Highlighted
Apr 21 2013
By: v1per_n1ck First Son 1 posts

ps4 backwards compatibility

111 replies 1059 views Edited Apr 21, 2013

I'm very upset about the non-compatibility between the ps3 and ps4, there is no reason why the ps4 shouldnt be able to hand or play ps3 games, this is very annoying considering new games are coming out all year, name brand names for the ps3 and yet the ps4 is suppose to come out sometime later this year, I have loved the playstation franchise and stuch with them only left for halo on xbox for a tiny bit of time, i would really love it if someone would actually care about their customers and listen to them, im sure im no the only PS fan that is a bit ticked off about the non-compatibility. PLEASE FOR (insert your god) SAKE IMPLEMENT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY. thanks.

Message 1 of 112 (1,059 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

v1per_n1ck wrote:

I'm very upset about the non-compatibility between the ps3 and ps4, there is no reason why the ps4 shouldnt be able to hand or play ps3 games, this is very annoying considering new games are coming out all year, name brand names for the ps3 and yet the ps4 is suppose to come out sometime later this year, I have loved the playstation franchise and stuch with them only left for halo on xbox for a tiny bit of time, i would really love it if someone would actually care about their customers and listen to them, im sure im no the only PS fan that is a bit ticked off about the non-compatibility. PLEASE FOR (insert your god) SAKE IMPLEMENT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY. thanks.

NO

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 112 (1,056 Views)
MVP Support
10911 posts

Apr 21, 2013

The PS4 will run on completely different hardware than the PS3 does.  Sony has already stated that they may be able to support SOME PS3 games on the PS4 via software emulation, but emulating any game that uses Cell-specific features would be very, very difficult (which would encompass about 90% of the PS3 game library).

Including the PS3 hardware in the PS4 would be cost prohibitive due to the extra cooling that would be needed for both the Cell and the AMD hardware.  A hardware-backward compatible PS4 would likely exceed $1,000.

Simple solution:  Keep your PS3 for PS3 games.  It will continue to be supported for at least another five to six years, if history is any indicator (the PS2 was officially discontinued in February 2013, nearly 7 years after the release of the PS3).

Message 3 of 112 (1,042 Views)
MVP Support
13578 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Even the next Xbox is believed to not have B/C.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 112 (1,035 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

The PS4 will run on completely different hardware than the PS3 does.  Sony has already stated that they may be able to support SOME PS3 games on the PS4 via software emulation, but emulating any game that uses Cell-specific features would be very, very difficult (which would encompass about 90% of the PS3 game library).

Including the PS3 hardware in the PS4 would be cost prohibitive due to the extra cooling that would be needed for both the Cell and the AMD hardware.  A hardware-backward compatible PS4 would likely exceed $1,000.

Simple solution:  Keep your PS3 for PS3 games.  It will continue to be supported for at least another five to six years, if history is any indicator (the PS2 was officially discontinued in February 2013, nearly 7 years after the release of the PS3).

SCEA Vice President of Hardware Marketing announced that Sony intends to continue support of the PlayStation 3 until at least the year 2015. Which means, like the PS2, it will stop getting any kind of great "exclusive" in a few years and just pump out the occasional dumbed-down multi-plat sports title, like PS2 did, until it was officially discontinued.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 5 of 112 (1,034 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Here we go again... the mods just need to get all these threads and combine them into one official one so people can just go and look and type till their soul's content about how they want BC on PS4 and not be filling the forums up with the same topic every few days
Message 6 of 112 (1,032 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Even the next Xbox is believed to not have B/C.

Actually, there have been rumors that state the contrary. Google it and see. If this turns out to be true, then the PS4 would be the only one next generation not to have any kind backwards compatibility. 

----------------------------------

To answer the OP, I am also disappointed that the PS4 is not backwards compatible. The PS4 is not backwards compatible apparently because they would have a hard time getting "supporting hardware", I saw this in an interview with the designers of the PS4. They said that if all they needed was the cell processor, that would have been easy but according to Sony, it's not the case.

“Backwards compatibility, particularly in Japan, is something that is strongly brought frequently, so we thought long and hard about this. Realistically, to support backwards compatibility with PS3, the CELL Broadband Engine would have needed to been part of the new console. Currently, it’s not possible to simulate this via software. If CELL were the only requirement, that wouldn’t have been much of an issue.”

“We would also need to support the supporting hardware indefinitely. We can freely manufacture CELL if the decision is made that it is needed. However, that’s not the case with supporting hardware. There are parts which will become difficult to obtain since 7 years is already considered to be long in the IT industry…”

“We would also need to support the supporting hardware indefinitely. We can freely manufacture CELL if the decision is made that it is needed. However, that’s not the case with supporting hardware. There are parts which will become difficult to obtain since 7 years is already considered to be long in the IT industry…”

Source:

http://www.thegamersdrop.com/2013/04/10/ps4-cerny-and-ito-talk-about-backward-compatibility-and-x86-...

I wish the PS4 was backwards compatible. Anyways, I already had to buy a second PS3 after my 60 GB PS3 died.  I won't buy another PS3, so when it dies, I guess my collection will be become useless.  Having backwards compatibility would ensure my  PS3 game library would last longer, but I guess it will last as long as my PS3 lasts, but whatever. I think I may consider buying my games on PC whenever possible and just buy a PS4 for the exclusives. I don't really know yet.

Message 7 of 112 (1,010 Views)
Survivor
2609 posts

Apr 21, 2013

I'm sure Sony would have added Backwards Compatibility if it as easy. If Sony was against BC after they dropped PS2 BC in the PS3 then why does the Vita have PSP BC? If Sony truly hated the idea of BC then it makes no sense that the Vita would have PSP BC.  The fact that Vita does have PSP BC means creating an emulator for the PSP wasn't that hard at all, unlike with the PS4 where creating an universal emulator for PS3 games would be incredibly difficult due to the complexity of the Cell Processor.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 8 of 112 (967 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2013

Bulletpainpills wrote:

I'm sure Sony would have added Backwards Compatibility if it as easy. If Sony was against BC after they dropped PS2 BC in the PS3 then why does the Vita have PSP BC? If Sony truly hated the idea of BC then it makes no sense that the Vita would have PSP BC.  The fact that Vita does have PSP BC means creating an emulator for the PSP wasn't that hard at all, unlike with the PS4 where creating an universal emulator for PS3 games would be incredibly difficult due to the complexity of the Cell Processor.

It's not Sony who seems to be against the concept of backwards compatibility, rather it seems like the gamers are the ones who are against it.

Message 9 of 112 (960 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 10 of 112 (956 Views)