... you merely own a privilege to own a product, provided that you abide by the federal regulations. 
Without persmission, you cannot copy, rent, resell, duplicate or otherwise modify the original intent of a movie or game. Your $20-30-40-60 price tag, is a "Admit One" ticket for personal enjoyment.
In the instance of entertainment, copyright laws supercedes "capitalist rule"

Because that would mean EVEN MORE overhead, and in fact.... Sony does have its own boutique store called "Sony Style", they are far and few between, but they exist and some even buy and sell video games along with all their other products.
And Sony actually shut down quite a few of these stores over the past few years due to low sales volume..... 
If you have a seemingly reasonable idea as to how to implement such a system where developers and publishers alike recieve residual income from used game sales, then I encourage you to put forth the effort in making it "legit" and present the idea to these companies...... Im sure they'd love to listen to someone with such an idea.

Obviously making a post on a forum isn't doing anything

Do publishers really benefit from using online passes? Used game sales have existed since the Atari 2600 days and I don't recall a single developer/publisher saying that used games were a problem up until when EA popularized the online pass. Besides, in case you didn't know, accoriding to IGN, 17% of new purchases from Gamestop are made with in-store credit from TRADED IN USED GAMES. Would it feel alright to a publisher if that number were to drop if people got less credit from thier games because of the online pass? (You see, with the online pass, retailers often have to lower prices on used games in order to get people to buy them. Those who traded in the games get less credit to spend on more games in return.)

Even then, what you may not realize is that in order for a game to be sold used, it has to be sold brand new at some point. The time on those online servers that you are talking about WERE paid for by the original customer who bought the game new. Online play is a lot like a parking meter. If I go up to an empty parking space and I see that the meter still has 30 minutes on it from the last driver who used it and I use those 30 minutes, did I steal them? No, I didn't.

Message 9 of 36 (126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Sep 14, 2012
Being honest I find the online pass system to be offensive but it hasn't affected me yet considering I don't even trust let alone buy used games. Although it does raise the question if it's one code per disc or per online account? It could come into play when trying to rent a game to try it out.
www.youtube.com/user/thelegendarygbd
Message 10 of 36 (120 Views)
0 Likes